Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Besides the car seat vest- other options for middle row lap belt only seats?

Do I have any other options? We have a Mazda MPV- so it's small and DD (5) has a radian 80 in the passengers side in the way back- but we often need to transport other kids- kids no longer in car seats- age 9 and 10- but the lap belt is not acceptable and if I put the radian in the middle (and I can) it's tough for daily use KWIM? So Iam looking for a solution to turn the middle lap belt into a safe seat with as little cost and complication as possible........ suggestions?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: Besides the car seat vest- other options for middle row lap belt only seats?

Britax used to manufacture a product called the Laptop that worked with lap belts. I think they've been the market since 2002 or 2003, so you might be able to find a gently used one from a reputable source to use for a short while (six year expiry, if I recall correctly).

CPS Technician crunchierthanthou's Avatar

Re: Besides the car seat vest- other options for middle row lap belt only seats?

I believe all laptops are officially expired. They met their demise with the introduction of LATCH, which has been required since September 2002.

There's the 86-Y, but getting an appropriate anchor installed can be tricky in some vehicles.

Does your center position have a headrest?

no center headrest- why>

Quote Originally Posted by augustgirl69 View Post
    no center headrest- why>
    because it will make a difference in what products will work.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

OK so the harness looks better to me as I am going to have to out my 9 yo in it and the vest may be too babyish KWIM? I have a tether in my van for it so is that I would need? It's for such occasional use.
    THANKS mamas!

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus Defrost's Avatar

I think the vest you're talking about is the Ride Safer Travel Vest? Keep in mind that it also requires a tether when used with a lap-only seat belt.

As for the 86Y, the tether anchor that came with your van has a weight limit, so for kids using the 86Y over that weight limit, you have to install a heavy-duty tether anchor instead. That job can range from pretty simple in a sedan, to impossible in other vehicles like vans and SUVs.

Now, as for the weight limit: in this case you have a Mazda, and since Mazda defers to the carseat manufacturer, that means you go by the limit set by EZ-On. They have an 80lb maximum-allowed weight for anything except their heavy-duty tether anchor. If your 9yo is over 80lbs, you'll have to install the heavy-duty tether anchor to use the 86Y. Also, if your 9yo is under 65lbs, you MUST use a booster with the 86Y - it's required.

I have an 86Y and I like it for what it is, but I think you'll find that it's even more of a hassle than just using the Radian in that seating position.
    Debbie, CPST-I
    driving my '07 Mazda5 with
    Thomas (18) * Sam (17) * Patrick (15) * Macha (13)
    Safely secured with seat belts - everyone, every ride!

the last laptops expired in august of 08... so last month.

the 86-Y harness or ride safer vest would be a great option, but you definitely need to make sure you can tether when necessary.

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos