Besides the car seat vest- other options for middle row lap belt only seats?

augustgirl69

Do I have any other options? We have a Mazda MPV- so it's small and DD (5) has a radian 80 in the passengers side in the way back- but we often need to transport other kids- kids no longer in car seats- age 9 and 10- but the lap belt is not acceptable and if I put the radian in the middle (and I can) it's tough for daily use KWIM? So Iam looking for a solution to turn the middle lap belt into a safe seat with as little cost and complication as possible........ suggestions?

ADS

Neatfreak

Britax used to manufacture a product called the Laptop that worked with lap belts. I think they've been the market since 2002 or 2003, so you might be able to find a gently used one from a reputable source to use for a short while (six year expiry, if I recall correctly).

crunchierthanthou

I believe all laptops are officially expired. They met their demise with the introduction of LATCH, which has been required since September 2002.

There's the 86-Y, but getting an appropriate anchor installed can be tricky in some vehicles.

Does your center position have a headrest?

augustgirl69

OK so the harness looks better to me as I am going to have to out my 9 yo in it and the vest may be too babyish KWIM? I have a tether in my van for it so is that I would need? It's for such occasional use.
THANKS mamas!

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I think the vest you're talking about is the Ride Safer Travel Vest? Keep in mind that it also requires a tether when used with a lap-only seat belt.

As for the 86Y, the tether anchor that came with your van has a weight limit, so for kids using the 86Y over that weight limit, you have to install a heavy-duty tether anchor instead. That job can range from pretty simple in a sedan, to impossible in other vehicles like vans and SUVs.

Now, as for the weight limit: in this case you have a Mazda, and since Mazda defers to the carseat manufacturer, that means you go by the limit set by EZ-On. They have an 80lb maximum-allowed weight for anything except their heavy-duty tether anchor. If your 9yo is over 80lbs, you'll have to install the heavy-duty tether anchor to use the 86Y. Also, if your 9yo is under 65lbs, you MUST use a booster with the 86Y - it's required.

I have an 86Y and I like it for what it is, but I think you'll find that it's even more of a hassle than just using the Radian in that seating position.

Kat_Momof3

the last laptops expired in august of 08... so last month.

the 86-Y harness or ride safer vest would be a great option, but you definitely need to make sure you can tether when necessary.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC