WWYD

teacher01

I occassionally need a friend of mine to pick up my DS from school. (We're talking like once a month.) They would only be traveling a few miles with no highways. My DS is 3 1/2, 33lbs. Would you be comfortable putting him in a booster for that long? I am concerned about her not being able to install my car seat correctly if I left it, and I was thinking that a booster would be easier for her to use. I am just not sure if he is big/old enough to be safe in a booster.

ADS

Citrine

Is there a way you could teach your friend how to install your car seat? I would not feel safe and would have an uneasy feeling the day your friend did drive him. I know if my 4yr old was not in a harness, she would be all over the place in a seat belt. But it all depend on the maturity of the child. Do you think your child could sit still the whole ride? I would not do it

Olivia 4.26.04 37lb 43in Regant, GN
Makayla 9.16.06 25lb 33in RF Wizard

teacher01

I may be able to teach her. She has lupus, so I am not sure how hard it will be for her. I am not going to be able to install it, as DH drops him off in the mornings, and he is terrible at getting the seats installed.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I would not feel comfortable with a pretty small 3.5 year old in a booster unless it was an emergency situation. If you know in advance, I'd leave a harnessed seat for her to transport your child.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Ooh, tough one. Does she have to pick him up? If she can't keep him safe, then how important is it that he ride with her?

I'd ask her to install seats, see if she has issues, and if so what, and think about what you can do to make it easier. Maybe a Ride Safer Travel Vest is something she can handle, but a Nautilus isn't. KWIM?

Wendy

TerisBoys

Ooh, tough one. Does she have to pick him up? If she can't keep him safe, then how important is it that he ride with her?

I'd ask her to install seats, see if she has issues, and if so what, and think about what you can do to make it easier. Maybe a Ride Safer Travel Vest is something she can handle, but a Nautilus isn't. KWIM?

Wendy

Doesn't the RSTV start at 35# though?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Crud. Forgot that. For *most* kids asking about boosters it's a safe alternative. LOL

It could end up being the best thing given the situation, though, as much as I hate to recommend that. If the sitter can't install a seat it'll be up to a 3.5 year old in booster or two pounds shy of an RSTV.

Would an 86Y work? What year is the friend's car?

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC