DOM ?

U

Unregistered

Ok so I know that I want to get a Recaro Signo, but after reading these fabulous forums I also know that I should find out the DOM before ordering one online. I have called bru and yahoo and neither one could tell me the info. So how do you find out? The bru lady said it doesn't matter, and after I explained why it mattered to me she quite abruptly got rude.

TIA

ADS

Kalinky

Senior Community Member
I'd call BRU again and if you get the same sort of response, ask to talk to that person's manager. DOM does matter, and if someone can't answer such a simple question, AND gets rude, they shouldn't be doing what they're doing. If they're answering the phone, that means customer service...make them do their job.

U

Unregistered

I called bru back and spoke to 3different people and still got no where. The person who said they were the lead/manager told me they have no way of knowing that info unless they look at the actual box of the carrier. She tried to assure me that none of their seats are dangerous or expired.?. I did explain that I wanted to make sure I wasn't paying full price for a carrier that had a dom of Dec or something. Anyway I have so had it with bru..can anyone recommend a site to buy a recaro signo that can get it to me within the next week or so? Before reading this site I thought I had about a month before ds outgrew his infant seat, but I was wrong...the top of his head is at the same level of the shell of his seat. Such a tall skinny thing :)

firemomof3

I would try elitecarseats.com
You can call them and they have always been very helpful & knowledgable.
Good luck!
FYY I have 2 signos and LOVE them! But when I got mine they were almost a year old :mad: I got mine from baby bungalow

U

Unregistered

Thanks! I ordered one from them today :) I got my order in before 4pm and I should get the seat tomorrow (they were fabulous to talk to..compared to bru). They also couldn't tell me the dom, but they have the return shipping insurance for free right now so I am good with that. My DS will hopefully LOVE his new seat. He can't dispise it anymore than his infant carrier; which as soon as he sees it starts screaming like he is possibly going to be killed (never good in crowded parking lots).
Thanks again for all of the info on these forums! I am hoping to get an appt at our township safety center next week to have it installed. :)

Wineaux

Getting an older DOM on one of the Recaro's, or any other seat for that matter, isn't necessarily a really bad thing, if the place you buy it from is willing to discount it for you based upon the age of the seat. You can either do this by the year or the month. Whatever both you and the company selling the seat agree upon. If you can't come to a mutual agreement, then return the seat. It's really that simple.

The formula?

$$$ / X Years = Cost Per Year Of The Seat (Where $$$ is the cost of the seat, and X is the number of years the seat manufacturer says you can use the seat before it expires. Usually 5 or 6.)

$$$ / (X Years / 12 Months) = Cost Per Month Of The Seat (Where $$$ is the cost of the seat, and X is the number of years the seat manufacturer says you can use the seat before it expires. Usually 5 or 6.)

So if the seat you receive is at least 1 year old from the date you receive it, then you most likely would use formula 1 to arrive at an appropriate discount on the seat. If it is less than a year old, or a good bit greater than a year but less than 2 years, then you probably want to use formula 2 to arrive at an appropriate discount.

For instance:
$249.00 (Standard Signo street pricing atm.)
/5 (Years the Signo is good for until expiration.)
-------
$ 49.80 Cost Per Year

So for the case of a 1 year old Signo, you would be asking for an additional $49.80 discount. If they gave this to you, then I would keep an older DOM Signo. There just isn't a reason not to, and it will help up all by clearing old stock out of the suppl chain.

Example 2:
$249.00 (Signo)
/5
--------
$ 49.80
/12
--------
$ 4.15 (Cost Per Month Of The Seat)

So let's say you receive a seat with a December 07 DOM. That would be a 9-month old seat at the time of this posting, so...

$ 4.15 (CPM)
* 9 (Months)
-------
$37.35 (Worth of lost use of the seat.)

So you would request an additional discount of $37.35 in order to make up for the fact that they sold you an older DOM seat.

Losing out on approximately 1 year of seat use isn't all that big of a deal as long as the seat is priced appropriately. Why? A couple of reasons. First, and foremost, children usually outgrow their seats by height before the seat ever expires. Quite honestly, there is a pretty good chance you will be replacing the seat before it expires anyways. The other reason is that there are always new seats and new technologies coming out that make the seats safer, and many folks here replace their seat before it expires with a newer seat that has lots of nifty new features. So really, as long as you are properly compensated for purchasing an older DOM seat, who really cares if you lose 6-18 months of life on the seat? Any seat.
:shrug-shoulders:

Kat_Momof3

albeebaby is also pretty good, but I agree... elite carseats is the best at being able to look at the stock and tell you the dates.

U

Unregistered

Thank goodness for this forum! Ok so I installed the seat, and it's good. Here is my dilema. The DOM is 10/07 that is almost 1year old. So I took the advise and called them to see if they would compensate the price of the year that I loss of not being able to use the seat. Here is what Janene told me (not too happy about the answer). They are not responsible for the DOM or knowing what the DOM is. If someone gets the seat and it's a year old it is not their fault since they have no way of knowing. She said if I want a different seat with a newer date then I should go look at an actual store. At this point I was getting a little miffed (not rude) and asked her that if she bought a 300.00 dishwasher and the warrenty was good for only 5years and once she gets it home and installs it all to find out that it is already 1year old and now the warrenty is good for only 4years even though she paid full price. She said that was like comparing pears and oranges (yup she said pears lol). She said there was nothing anyone could do and if I wanted to return it I could, but only if DS hasn't used it yet.?. WTH So now I have a seat that is 1year old already and I paid full price of 289.00. Any suggestions? Am I being type A about it?

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
If you expect to have another child, but aren't sure about when (and who is?) it's perfectly reasonable not to want to lose a full year of 'life' right off the bat when buying a new seat.

The problem is, just about anyplace except maybe a small boutique, isn't going to be able to tell you the DOM of the exact seat you're going to get. I'd suggest that you return this one if you want a newer DOM (you had free return shipping I think I read) and order from somewhere else.

JCPenney.com carries Signos for $279.99. Free shipping with SAVEFALL. Since they don't carry these in the stores they 'factory ship'...so I would guess that if they're coming directly from Recaro they'd have a newer DOM. That code is good until 9/23.

The only drawback is that it says shipping may be up to 2 weeks. Not sure if you can wait that long.

(ETA: You can return stuff from JCP.com at the store. So no charge for return shipping. Assuming there's one near you.)

Good luck!

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
One more suggestion...

The Sand Signo is $214.99 at Albeebaby right now. Free shipping. It is likely to be not a new DOM, but the price is also significantly lower.

If I calculate the way Wineaux suggests; $289.99 (your cost for a Signo) / 5 years = 57.99 per year. If you get a 1 year old seat you'd expect to pay around $232. So $215 is great! No way to tell, though, if it's going to be even an older DOM than 10/07.

U

Unregistered

Thanks again for everyones posts. Since the customer service lady told me that I am unable to return it since ds has used it I am not sure what to do. I saw the albeebaby one and almost ordered from there, but then changed my mind. Urrgg who knew that it would be that complicated to get good customer service.?. She was having no part of even contemplating the price reduction. How frustrating! On a better note DS is slowly liking his new seat...at least I am not getting stares in the parking lots now. How do I post a picture?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC