Question AT what age for a booster as a spare?

adamsmommy

Ds sits in Radians full time. I cannot get a Radian installed for the life of me. Dh is great. I will extended harness for sure, but considered a booster for a spare for my moms car or my dads. I am just not sure what age I am comfy doing this. Ds is 46 lbs and 43.5 inches born 5/19/05. (not necessarily considering this right away)

ADS

Qarin

We started using a booster very part-time when my (very calm, and non-oppositional) DD was 4.5. I suspect we'll do the same for my second DD... sometime next spring she may get to ride in a booster once in a while. Depending how she does, how seriously she takes it (she's ... less biddable than her older sister), she may be able to use one in my MIL's car. I wouldn't start a kid out with a booster other people's cars unless you're going to be riding with them, or unless you are absolutely confident in those people's ability to make sure the child is riding correctly the whole trip.

Chex

I agree that it depends on a child's disposition, how well they sit in the seat, etc. For me, I waited until they were 5 and I have really big kids (my ds was almost 50 lbs at 5 and was as tall as most 7 year olds). But I know other people are comfortable doing it sooner than that.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I'll start booster training at 4 and 40, just very short rides on non-busy streets during non-busy times of the day.

I'll be moving next summer and will rely on other people (my mom, and possibly my brother and his girlfriend) to transport both kids. If I don't feel comfortable with their ability to install a carseat or use it properly and I am not able to do it ahead of time, I'll leave a Parkway for them to use (foolproof booster that's great for those who can't seem to get it right). However, that means that I need to start booster training around ds's 4th birthday when he should be about 40 pounds.

ZephyrBlue

I think it depends largely on the child. Height and weight play a huge part, but the personality of the child is just as important, IMO.

My 8yo rarely rides in a booster; she just cannot keep still or sit so that the seatbelt is properly positioned 100% of the time. She's more comfortable in a harness, and I am, too. I won't drive on the highway with her in a booster- I cannot drive 75mph and keep checking DD's position in the booster; it endangers everyone in the vehicle.

My 5.5yo is tiny (30lbs, not sure of height, but she's the shortest in her kindy class) and I will let her occasionally ride in the Monterey- only 3 miles to grandma's house- because she sits perfectly in it with no reminding. As a true spare, no way. But for an occasional 3 mile ride in a residential area? Sure, since it's sometimes our only option for grandma's van.

DS is one month older than your little boy and there is no way I'd put him in a booster. I've known a lot of 3 year olds and I've never met one who has the impulse control to sit correctly in a booster, 100% of the time. Even the biggest 3yo who fits wonderfully according to manufacturer's specs can be killed riding in a booster if he/she can't/won't sit correctly- that split second when an accident happens is when it counts, and I wouldn't trust a 3yo to be that perfect, not even occasionally.

scatterbunny

There are so many things to consider, but in general, I am okay beginning what I like to call booster training at 4yo if the child is mature enough and big enough for a booster. My idea of booster training is using the booster for only very short trips at first, on quiet, slow streets, so child and parent aren't terribly distracted or stressed, and gradually increase the length of time for the trips according to the child's abilities. My daughter needed constant reminders to sit still and not lean out of position when she first started riding in her booster, but at age 6 I trusted her enough to use it full-time, and she does great.

I know your 3yo is big for his age, but I'd wait until he's 4 to start booster training, and if he can't handle it, put the booster away for a few months and try again later.

lorinick

I think I'd be comfortable at 4 or 4.5 depending on weight and height. And in emergency situations only. Quick grandparent trips. Not long car rides and no highway driving. Boy I've gotten much stricker since son number 1.

MorgieBear'sMama

I bought my dd a booster at a little over 4 years old and 40lbs. She is still in a harnessed seat most of the time and the booser is only used when she goes a short distance w/ MIL.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
My dd hit 40 lbs at 4.5. We bought a parkway to use for travel, friends cars, dh's car, etc. She rarely gets a chance to ride in it but I feel fine with her in it. It fits her very well and she sits very well in it.

I agree that I would try and wait until yours is 4. 4 and 40 lbs is my minimum.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Generally 4/40, but if you really cannot install your seats at all (as opposed to an adequate but not-great install), I'd rather see a child your son's age and size in a properly used booster than an improperly used harnessed seat. Or you could get a harnessed seat that you are comfortable installing yourself.

adamsmommy

We have been deciding on doing another spare seat. I do not plan on using a booster now as a spare seat. We will figure out ways for my dh to be there until at least 4. Honestly, I think my son would do fine in a booster. But I don't want to find out yet.;)

If I could get a Radian Rf'ing for my dd, I could use her Marathon as a spare. It just won't fit rf'ing in my Aspen behind the driver and there is no middle.

I am not sure why I can't get the Radian installed. I could in my Touareg, but not my Aspen or my moms Sunfire.

I will probally start at 4/40 for very very very very short trips! I have a FPSVD, ETA, and hopefully my frontier will be fixed by then for my lil' guy...he is 32.6 pounds(HUGE GROWTH SPURT, finally) at 3 1/2 years old. I am guessing though 40 pounds won't hit till 4 1/2 or mabey 5.

Mama!

5 years and close to 40 lbs is my own personal preference. THat is for a very very occasional ride in one in Gma's car.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
AJ was about 4.5yo I think. I had to wash his RN and didn't think enough to put him in Evan's seat and get Evan the spare. Oh well, he did great. He uses a booster now if he has to ride w/ non-family or if there's no other real option, like recently when we were down 2 convertibles. We're back to our normal carseat limit so it wouldn't be necessary for him to use one, but he does great when he does and he's almost 5.5yo now. It'll be a while before Evan can use one, 1) he's too small and 2) he's just not as safety cautious.

Kat_Momof3

it's usually somewhere around age 4.5yrs-5.5yrs, IMPE

I'd be OKAY with Ruthie using a booster as a spare if she had to, but we are still holding of as long as we can. I do want to be prepared for it, though, because she's so tall, so it may happen around age 5.

If we had an emergancy where I couldn't get the Radian installed in the cobalt or another car for whoever had to take her for us, then I'd be fine with her in a highback booster and we do have one for that purpose, but her brother has been using it backless in my dh's car. I'm going to switch it for his usual spare backless that is easier for him and now fits him better so we can keep it set up as a highback in the event of an emergency, since we are hitting the worst months of weather here and you just never know.

smurf

DD used a booster for the first time while we were on holidays in Belgium visiting my inlaws. I had asked about car seats for my 3 kiddos and my MIL said she had the works... and DD ended up (much to my horror and dismay) in a Graco Turbobooster, and she did great! She was very well behaved (for the whole 3 weeks of our visit, she was a model passenger).

I ended up getting her a Parkway at about age 4½ for occasional use in my car (she rides in my car to + from daycare, about a 2 mile drive), and she's been doing great in it too.
For long highway trips (in DH's car) she's in a Radian, and will be for another year or so, and then we'll get (hopefully) the new Clek booster!

Chameleon

DD was almost 5 when I introduced a booster to her. She now has one in DH's car and MIL's car, but she rarely rides in them. She does know how to properly sit in one though.

abacus2

I would put my minimums at 4 and 40lbs or 6 and 30lbs. Age and size are both factors in whether a booster will provide proper protection. Also, the law in my state is no boosters until age 4. Other than that, it depends on the child's ability to handle staying in position. My dd started doing short trips in the booster shortly after her 4th bday (she's very big for her age) and has done well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC