Carseat on Air Tran?

jewlsvern

Has anyone flown this airline with a carseat? I have never used them before and I am just wondering how the carseat will fit. I have an EFTA but just bought the Avenue to use on the plane since it is lighter and a little smaller.

Will I have any trouble with this seat RF on the plane? Also a friend will be loaning us their Ford Windstar (90's I think so no LATCH). Will I have any install issues here? Should I bring a pool noodle?

Should I even bother with the Avenue or just use the EFTA I already have?

ADS

disbugsmomma

I don't have any answers for you, but I'm also hoping someone knows how big the seats are. We are flying next month with a FF Scenera.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I flew Air Tran last month with DD1 but we didn't use a carseat on board (we brought her RSTV for use in the car to and from the airport only and used Disney transportation in Orlando). Air Tran uses Boeing 717 planes and the seats in coach didn't seem any smaller or larger than those on larger Boeing 737/757 jets I've flown on and used carseats on. :twocents:

LuvMyCharlie

We flew AirTran in May and it was okay. I didn't have any problems with flight attendants and RF. The install, however, was EXTREMELY upright. So much so, that when my almost 1 year old fell asleep, his chin was all the way on his chest. He just could NOT get comfortable. He only slept 15 minutes the whole 4 hours. He was not a happy camper. We took our spare Comfortsport because it's smaller than the MA he usually rides in. I did, against my better judgement, turn him FF on the return flight. He slept almost the entire time. When he was awake, though, he was able to kick the seat in front of him, and he actually has pretty short legs compared with his torso. Width wise, the seat fit just fine. We're flying Continental next month, and I'm hoping to have better luck with my Scenera on there.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Piper's seats have been on probably eight or 10 different airlines, and I can't even tell you how many types of aircraft. From personal planes up through the Boeing series through Airbus, plus others (Saab-Fairchild, Dehaviland, Beechcraft) and they always fit. Just put the armrest up. Some have more legroom than others, but her seat has never had to be checked because we're on a different airplane. They're not *that* different.

Seatguru.com will give you seat dimenions for different airlines, but it doesn't taking into account putting the armrest up. Which will always get you the inch or two you need.

Wendy

jewlsvern

Thanks for all the info. I hope she will still be able to RF as she has never FF. She just hit 21 pounds a few weeks ago. I don't know how she would react if she was FF.

Where do I find paperwork to take with me as far as guidelines go with car seats and RF? Do I need FAA guidelines as well as the specific airlines?

Would you recommend I take the Avenue over the EFTA?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC