CPST tests

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
What all are you required to be able to do to get certified? I know you have to do a LATCH install, a belt shortening clip, and a belt install but what else? I want to practice what i can beforehand, just to be sure i can do it. i get this sudden fear i'll forget everything i've learned before exams practicing makes the anxiety better. If i do it and i know it was right when it comes time to do the test i can remember "i did this right before. This is just like that time" (not that two installs are the same)

Also what all is on the paper test. Is it stuff like in the newsletter from safekids ("who invented the first traffic light") or is it relevant stuff?

I think i decided to go for it. I had to reregister with safekids to register for the class b/c the name was incorrect and it was a pita to change but as of know i'm ready to go. :) Yippee! (yeah i'm a touch excited)

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Well, each day we practiced with different vehicles & carseats & dummy dolls, etc.... The physical test was a breeze ;) The paper test was also pretty easy :cool: Hanging around here was really all I needed to have passed, but the Jeaopardy review sessions in class did help me memorize more details (like FMVSS & such) -- also, I did learn finally how to install seats without taking my feet off to squat inside them & bounce :p (although I still do this for my own seats, LOL) .... the belt shortening clip was the most difficult thing, but we had plenty of time to practice in class!

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
When thats helpful. I was hoping hanging around here would be helpful! Is it really possible to install a seat without bouncing? I can do a BSC in my sleep so thats not a problem. I'm a little nervous of the latch install i havent done many and i feel much more comfortable doing a belt install.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yep, I was rather surprised that it can be done, too! :p I did need all 4 of the instructors to help come up with ideas on how to maneuver different seats in different vehicles "JUST right" ... but, I'm sure that the parents will appreciate the fact that I no longer have to get my dirty shoes inside their carseats, LOL -- I just do it barefoot in my own (or in friends' who don't mind) because it's still the *best* in stallation technique I have :rolleyes:

LATCH was the easiest part of it -- remember that some carseats can be pulled straight out while others do need you to pull from one side of the seat toward the other side (makes sense?)

Also, if you can possibly get your hands on a belt shortening clip & directions, that's definitely one to practice ... I just know that if/when I run into a situation that requires it, I'll hve to consult my notes :eek:

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
Alex's car seat is currently installed in my front passenger seat with a BSC and i've been doing DN's RFing seat with one since he outgrew his snugride (nearly a year ago) so i dont think i need to worry about that one!

I generally put one knee in the seat and tilt all my weight into it and bounce. I dont like feet so i dont want them on my pretty britax covers (i love my green seats!) I dont know if i could do it without the knee technique, when i got pregnant i weighted less than 100 pounds and i've always fluctuated around that (10 up or down depending on the day) i assume once i give birth i'll go back to somewhere around there (one can dream!) I dont think i can install a seat on hard cushions without using all of my body weight! I guess i'm glad i gained 30 pounds before getting certified, i need it! Can you teach other parents to kneel or bounce in the seat to ensure they get it tight?

griffinmom

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Things on the paper test are all directly from the curriculum. There is no goofy trivia like on the CPS Express email. If you'd like to get a head start, call your lead instructor. Sometimes, if they have received the books early enough, they can send it to you.

Using weight to compress the seat cushion is not pound dependent! A small person (100 pounds) can exert enough weight to properly install a seat. A larger person can do it as well. You practice all the seat installs in class before you do the skills eval for the test. You will have done them over and over by then. You also get several attempts to install the seat properly. While the certification process is about testing your knowledge and abilities, remember the focus of CPS in this country now is not about being an installer of seats. It is about being an effective teacher and helping parents learn how to install their own carseats.

skaterbabs

Good point, Emily. I did an event this morning and the mom was wowed that lil' ol' me ( 5 ft 8, 128 lbs) managed to install her AO in her Durango so tightly the entire car rocked. Of course, it was just a matter of removing the base. :rolleyes: :cool:

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
In my area thats pretty much how ppl use the few local CPSTs. They do checks once a month by appointment and most ppl go every month to have their seat reinstalled. They wont move their seats from one car to another b/c they 'dont know when it can be reinstalled'. If they actually learned it they wouldnt go every month. I hope to be the wierdo of local techs and actually show ppl how to do it and talk about extended RFing and proper chest clip usage. Our techs still use 20 lbs OR one year old to turn FF. Our instructor is from out of town i hope he is more knowledgeable.

skaterbabs

The mom was actually pretty good - her seats were in reasonably tightly. More than an inch, but it was obvious she was trying. Once Itook the base of the AO it went in with no trouble. I didn't make her reinstall because it was obvious to me she knew how, and just needed a bit of assistance.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC