3 across a Chevy Aveo

U

Unregistered

Hi! I was wondering if anyone has installed 3 car seats in a Chevy Aveo or a similar size car? The back seat measures about 50 inches. And the children are 2 1/2 (30lbs & 36 inches), 1 (22lbs & 30 inches (I think) and a newborn.

Any help would be greatly appreciated:)

Thanks!

ADS

jka1217

I don't think 3 across is allowed per manual, at least it's not in ours (we have an '06 Aveo hatchback). The maximum allowed in the Aveo is 2 seats and they have to go outboard. You can do both LATCH, both seatbelt, or one of each, but the max is 2. My guess is there is just not enough room.

This site, http://www.chevrolet.com/safety/during/latch/, shows the combinations allowed for the Aveo. In the third dropdown box select Aveo, and it will bring up the back seat combinations you are allowed, using either LATCH or the seatbelts.

U

Unregistered

After taking with Chevy about the owners manual they said that there is just not enough room because the child safety seats are too big. But that narrower car seats would work just fine (they just state in our manual that there is not enough room not that it can't be done and that we can't hook two car seats to the same latch).

U

Unregistered

So in short you can put three seats in a chevy aveo they just have to be narrow seats:)

jka1217

Well, the narrowest seat would probably be a Radian. I have installed a Radian FF in the Aveo with no problems, can't remember if I did LATCH or the seatbelt though. Haven't tried one RF, but I'm sure it would work too, at least in the center. In the outboard position, I imagine the front seats would have to be up quite a bit for it to fit.

Have you looked through the three across thread? Maybe look for some smaller cars and to see how seats "fit" together.

ETA: I would try some combinations, but the Aveo is gone for a while.

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

What car is the most comparable in size to the chevy aveo?? Would it be a Ford Focus, Honda Civic, Honda Accord or maybe Toyota echo??? The back seat of the Chevy Aveo measures 50 inches approx.

Thanks!

djma

I had a friend who got 2 Graco Cargo's (both harness mode) and an infant seat w/base back there.

It was pretty tight!

scatterbunny

I just went outside and measured the backseat of my 2003 Ford Focus at 49 inches.

I think I'd go with at least one Sunshine Kids Radian (probably forward-facing for the 2yo), at least one Cosco Scenera (rear-facing for the 1yo), and possibly another Cosco Scenera for baby (it's a convertible that tends to fit newborns better than most), if an infant seat won't fit.

I also posted a few photos and three-across configurations I've gotten to work in my car in the successful three across thread here. That entire thread might be worth reading, others may have your exact vehicle, or similar-sized vehicles. :)

U

Unregistered

Thank you for the info I will have to try a few of the combinations:)

Thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC