Help with CPS app

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I got child care for my two kids all set so I can take the upcoming CPS course in my area but I am a little confused by some of the questions on the application. Can any of you help with what they are looking for? I really am not slow but I am wondering if this class maybe just isn't for normal people like me.

It says "Please review the “Statement of Intent” carefully to be sure that you qualify to apply and are willing to meet the involvement commitments once you are certified. " and then in the "Statement of Intent" it says...

"2. Applicants must have attended an eight hour course prior to the class or have equal training and experience. This must be included on the application."

Which is fine if it is really something to do once I am certified like it says but then on the application it asks the following two questions...

"1) Describe training in child passenger safety (cps): (include dates & class titles)

2) Describe types of experience in cps – include number of years:"

But I don't have either of these other then installing my own kids seats. Do I just put n/a or is this course for people whom really do have previous training?

~Danielle (really trying not to come off as a complete moron!)

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
OK, so you didn't attend the 8-hour class? Have you been active in your local community at all, like in attending any events? Even if you just showed up to help with paperwork, it shows that you're committed to helping out.

What they're looking for is that they don't want to waste a training spot on someone who isn't going to "give back." There's nothing more frustrating than teaching a class full of people and having not one of them come back to work an event, except when it comes time to recertify.

I would put down the experience you have installing your car seats, plus the experience you have helping people online. Answering questions online succinctly and accurately is a special skill that not everyone has :D. Also, don't feel bad about calling the class coordinator and talking to him/her about your experience to make sure that you aren't excluded based on your answer to that question. A lot of people come into the tech class with no experience whatsoever.

Good luck!

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
Do you have to fill out the application for all classes or just certain ones? I havent registered for my class yet (cant decide if i'm up for it) but i havent attended any events. i have canvases the area with flyers for CPS and spent hours looking for expired seats (my weekend hobby at this point) does that count? I'm looking forward to doing checks with our 'local' safekids and a couple of other moms i've spoken with would like to look into creating a safekids in our area (or county has one who is offering the classes but they offer limited checks one day a month in the early morning on a weekday, not very parent friendly, and the advise they give isnt the greatest.)

skipspin

I didn' thave to fill out anything like this to register for my class in March. That's about all I can say to help...

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Thank you all for your help! I e-mailed the coordinator for the class and hopefully she will get back to me sometime today. If not I will just call her tomorrow since the deadline for the application isn't until May 23rd. Thanks again!

~Danielle

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC