Is it a real booster?

NannyMom

I saw a booster seat today, that I've never seen before. Not even sure if it really is a booster seat, or maybe an old one? Or maybe just an odd one?

It was big, about as big as a Regent. It had no harness, and nowhere to position a seatbelt. It was just wide, and had slight wings on the side (though they barely stuck out). It was blue, and had what looked like a kangaroo on it (it was small, kinda like you'd see on the pocket area of a shirt).

Any thoughts???

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
That's Downunder Kangaroo booster. Made 1992-2000, so long since expired. You can see a pic of page 4 of the booster pictorial.

We "confiscated" one at a seat check event in June. Seemed like a pretty flimsy seat to me. The belt guides, such as they are, are slits in the spot where the back/sides meet. I can't imagine that they'd position the seat belt very well.

NannyMom

It loooked alot like the Teddy Bear- navy. But I don;t remember it having a gap between the top wings and bottom "wings" (like for a seatbelt to go). Maybe I didn't see the side well enough?

Where do you get a booster like those? How much do they cost? Are they really any good? Not that I want one....I'm just curious.

NannyMom

That's Downunder Kangaroo booster. Made 1992-2000, so long since expired. You can see a pic of page 4 of the booster pictorial.

We "confiscated" one at a seat check event in June. Seemed like a pretty flimsy seat to me. The belt guides, such as they are, are slits in the spot where the back/sides meet. I can't imagine that they'd position the seat belt very well.

It didn't look like it had any slits. Not even for the lapbelt to come across like that one does. Maybe I just didn't see well enough. If I see it again maybe I can ask the Mom about it and perhaps suggest it may be expired :whistle:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
BookMama's probably right about the Kangaroo thing, but they look nearly identical. I wonder if the other company bought the design or something.

Looks like you can get the Teddy Bear Booster at One Step Ahead.

I know absolutely nothing about it, and would be hesitant to get one, mainly due to the lack of adjustability. And the fact that something about it just seems sketchy.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
It didn't look like it had any slits. Not even for the lapbelt to come across like that one does. Maybe I just didn't see well enough. If I see it again maybe I can ask the Mom about it and perhaps suggest it may be expired :whistle:

It's really hard to see the slits. If you look closely at the image in the pictorial, you can see that the shoulder belt isn't going over the top of the booster - it's hard to tell, but it IS routed between the back of the seat and the "wing." The space there is very tight, and I doubt that the seat belt would be able to retract if a child leaned forward and pulled slack into it.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Ok, yeah, this one is really dirty. Been in a room off my burnt down house. Did it look like this, but way cleaner?
IMG_4514.jpg

NannyMom

Ok, yeah, this one is really dirty. Been in a room off my burnt down house. Did it look like this, but way cleaner?

Nope, didn't look like that. That one actually resembles a booster. THis other one didn't really :)

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
The Grizzly bear ones are made out of foam basically, there's nothing plastic on them iirc. It's a giant piece of styrofaom type stuff w/ a cover. :) I've never seen one irl.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC