Pool noodle and Radian?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I think it's ok, but it rarely comes up. Normally the Radian is so close to 45 degrees that it's unnecessary to attempt it. Is this for your seven month old? Your seven month old doesn't need a 45 degree angle, and I can't think of a backseat that is so sloped that the rear facing foot doesn't give all the angle that's needed.

Wendy

jubgulia

I don't need it more reclined. Maybe it wouldn't work at all, but I just need it a little tighter for it to work in my Corolla in the center. The seat belt buckle comes up a little too high even when twisted. I asked for suggestions in the other section (http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=57180), but just thought of this and thought I would ask in the meantime.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
What happens if you leave it untwisted? My middle stalk is SO long that it goes straight into the beltpath of my Radian, both rear and forward facing. Is yours long enough to do that? Make sure you put your hands in the slits on the cover and pull from different angles, add weight, and see if you can pop the buckle right into the beltpath.

Wendy

BW1426

I'm curious, how would you even go about using a pool noodle with the radian :scratches-head:

crunchierthanthou

I'm pretty sure you can't use pool noodles or a rolled towel at all with the Radian. I can't get the manual to load right now, so I can't double check whether it's in there, but I know for sure some techs on this board have been told that by SSK. It's one of the few things Russ is actually consistent on.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm also under the impression that a towel/pool noodles canNOT be used when installing the radian rf'ing.

Just for kicks, I did try to install it rf'ing with the boot and a pool noodle in my truck - the sloped seats make it so I can't get a newborn recline even with the rf'ing tether... What I found was that it really wasn't possible - the rf'ing boot just smushed the pool noodle, and it wouldn't really sit on it properly, it tended to just slide off it.

So from a technical stand point, it's not ok. And from a having-attempted it-just-for-the-heck-of-it stand point, it didn't work.

So no, if you need more recline, you can use the rf'ing tether, but it's a rare vehicle where the boot doesn't recline it enough. My truck would've been fine for an older rf'ing kid, just not a newborn.

Misty-Bug

I have a radian. I was told to NOT use a pool noodle.

Remember if you can't get a good install put it outboard. I put it in my friends Corolla with Latch and it worked GREAT. I had to sit in it to get it loose. BUT it was the outboard position. I don't think you can borrow the anchors in the corolla, someone can correct me if I am wrong.
The bump in the corolla makes the install hard. Keep at it.

jubgulia

I did it! Thanks you guys, you are awesome! :love:

I had to shove it really well into the crack (bight?) of the seat and then sit on it facing the back of the car and kinda bounce on it while pulling hard on the belt out to the side and then up to let it retract and squish in the cushion up by the headrest to let it retract some more. It still moves a little, but not more than 1".

I couldn't get the buckle into the beltpath. The webbing isn't long enough.

Now, I put in the True Fit next to it, FF on the driver's side. That kinda pushed the back of the Radian over to the side a little and they are really shoved together. I can close the door, but it is touching the side of the True Fit. It's not ideal, as I am afraid that DS would get his fingers smashed when the door was closing. Unless I sell the new True Fit (and old cover) when it comes and get another Radian or find a SS1 base, then this is what will have to work to get another person/seat in there for now.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC