Help for my class, please!

ccjones

Hi Ladies!
I'm working on a masters degree in Electrical Engineering, and for some reason, the school said I needed to take a sociology class. Anyway, I was hoping some of you might be able to help me out, because I'd like to write a paper on mothers for the course project.

If you could provide me with the following information, it would be much appreciated:

1. Are you SAHM (stay-at-home-mom), work part-time (less than 40 hrs a week) outside of the home, or work full-time (40 or more hrs a week) outside of the home? If you work(ed) outside the home (either part or full-time), how soon after your children were born, did you return to your job?

2. Did you breastfeed, formula-feed, or use a combination of both with your children? If your children are weaned from breast or bottle, at what age did this occur?

3. Did you use cloth diapers, disposable diapers, or a combination of both with your children? If your children are fully potty-trained, at what age did this occur?

4. What are the current ages of the children referenced in the above questions?

I don't need alot of detail, unless you want to give it. I'll use myself as an example of what I'm looking for:

1. Currently work full-time. Went back to work part-time 6 weeks after Jeremy was born, then went full-time when he turned 6 months.

2. Breastfed for 2 weeks, then switched to formula (soy). Jeremy has not been weaned from a bottle yet.

3. Disposable diapers only, and he still wears them.

4. Jeremy: 10 months (adjusted age: 9 months)

Thanks for your help!
Colleen

ADS

skaterbabs

1. Are you SAHM (stay-at-home-mom), work part-time (less than 40 hrs a week) outside of the home, or work full-time (40 or more hrs a week) outside of the home? If you work(ed) outside the home (either part or full-time), how soon after your children were born, did you return to your job?
I'm a SAHM and have been since 1999-2000. I volunteer for car seat checks as often as I can, though

2. Did you breastfeed, formula-feed, or use a combination of both with your children? If your children are weaned from breast or bottle, at what age did this occur?
My 1st child was FF, my 2nd BF for 6 weeks and then was FF, my 3rd has been BF for 2 1/2 years and shows no sign of weaning any time soon. lol

3. Did you use cloth diapers, disposable diapers, or a combination of both with your children? If your children are fully potty-trained, at what age did this occur?
The boys both wore disposable diapers. #1 potty trained at 3 yrs 9 mos; #2 potty trained at 3 yrs, then regressed for several months. He finally PT'd again at 3 yrs 9 mos. #3 wears cloth and is not yet potty trained.

#1 is 9 yrs, 10 mos; #2 is 8 yrs 2 weeks; #3 is 2 yrs, 7 mos, 3 weeks

Last edited:

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
ccjones said:

SAHM - I used to work full-time before TTC baby #1 and haven't worked outside the home since.

Exclusively pumped for DD#1 until she was slightly over 1 year old, currently BFing DD#2 with no plan to wean, leaving it more up to her to self-wean.

Disposables for both kids; DD#1 fully potty trained at 2 years 9 months and DD#2 is still generating diapers destined for the landfill :eek:

DD#1 is 4 years 4 months; DD#2 is 10 months old.

Michi

1. Are you SAHM (stay-at-home-mom), - Yes ( I was a teacher - School got out in June, but I substitute taught in the fall until about two weeks before my daughter was born - in October)

2. Did you breastfeed, formula-feed, or use a combination of both with your children?
If your children are weaned from breast or bottle, at what age did this occur?
DD#1 - breastfed exclusively for 16 months
DS -breastfed exclusively for 23 months
DD#2 - breastfed exclusively for 7 mos, then suplemented (occasionally) w/ formula, continued to breastfeed until she was 15 mos.
DD#3 - breast fed exclusively for 7 mos, then had to switch to formula because I had to start taking medications for my heart that were 'contraindicated' for breastfeeding :( ( otherwise we'd still be 'going' today)

DD#1 - disposables - potty trained @ 2 1/2
DS - disposables - potty trained @ 3
DD#2 - disposables - 'working on it'
DD#3 - disposables

DD-8 yrs
DS - 6 yrs
DD - 3 yrs
DD -17 mos

Last edited:

rachel3612

Senior Community Member
1. I have not worked since 2 months before I got pg with my DD.

2. DD was bf until 25 months, weaned because of preterm labor with DS. DS bf until 18 months, weaned for medical reasons.

3. I used disposables with my DD until DS was a baby then did both, used both with DS. They were both potty trianed right before they turned three. But both started using the potty before they turned one.

4. DD is 6 years 2 months and DS is 3 years 9 months.

Rachel

Lea_Ontario

I have been a SAHM since about 3 months prior to DS's birth

DS : breastfed only
DD : breastfed only

DS : weaned at 3 years 6 months
DD : not weaned

DS : combo until 4 months old, cloth only after that
DD : cloth only ever

DS : fully diaper-free by 2 years 6 months
DD : not fully potty-trained yet (currently 20 months)

DS : 3 years 8 months
DD : 1 year 8 months

Tara

- SAHM

-Breastfed all 5. They weaned between 14-18 months

#1 only disposable, potty trained around 2-2.5 yr
#2 disp. for 13-14 mo. then cloth for about 3 mo. At which time he was potty trained
#3 cloth until around 20 mo (?) then briefly in disp. Potty trained around 2.5 yr
#4, cloth until 18 mo (?) Potty trained at a little over 2 yr.
#5 has been back and forth from day one, currently in disp.

#1 - 9 yr
#2 - nearly 7 yr
#3 - 4.5 yr
#4 - 27 mo.
#5 - 3.5 mo.

ccjones

Thanks for the replies so far, ladies! Geez, I feel like the oddball because I seem to be the only mother that works full-time. And here's the kicker, I went back to work because I wanted to, not because I had to. This is off the subject from my original post, but for those of you who are SAHMs, do you ever miss working outside the home? If you don't mind me asking, what were some of your careers before becoming a SAHM?

Colleem

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member

SAHM. To answer your later question, I was a web designer. I have zero desire to go back to the 9-5 rat race, but I wouldn't mind a few hours a week with adult contact, but it doesn't have to be work related, I just joined a singing group and that's pretty good.

We breastfed exclusively. She weaned herself at 38 months.

We cloth diapered except for when we traveled, then we used disposables. She completely potty trained on August 3, 2005 at three years 8 days. She had been peeing on the potty since January 12, 2005.

45 months (!!!! When did that happen???)

Wendy

Lea_Ontario

To your latter question.

NO, I don't miss working at all. Too much "office politics" and cattiness for me in the last place I worked - it kind of poisoned the whole concept for me. Sure, some days I miss more adult interaction, but not often.

I worked as an auditor in a hotel prior to becoming a SAHM, full-time graveyard shift (11 pm to 7 am) and it was hard on me mentally and physically, and my health was going downhill even prior to becoming pregnant.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
In my last job outside the home, I worked at a small research and engineering company. My official title was corporate contract administrator, but I also had webmaster and systems administrator responsibilities the last couple of years there. DH and I had always agreed that one of us would be a stay at home parent when we started our family, and that someone turned out to be me. No real regrets here.

skaterbabs

ccjones said:
This is off the subject from my original post, but for those of you who are SAHMs, do you ever miss working outside the home? If you don't mind me asking, what were some of your careers before becoming a SAHM?
The only thing I miss is having nice clothes/shoes and adult conversation. lol The former just doesn't happen and the latter I've found in other avenues. But I never had a "career", and I don't have a college degree, so...

vamom

1. Are you SAHM (stay-at-home-mom), work part-time (less than 40 hrs a week) outside of the home, or work full-time (40 or more hrs a week) outside of the home? If you work(ed) outside the home (either part or full-time), how soon after your children were born, did you return to your job? I am a SAHM, a single parent, and a internet based full time college student. I worked part time from home when my son was 4-5 months old, maintaining a database, but my husband pressured me to quit. I then worked fulltime from home caring for other children from the time my son was 14 months until age 22 months when my marriage dissolved (and I lost my home).

2. Did you breastfeed, formula-feed, or use a combination of both with your children? If your children are weaned from breast or bottle, at what age did this occur? My son was exclusively breast fed until four months, then I was having trouble with my milk production and he was failure to thrive from sveral other problems, so I pumped and added formula to increase calorie content. I had enough back up milk to get me through until my supply increased, with a few fromula only feedings. He nursed regularly until he weaned himself around 12-14 months (it slowed to only comfort feedings). He was bottle fed until around 11 months, when he just gave up his bottle for a cup, but continued on formula until he was 2.

3. Did you use cloth diapers, disposable diapers, or a combination of both with your children? If your children are fully potty-trained, at what age did this occur? I wanted to use cloth, but with an older step child to keep up with and a disapproving family, I used disposable diapers. He was consistantly using the potty from around 19 months until the breakup at 22 months, then regressed. Around 32 months he started peeing in the potty, and was a pro by 33 months.

4. What are the current ages of the children referenced in the above questions? He is currently 40 months!

I was a vet tech and generally do not miss working. I treasure every moment with my son (well, most), and I do not miss the long hours and office politics. I do miss adult contact and all of our wonderful clients.
Good luck with your project.

I have been lurking here for a while, all you guys are great and reading these boards helped me to make my car seat decision. My little man is in a husky now. I did practice extended rear facing until he outgrew his seat by height. This site has given me great things to tell my friends and family who hassle me over my safety choices. THANKS, Ladies

BrookeSLP

SAHM

Breastfed both. DD 1 weaned at 15 months, DD 2 weaned at 24 months

Cloth diapers. DD 1 fully trained (day and night) 25 months, DD 2 fully trained 25 months

4. What are the current ages of the children referenced in the above questions? DD 1 is 3 y 8 m DD 2 is 26 months

Your final question: I have a Master's degree in Speech-Language Pathology and was a practicing pediatric speech pathologist prior to having my first child. I do sometimes miss my job, but I wouldn' t miss out being at home for any job in the world. The thought of my kids in daycare makes me ill. I figure that if I stay home until the youngest is in kinder, I will have missed 6.5 years of work, giving me another 25 years to be 'on the job.' Staying home with my babies in their formative years can never be replaced.

Good luck with you class!!

Dillipop

SAHM who works 3 evenings (9 hours) outside the home. I have worked off and on since DS was 6 months.

Breastfed exclusively (maybe 5 formula bottles in a year, when a babysitter was present) until DS self-weaned at 15 months.

Disposables. DS is 35 months and pretty much fully trained (maybe 1 accident per week)

DS is less than 3 weeks away from turning 3.

Even though I work a little, I don't particularly like it. It is only to be able to put a little into savings each week. I love being home with DS all day and do not like leaving him (with his daddy or nana) to go to work for even 3 hours.

Tara

For the add on question:
I never have had a job outside the home :) So, uh, I don't feel I'm missing anything. No desire to be 'out there'. I'll be at home for a while..we homeschool too :)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
  • I work at our family-owned business & have brought my daughter with me since maternity leave was over ... I work full time & have been taking part time college classes via online degree programs.
  • Exclusively breastfed for 6 months & continued until she weaned herself just before her 4th birthday -- it was extremely important to me because my dad's mom died of breast cancer & my mom's mom had Crohns Disease ... I also have Crohns Disease & breastfeeding reduces my daughter's risk of it while reducing my risk of breast cancer
  • We started using disposable diapers -- until Leila's diaper rash required medical Rx & we then quickly relized that it was ALLERGY to the main ingredient in all disposable diapers, so we switched to cloth (before maternity leave was over) ... she potty trained very easily by her 2nd birthday with little involvement for me other than keeping clean diapers & potty chair nearby.
  • Her 4th birthday was February 1st this year

Michi

ccjones said:
This is off the subject from my original post, but for those of you who are SAHMs, do you ever miss working outside the home? If you don't mind me asking, what were some of your careers before becoming a SAHM?

Colleem

I was a kindergarten teacher -and although I miss the interaction with other adults I find it is much more rewarding to teach my OWN children...so much so that I am going to start homeschooling next Fall! :D
Ocassionally I do miss the classroom, but I teach Sunday School to get my 'fix'.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
FWIW, even when we move next month & I stay at home, I'm still going to be working -- as office manager & medical assistant (our house is my SO's OBGYN clinic) ... then as a daycare provider :)

j4m4d8

I'm currently a SAHM. I returned to work full-time when my ds was 12 weeks. I worked until he was a year old, and then was a SAHM for 9 months. Then I worked part-time at the same job for about a year until my dd was born. When she was 6 months old I found a completely different part-time job. I worked at that for about 15 months. Since then I have been a SAHM (more than a year and a half now.)

DS Exclusively breastfed, weaned at 23 months. (He never took a bottle, but dh could bring him to work for me to nurse on breaks.)
DD Breastfed (two small bottles of formula in hospital), weaned at 16 months.

DS Disposables, out of diapers at 3 years 9 months.
DD Disposables for 9 months, then cloth, out of diapers at 3 years 1 month.

DS 6 years 3 months
DD 3 years 5 months

Yes, I did miss working which is why I had such an on and off work history. And when I was working, I missed being home. For me it took time to grow into the role of SAHM. Now I really like it and probably won't go back to work even if someone retires and a job opens up. However, that's partially because after working every weekend for 9 years (well, OK, I had three or four a year off), I NEVER, EVER want to work a weekend again. If I could be guaranteed M-F I think I would consider it.

Most of my life I have worked as a water/wastewater treatment operator. I do spend two days a year getting continuing education so I can keep my licenses. The job I had after dd was born was proofing postings of deeds for a title company. I never could figure out what to call it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC