Want to buy my nephew a booster SO bad! (long)

loufrando

I took my 5 1/2 yr old nephew with me to run some errands this weekend (I rarely see him so it was good to bond a little) and I put him in dd's Regent because they are the same size and he fit perfectly without adjusting anything.

I asked him how he liked riding in the Regent, since in my sister's car he rides in a waaaay expired cheapo Cosco combo seat in booster mode. (It expired 5 years ago, I checked). It broke my heart what he said! "I like this seat alot! It's so soft! I wish I could have a seat like Ava's so I don't have to suffer anymore in my seat. It hurts me and hurts my neck and there's nowhere to put my head when I fall asleep." It hurts his neck because there is NO belt guide at all, so the belt rubs on his neck.

What 5 year old says suffer?! And it's not like he knows any different because he's been in that seat since he was like 2 years old (in booster mode since he was probably 3.5-4?)

I've told my sister all about how the seat doesn't really fit him anymore (he is the size of a good sized 7 yr old) and about how it isn't safe because it's sooo expired. I even gave her recommendations of a few boosters that would fit him well and where to buy them, etc... and she nodded and agreed with me, but here we are 6 months later and she hasn't gotten him a new booster. My BIL tends to discourage her with stuff like this.

Anyway, I told my nephew that if his mom won't get him a new booster that I will get him the camo Compass B510 for his birthday. That's not until the beginning of December though. I can't buy him one right now because we are trying to stay out of foreclosure on our house! We have no money for that. Plus my BIL would balk at me just buying him a booster out of the blue. I could sneak it in as a bday gift though and hopefully by then we'll be in a better situation.

It just infuriates me! And they have 2 younger kids to pass the booster down to, so it's not like they are buying a seat just for him to use for a couple of years. They'd get a ton of use out of a good hbb.

Okay, vent over.

ADS

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
I understand your vent. My side of the family does great, but DHs side has not done very good. My nephew is about DDs size and not riding in any seat at all. He should probably be in a booster in at least a few cars. They also allow him to ride up front when he is good. He is 9 years old. I explained to him when he was out that back is safest and therefore anyone who loves him would put him back there. He also had to ride in a booster at my house over the summer. He lives over 4 hours from our house. Our kids didn't visit this summer, but last summer when they did. Our two rode in their booster outboard, while our nephew rode in the middle lap belt only position. EERR!!!
He ff at 8 months, even though we bought my sil a convertible. EERRR!!!

Qarin

They also allow him to ride up front when he is good. He is 9 years old. I explained to him when he was out that back is safest and therefore anyone who loves him would put him back there.

You tell a 9 year old boy that... his parents don't love him? There's got to be a better way to help him make good car safety choices than this.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
You tell a 9 year old boy that... his parents don't love him? There's got to be a better way to help him make good car safety choices than this.

:yeahthat:

Not sure implying that his parents don't love him because they let him sit up front is the best way to handle things.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
:yeahthat:

Not sure implying that his parents don't love him because they let him sit up front is the best way to handle things.

Okay, that didn't come out right when typing it. I explained in other words to him that the back is safest and that even the car said that kids 12 and under could be injured or killed in the front seat. He can read, so I showed him the sunvisor. My DD knows what it says and understands that that is one of the many reasons that I want her in back. I also explained to him that if they were in a crash that he would be further away from a crash in the backseat then in the front seat, which would be a good thing for him.

I hope that explains it better. I started writing and then got side tracked and should have reread what I was typing. I don't do so great with that sometimes. Please forgive my brain.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC