ERF question

marcymc

I have learned so much information from this site and I need some advice.

My younger dd is 2yrs (just this month) and 26 lbs. She is RF in both of our cars. My DH drives a 2 door Honda Civic. Older dd's seat is FF. It is hard to get dd2 into her RF seat in the back of the car, especially for DH who is much bigger than me. I sit in dd1's seat to put her in. DH goes along with ERF, but would much rather turn her FF. He really only has them in his car once a week for a 10 minute drive to daycare. Would anyone be comfortable turning her FF? Thanks for your opinions!

ADS

featherhead

That's great that you kept her rear-facing till now! If it's just once a week, I think I would feel comfortable with her ff.

first congratulation on rf this long. i go by 2yr and 30lbs for ff. i would try to hold out the next 4 lbs before turning her. dh has gone 1 extra yr already erf what are a couple more months. are they both outboard in the car or is one middle? perhas rearanging he seats could help make it easier for him

marcymc

And will she fight RF in the other vehicle once she's been FF???

Thats a good point that I didn't think about. I don't plan on turning her in my car any time soon. I'm not sure if she would want to be FF in my car once she experienced it.

Thanks for the replies so far! Did anyone else have a child RF in one car and FF in another at the same time?

Mommy2Marcus

I have heard of several people RF in one car & FF in another seldom used car. However with as small as she is I am not so sure I would turn her just yet. I also RF my son in a 2 door car full time, so I feel his & your pain. Is she climbing into the seat on her own or are you having to put her into it? I found that once I taught my DS to climb into his own seat it was SOOOO much easier to RF him in my 2 door car. So if she is not already climbing into her own seat then I would deffiatly teach her to as it would be alot easier on everyone!

I just encouraged him all the time starting at around 18 months to climb in & then one day he just did it. So that would be my first step to try to keep her RF at this point.

However at age 2 & older it becomes more of a parental decision, but I like to see them RF for as long as possible! Good Luck!

BTW: The picture below is in my tiny 2 door Impreza. It is a PITB to keep him RF, but his safety is SO worth it!

Kat_Momof3

I would be okay turning her in her dad's car. She shouldn't protest as long as no one tells her one is better than the other and you guys just treat it as... this is how we do it.

Mattkarn

One of the little boys I nanny for is FF is his parents car and RF in mine. He is 18 months and 27 lbs, he doesn't even notice. Infact I think he prefers RF, all he does FF is whine.

marcymc

first congratulation on rf this long. i go by 2yr and 30lbs for ff. i would try to hold out the next 4 lbs before turning her. dh has gone 1 extra yr already erf what are a couple more months. are they both outboard in the car or is one middle? perhas rearanging he seats could help make it easier for him

They are both outboard, but the back seat is so small, they're pretty much next to each other.

I haven't had her climb in. I'll try that. It was much easier when we just had the one RF carseat for my older daughter.

I think I'm going to keep her RF for now. We've been dealing with it this long, what's another few months or even a year.

Thanks for the input:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC