Uptown and Avenue Comparison Update

jka1217

My first quick comparison is in this thread. With the sale at K-Mart this week and a $5 off coupon, an Avenue came home with us today to try out. So, I installed it in my car and there are a few other differences that I missed the first time.

First, when I got home, we (azgirl71 and I) worked on installing it RF in my '06 Equinox. We couldn't get a full 45 degree recline that a newborn or younger child would need, but we came close. It did require quite an arrangement of pool noodles. It just wasn't working right with the pyramid, I think in part because of the new cutout on the bottom of the seat. (I know the yellow on is a little out of place, but was too hot and sweaty to try and correct it). It's wasn't moving, but I'm not sure how happy I am with the installation.

ETA: I didn't leave it in the car this way, I will hopefully get to play with it more later, but it gives you an idea of the space that needs to be filled.

DSCN1776.jpg
DSCN1777.jpg

DSCN1778.jpg

While installed, you can reach the velcro flap to access the harness adjuster quite easily, except that the harness adjuster is actually quite a bit lower. Getting a finger or 2 in there to get it adjusted is not too easy.

DSCN1780.jpg
DSCN1779.jpg

So we brought it inside to look it over next to the Uptown.

Hey mom, this makes a great TV chair!
DSCN1784.jpg

Avenue and Uptown with and without the covers
DSCN1785.jpg
DSCN1794.jpg

Different buckle (my Uptown DOM is '06) and the Avenue has harness guides now where it comes up from the bottom of the seat. They were a little tough to get out to take the cover off, but seems like a nice addition. Uptown on the left, Avenue on the right.
DSCN1786.jpg
DSCN1787.jpg

Different splitter plates, the Avenue plate just seems so tiny. The harness doesn't really fit on it. Mine was actually slipping off when I took it out of the package. Uptown on the left, Avenue on the right.
DSCN1790.jpg
DSCN1791.jpg

The Avenue cover is kept in place with elastic straps, 2 on top, 2 on the sides, 2 underneath. The Uptown cover would fit on an Avenue shell, but the Uptown shell does not have all the same nubs to put the Avenue cover on it.

DSCN1788.jpg

The upper nubs are on both shells, but the Uptown doesn't have the nubs on the sides.
DSCN1789.jpg

The bottom is shaped quite different, something I didn't notice the first time I looked at it, it was brought to my attention in another thread here. They reshaped the outer portion and use it for the elastic straps on the bottom, but it makes it tough to use pool noodles with installation (see above pictures). Uptown on the left, Avenue on the right.
DSCN1793.jpg
DSCN1792.jpg

I'm keeping it for now, but I'm not thrilled with the struggles I had with it. I'm just not feeling the love for it like I have for my Uptown. Maybe it will grow on me.

Last edited:
ADS

sunnymw

Yikes on that install! It looks like there's virtually no seat touching the vehicle seat!! But ITA, I've never gotten a 45 degree angle with an Uptown even, it was always really upright with my 3 noodle tower.

Thanks for the comparison though!

firemomof3

What the heck is point of the cutout on the avenue?!! How frustrating! I can see how it would be very difficult with for an inexperienced user, that really bums me out!

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I always thought that the maximum number of noodles allowed is three smaller ones or 1.5 larger ones. :confused:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I was discussing the noodle thing with an instructor the other day. She said the curriculum doesn't actually specify a number, just that three is the accepted standard--but that you could use more. Does anyone know if it actually is in the curriculum?

Anyway, yeah, I'm not digging that cut-out.

jka1217

Yeah, it's probably not the best scenario with pool noodles. I think if I had a couple larger noodles, it would have worked better to get the full recline. Having the cutout does make the noodles slip up under the seat and away from the vehicle seat bight, which is why we stuck more in there. If I get a chance when it's not as warm and I have more energy, I'll probably try some other configurations and try it FF too.

scatterbunny

There is no maximum # of noodles allowed, from what I was taught, and everything I have read since my course. However, that doesn't look like a good install to me. :(

ETA: I verified that there is not a maximum number of noodles allowed, you can use however many you need (as few as possible), in whatever arrangement necessary (no need for it to be a pyramid, although this is usually easiest, IME).

Mama!

I've gotten a 45 degree angle on an Uptown, but man it was hard. It involved me practically shoving the seat into my ovaries as I drove it in and tightened it. It was also done with LATCH.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
It was hot out. We may possibly been able to get it, but the kids were hot and wanted to go in.

As Scatterbunny already stated, there is no maximum amount of noodles to achieve recline. You do want to use as few as possible though.

Neither of us was happy with the install, but did not want screaming kids while we played some more. The cutout makes it a huge PITA!

Thanks for posting the review Jen. I tried to give you rep, but i have to spread the love first.

scatterbunny

I just tried to give her rep for the photos, especially the detailed comparisons to the Uptown, but I've given out too much rep in the past 24 hours. :eek:

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Yikes on that install! It looks like there's virtually no seat touching the vehicle seat!! But ITA, I've never gotten a 45 degree angle with an Uptown even, it was always really upright with my 3 noodle tower.

Thanks for the comparison though!

I wanted to make sure you knew the LATCH bag had fallen out and was blocking the view of the base on the outboard side. I think we couls probably get everything under the cutout if we tried again without the kids.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Neither of us was happy with the install, but did not want screaming kids while we played some more. The cutout makes it a huge PITA!

Thanks for clarifying, because that really wasn't apparent from the previous posts. :)

Thanks for posting the review Jen.

Yeah, thanks - the detailed side-by-side comparison is great!

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Thanks for clarifying, because that really wasn't apparent from the previous posts. :)

I figure it may not have been clear that is why I clarified :). It was not even set up to fit either of our kids. We had not even gone in the house yet. We just took it right out and started playing until it got to hot.

jka1217

Thanks for clarifying, because that really wasn't apparent from the previous posts.

Sorry, that's my bad. :eek: I was trying to use car seats as a distraction for the day, but my mind was still elsewhere. I edited my first post to state that it didn't stay in my car with all those noodles, and it needs more work on another day.

Kat_Momof3

I think what I'd like to try is bigger noodles (that yellow one is bigger, but I've seen thicker ones... omg, forget where I saw ones that would be perfect, but they were HUGE, and sold shorter (wouldn't have to cut them, but you might only be able to use 2 and then, if you needed something more, would have to top the pyramid with a smaller one)... oh... now I do... Food Lion... you might still have to use 3, but I think the install would be better and at least easier.

I do like the guides on the lap straps, and since the bottom slots are taller than on the Uptown (aren't they??), then I don't mind not getting a 45* angle, but if someone wanted to use this from birth for a big baby, they would mind!

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
We originally tried the big yellow noodle alone and it was very upright. You are correct if someone had a older child this seat would be just fine since it could be use more upright.

The bottom slot are acually the same. They are not higher on the Uptown. I though so ar first too until we removed the covers.

Kat_Momof3

okay... then definitely the answer is to use larger noodles... like 3 of those yellow ones was what I meant, not it alone.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC