Peg Perego Expiry

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

We have a Peg Perego infant car seat that was manufactured in January 2004. We are expecting baby#2 in November 2008.

I've read that the expiry date on the infant car seat is either 5 years or 10 years. I'm confused. I wasn't expecting to purchase another car seat, but do want to ensure the safety of our infant.

If we can use the car seat in November, does that mean we need a new one come January? Or should we just buy a new car seat now?

ADS

thrillhouse

Peg perego seats are only good for 5 years, so yes you'll need a new seat before january. There are really great seats out there now, for a winter baby in Canada, you might like the Graco Safeseat. My kids both grew really fast and the peg infant seat we had was a colossal waste of $. #1 outgrew it at 4 months which I was thought was fast until ds2 outgrew it at 7 *weeks*.

ShumNum

Senior Community Member
You will need a new seat come January 2009, but you could certainly use the carrier you have until then. If you know that you want the baby to be in a portable carrier/carseat for more than a couple of months, you might want to just get a new carrier/carseat now...BUT if you don't care too much about the portability of having baby in a carrier, it might make more sense to purchase a rear-facing convertible seat come January and ditch the Peg carrier then. Hope that helps!

U

Unregistered

Thank you for your replies. We got lucky and were able to buy a car seat (Peg with SIP) from a friend of friend who used theirs for only 6 months this year.

I feel much better knowing we now have new "technology" and will be able to use the car seat a little longer (instead of moving up to the Convertible, which we have).

Tia

Here in Europe they don't seem to say anything about 5 year expiry dates... Can't help but wonder why.

I've seen some people using the oldest most horrible seats imaginable, infant seats especially, not something I'd ever do, or recommend any of my friends did... but a seat a couple of months off the so called expiry I'd use for sure!

U

Unregistered

We have an enfant car seat - Peg Perago Controllo oss 1 20043 Arcore (M1) manufactured in 2003-05-14. Can you please tell me when it expires? Baby is due in June 2009.

Thank you!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Does the instruction manual for your Peg seat specify an expiration or useful lifespan? I know Peg Perego infant seat models sold in the U.S. expire 5 years from their date of manufacture and this is specified in their instruction manuals. If yours has the same expiration period as U.S. models, then it would have already expired in May of 2008. :eek:

U

Unregistered

I have a peg perego manufactured in 2002 that in the manual said should not be used past 10 yrs... I think that with newer tougher restrictions, and more testing, they have determined that to be safe, cut the old times in half. Even just a couple of years ago, people used to say to replace after 10 yrs... I am confused, the seat we have is in mint condition, the plastic is strong, etc etc... and yet, I am not sure if it is legal for me to use this one. At the time of manufacture, 2002, the law, expiry and useful service date was 10 yrs...

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
This is an old thread, but since you're not registered I'll reply here. You can create a new thread if you need more information, as this one will be locked.

Peg Perego has a 5 year expiry, per the manufacturer. The 10 year rule was Transport Canada's rule, based on the fact that manufacturers used to neglect expiry dates on their seats. Every seat currently usable out there has an expiry rule. This isn't a law, this is a strong recommendation by the manufacturer.

I wouldn't worry about the strength of plastic so much as changing technologies, lost parts (manuals, etc) and unknown histories (crashes).. It's recommended that you replace your seat at or before expiry. With the Peg Perego PV, I would also recommend just plain getting a new or different seat because that seat doesn't allow you to use it with the seatbelt--which means if you're ever travelling in a friend's car, you'll have to uninstall and reinstall your whole base just to use the seat. Aigh!

-Nicole.

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
This is an old thread, but since you're not registered I'll reply here. You can create a new thread if you need more information, as this one will be locked.

Peg Perego has a 5 year expiry, per the manufacturer. The 10 year rule was Transport Canada's rule, based on the fact that manufacturers used to neglect expiry dates on their seats. Every seat currently usable out there has an expiry rule. This isn't a law, this is a strong recommendation by the manufacturer.

I wouldn't worry about the strength of plastic so much as changing technologies, lost parts (manuals, etc) and unknown histories (crashes).. It's recommended that you replace your seat at or before expiry. With the Peg Perego PV, I would also recommend just plain getting a new or different seat because that seat doesn't allow you to use it with the seatbelt--which means if you're ever travelling in a friend's car, you'll have to uninstall and reinstall your whole base just to use the seat. Aigh!

-Nicole.

Adding the Transport Canada link on Consumer Information Notice - Children's car seats and booster cushions: How long are they safe? http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/safedrivers/childsafety/notices/2007c10/menu.htm

Last update Jun 2009 as per manufacturers' input. And Peg Perego has 5 yrs usefulness life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC