I would really like to put one on the back of the front seats
for DD when we make our big trip south....just wondering what the best
installation/place is for one of these.

Thanks!

Holly

ADS

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
I dont think the ones that strap to the front seats are safe. If an accident the straps can break easily and they become a flying projectile. If you can afford it, a better option would be to have them installed in the headrests or a flip down style (or some other secured type i dont know about) I prefer the flip down ones b/c you can hide it for normal daily driving and only use it when they need the occupation tool. (i'm not a big tv fan, is it obvious?)

super_grape

A friend of ours has a flip down type that they had installed
but I don't really want to mess w/that because once we get
down there we'll most likely get rid of the van...it's on it's
last legs and I really DON'T LIKE it...I've been pushing for a
Sienna and DH has finally come around:) .

I thought that someone had posted a way to make these things more
secure on the ivillage board a while back (Ulrike was that you??or maybe
Julie??)...I'll have to hop over there and do a search....

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
If you find out post back, my SIL wants to install a DVD player for DN and cant afford the flip down style.

Maybe they make lighter weight ones now? The only one i've ever seen up close easily weighted 10 pounds but maybe they arent so heavy anymore but it was a few years back.

super_grape

Darren,
Do you just use the strap it comes with or do you
add something else to keep it secure?

Dreamin,
I haven't had time to do a search there yet
but I'll try soon...I get frustrated over there,
ivillage is so stinkin slow!

Thanks!
Holly

mom2acrew

Moderator - CPST Instructor
ROFL at the Ivillage comment, I agree! The one Darren linked to has a velcro strap and a elastic type loop that goes over the head rest it seems somewhat secure. When you weigh the distraction factor from grumpy kids it doesn't seem "too unsafe" Plus it is $200 vs $1000-$1500 for the installed ones once you factor in the cost for installation etc.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
super_grape said:
Darren,
Do you just use the strap it comes with or do you
add something else to keep it secure?

Holly

I think the projectile thing is a non-issue. I just use the included straps. It only weighs a few pounds. I really don't see it flying off in a crash. Plus, in a serious crash like a frontal or side impact, it would be held back by the head restraint or move toward a window, rather than toward a passenger.

The only real disadvantage I see is that it is an inch or two less room for head excursion, so a child sitting in front of it could strike it with their head in a severe crash. Just move them back and give them as much room as possible, which is a good idea anyway.

super_grape

ROFL at the Ivillage comment, I agree!

I don't go over there anymore because of it:( !

Jodi and Darren, thanks also for explaining how it
attatches! Now I have to see if we have that
at Walmart up here or if it's worth it to try
and get one after we cross the border.....

Thanks again!!

Holly

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
I mail ordered mine from Walmart.com . If you don't like it or have any problems, I think you can return it to any Walmart store for 30 days with your receipt.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I mail ordered mine from Walmart.com . If you don't like it or have any problems, I think you can return it to any Walmart store for 30 days with your receipt.

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
If the TV strapped to the front seats isnt a big projectile risk why are mirrors to see RFing children considered to be? My SIL used one of those mirrors and it was much lighter and secured the same way as the tv (i want one but i'm afraid it would damage the leather.)

I joined and quit Ivilliage b/c of its slowness issues. Its such a hassle to see one post at a time when it takes so long for each page to load. I do occasionally have issues with this site (mainly refusing to load when i click the link) but i think thats a problem on my end.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Dreaming_of_Speed said:
If the TV strapped to the front seats isnt a big projectile risk why are mirrors to see RFing children considered to be? My SIL used one of those mirrors and it was much lighter and secured the same way as the tv (i want one but i'm afraid it would damage the leather.)

I joined and quit Ivilliage b/c of its slowness issues. Its such a hassle to see one post at a time when it takes so long for each page to load. I do occasionally have issues with this site (mainly refusing to load when i click the link) but i think thats a problem on my end.

If the mirror came loose, it would fly forward and hit the RF child in a frontal crash.

In the same frontal crash, the headrest attached video screen is restrained by the headrest itself. It's very unlikely to come loose because of that, plus it won't fly straight forward unless the headrest breaks.

Sure, in a rear crash it would be similar to that mirror. Fortunately, severe rear crashes are relatively uncommon. I doubt the straps would break in the typical rear end fender bender.

There is added risk involved. I don't happen to see it as being a big enough risk to worry about. YMMV, of course. There are always freak accidents, so ya never know.

There are some pauses on this forum due to the provider capping the usage of SQL databases, especially in peak times. Hopefully, these will be less common since our server change over the weekend.

Darren

Dawn

We bought a dual screen one from Best Buy and use it on trips. It came with an elastic strap and an adjustable strap for the screens. I was more comfortable knowing I had two straps instead of one holding it. I do have the adjustable strap snuggly under the headrest with the elastic strap under there as well.

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
Ahh, makes since. Thanks Darren! I guess it would be a bad idea to use a TV like this for a RFing child on the headrest of the seat they are in since the mirrors can hit them, so its back to pushing for a second ceiling mounted TV. Maybe i'll get lucky and Ryan wont be interested TV and i wont need to worry about it.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I put one of the dual screens on each side of one headrest. One for the RF child in the seat and one for the FF child in the next row. I guess it all depends on how much risk you think there really is and your tolerance for it. Granted, I only use them on highway trips more than a few hours, so it's not in the car more than a few times a year.

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
At the moment our plans are to have our only FFing child in the middle row and she can see our stock tv. I'm hoping ryan wont mind not having TV if she cant hear that Alex does she'll just be happy. I plan on using mine when we're traveling and no other times, so like you it wont be a regular thing. I guess i might buy one and see how well it attaches. We travel long distances at least twice a month during the summer to go to races and concerts (or wedding planning events) so we'd be using ours more than you use yours.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC