Conflicted & Confused! Need advice for 6yr old

K

kristina

DS just turned 6. He's 46 inches tall with a shoulder height of 12 inches. He weighs 44lbs. He just outgrew the Boulevard and I ordered the Frontier. Problem is, I HATE it. It's big, bulky, heavy, and difficult to install in the 3rd row of my '06 Odyssey, especially given that I often have to rearrange carseats, carry extra kids, etc. So I packed it up and prepared to send it back. But then I spent all last night researching and returned to my original conclusion that the Frontier is the safest option for him. But I still hate it! WWYD? Keep a seat you hate because you think it's the best for your kid? Or am I wrong to think this is the "best" option? Is there something else that offers SIP with a harness for his weight/height with room to grow?

And my other question: is a harness inherently *safer* than using the belt for my kid at this age? I know he will wear the belt properly and sit still. He's very safety conscious.

I did go ahead and order the Parkway as a 2nd seat because it's so cheap right now and I do :heart: everything Britax (except the Frontier!).

I'm wondering if at this point DS would be just as safe in the Monterey or Start? Or something else?

Ugh, mass confusion here! Thanks for your help!

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I would most definitely not keep a seat that you're unhappy with. Just because it's Britax doesn't mean it's the safest, and it doesn't mean that there aren't any other brands that would be just as safe.

Did you try the Nautilus? It will last just as long as the Frontier. Graco does some side impact testing I believe, though I don't know if they did any on the Nautilus. The harness height is just as high as the Frontier though - may actually last longer, and after a high back booster it converts to a backless. Any 5pt harness, especially one with EPP or EPS foam in the headrest is going to offer good side impact protection.

As for your other question, if your ds will sit still every trip, the entire trip, then he's also fine in a booster. I would suggest doing some trial runs with the booster first to see how he does, but if he's ready maturity wise, there is nothing wrong with a 6yr old, over 40lb mature child riding in a booster. It won't offer the same degree of protection - especially from a side impact perspective, as a 5pt harness, but it is still safe at his age and size.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
In what way has your son outgrown the Blvd? He's well under the 65# weight limit, and with a 12 inch shoulder height he shouldn't be to tall either.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I'm guessing that the 12 inch torso is a typo or mismeasure!:) At 6 and 40+ lbs I would imagine his torso is taller than that!

If you totally hate the Frontier, try out the Nautilus. I do not think that a 6 year old 40+ lb child is not safe in a booster. If he sits properly in the seat then I would feel very comfortable with a 6 year old in a booster seat.

K

kristina again

Oh, I'm sorry! Yes, his shoulder height is 14, NOT 12. Sorry about that! I measured him sitting down up to the top of his shoulder. If that is incorrect please let me know.

He has outgrown the Boulevard in height. His ears are over the top of the shell of the seat. I call the company to double check that last week. We're sad because we love the B and have 2 of them for him.

snowbird--that's what concerns me. I want the highest level of protection I can achieve for him, so if it's the Frontier, I think maybe I should get over my dislike and use it anyway. Thoughts?

I will look at the Nautilus, but I'm afraid Graco will be a hard-sell for DH!

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
What about a Radian?

With a 14 inch torso he will have 3 inches of torso growth in it, which is about 3-4 years for most kids.

kristina

Is the Radian taller than the Frontier? And does it have as good of side impact protection? Can anyone compare the Radian and Frontier?

I'm thinking maybe I should just learn to like the Frontier. I LOVE the SIP and DS thinks the seat is very comfy. I just wish it weren't so big & bulky but after reading hours on this website I think that's probably a GOOD thing. And I can fit it in the car, it's just not my preference. But I don't want to be lazy and compromise safety... :eek:

This is so hard!

NannyMom

My 5 year old is 46 pounds, 47 inches, with a 16 inch torso. We have Graco Nautilus for him and he loves it (and so do I). I've never used a Fronteir, so I don't know exactly how they compare. But, the GN is very easy to install in my SIenna (except 3rd row passenger), and in his mother's Odyssey as well. It looks to me like it offers good SIP as well.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
At 14" he shouldn't have outgrown the BV either. Have you tried looking at the back of the seat and making sure it's not caught on something? The headrest, at it's highest, goes a few inches above the top of the seat. We have a Nautilus for AJ and LOVE it!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC