UGH my 8yo is drving me crazy w/terrible booster use

ginny4

you would think that an 8 yo would be fine in a HBB. HA i got news for you. this child has been in a booster since 4yo. i know i know i didn't "know" anything then. DS has been leanign out of position way too many times to the poitn where i if catch him out of position & has toys with him i stop the car & take the toys away.
and you can't seem to buckel the turbo up correctly. the belt ends up behind the armrest not in front of it. GRRRRR....i have my 9yo checking his brothers fit before we leave. it just drives me INSANE. i threaten the regent for him but he's so close to being too tall for it anyway. UGH
any tips?

ADS

fyrfightermomma

I'm not an expert on boosters by any means, but would a different booster work? One that surrounds him more than the Turbo, like a Monterey, Recaro etc?? I know they're expensive but they look like they really need to work to get out of position in those things.

How about rewarding good behavior. Like "if you sit correctly the whole car ride, when we get home you get one star . When you get 5 stars you get something you want"

Not sitting correctly in the booster for the car ride could result in a star being taken away.

Or you could have certain "things" he likes to do be the reward. Like 1/2 hour TV time, 1/2 hour video games, a movie or something. When he sits correctly he "earns" those privelages and if he doesn't they are taken away.

You could try You tube videos showing accidents and show what happens if he doesn't sit correctly. He's old enough to understand what's happening there.

I hope you find something that works!

melniemi

My son was terrible in his booster too. I did buy him a regent when he was 7. He has nearly outgrown it now and just turned 8 so he is "trying" a booster again. He had the turbo before and now has a parkway. He sits much better in the parkway than he did the turbo. I'm still considering a different booster, but haven't found one I :love: yet.

He knows he'll go back in the regent if he doesn't sit right, so he has some incentive. Locking the seatbelt also helps, but I haven't had to yet. He also knows that if he sits wrong while on the road, he'll switch seats with his brother.:rolleyes:

Good luck. I let him pick the color parkway he wanted from albee since they are only $60. He loves his orange seat.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
The 9 yr old I watch is the same. He is in a Regent now. He will be going into a Recaro Start when he outgrows it with the belt locked. I plan to use an 86Y in the other car with his booster.

MissAllyLou

I've used the Britax Monarch booster for wiggly kiddies. It has deep side and head wings, which makes it harder to wiggle out of. I'm no pro at boosters (there's only 2 kids I'm comfortable with having in boosters), but I've used Turboboosters, the Monarch, and the Compass booster. The Monarch is the hardest to move out of. Maybe something like that would keep him better in position? Also, locking the seatbelt helps, too, but you should be able to teach him how to sit still at his age.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I'm guessing that you probably don't want to buy a new seat. I would put him in the Regent and put your DD in the FPSVD for a while. Do that for a while, and he just may be willing to sit still in the booster under threat of returning to the Regent. :twocents:

ginny4

i'd love to buy a new seat as it s quite fun. LOL however DH would have a canary! a new seat is not in the budget att he moment. i really hopin to win a vivo so i don't have to buy anything & justtry soemthing new.
at this poitn i guess the only thing i can do is discipline. & i love the threat of the regent. since he is by no means wanting to ride in it. ha ha ha.....really tho an 8yo shoudl be able to ride well in a booster. sooooo.....lets hope thathe chills out & relaxes more in his seat. ooooo...i'll make sure he defitnily has a book to read in the car instead of the star wars figures.
thanks everyone

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC