Does car sickness lessen at all if a child is FF vs. RF ?

Lea_Ontario

Has anyone with a child who gets consistently carsick found that turning them around FF has lessened the vomiting ?

I HATE to think of turning DD FF - she's 20 months and about 25 pounds now, and RF in her Marathon. BUT - she vomits on any trip longer than about 15 minutes, and is getting to the point where she gets in serious distress about getting into the car.

I know the safety risks, but what about the risks of constantly drugging her with Gravol (Dramamine for those in the US) ? That cannot be good for her or her health.

ADS

Tara

Sorry, I have no idea. Definitely worth a bit of research though.
And congrats on baby #3 :)
I tell ya...you people just keep trying to *sneak* these things in on us here *giggle*

Lea_Ontario

Tara said:
Sorry, I have no idea. Definitely worth a bit of research though.
And congrats on baby #3 :)
I tell ya...you people just keep trying to *sneak* these things in on us here *giggle*

:) Thanks - though it's been in my sig for about a month now ;)

Tara

LOL Guess I just kept missing your posts. I don't recall seeing any messages by you in a while.
Ok, so, just slap me ;)
Congrats nonetheless :D

Dillipop

My friend's daughter gets carsick and they turned her around to stop it. It doesn't seem to help. THey are currently trying ginger snaps in the car and they seem to help a bit on the shorter trips. On longer trips, they go at night, or naptime and hope she sleeps.

inezyv

My goodness, finally a question I have had experience with.

My younger dd had intestinal surgery as a baby, and had horrible car sickness due to lasting problems with her birth defect. It was so bad that we were pretty much housebound. Even trips of ten minutes or less could lead to vomiting and choking.

Because of the risk of choking, we turned her to face forward at 13 months (she was about 25 pounds, a big girl in spite of the vomiting). This did reduce the carsickness, but it may have been a coincidence.

But the thing that actually eliminated the carsickness completely was upgrading our car from a 2001 Honda Civic LX to a 2005 Toyota Sienna XLE. I don't know if it is the air vents blowing cool air directly on her face or the incredibly smooth ride, or the height of the seats, or just an astonishing coincidence, but she has only thrown up one time in almost 8 months, a miracle, since there were some 3 hour trips included! Plus, that one time she did throw up the entire family threw up later that night, including me, so it was probably unrelated to the car.

Good luck -- I do recommend reconsidering your vehicle if it is at all possible.

Lea_Ontario

inezyv said:
Good luck -- I do recommend reconsidering your vehicle if it is at all possible.

Oh, how I wish that I could do that. We are looking to try to finda CHEAP ( ~ 2K ) van because we can't fit a third carseat in the back of our car. Maybe that will help.

U

Unregistered

My daughter used to vomit in my Civic often. It didn't matter she was RF or FF. But she didn't have problems in my SUV. I'm fairly sure it was the fact she was looking out the windows and she wasn't getting as much cool air. The SUV had vents that blew into the 2nd row.

She finally did outgrow it with age.

We gave her Benadryl, which is in the same family as Dramamine actually, and is better for children, according to our pediatrician. It was the only thing that helped.

However, we also had to get the interior of the car professionally cleaned several times to improve the smell!

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
Perhaps if cool air helps, try getting a small battery operated fan to blow on her. It could be a bit of a projectile risk if it wasnt secured well but if it helps the vomiting it may be worth it.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
You could try, but I've heard from other moms that turning them didn't seem to make much difference. What about preggie pops? Do you think she's old enough for suckers? I know they're made for morning sickness, but you guys could share them! ;)

What car do you have now? We have a Taurus and since the odds of getting a van are slim before our #3, we made sure we could get 3 acorss in the back and we can pretty easily w/ the seats we have.

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
I dont know about suckers. Since she's RFing you cant see her so you cant really supervise her to be sure she's not chocking or sticking it up her nose ( :) )

My walmart has fans made out of a soft foam stuff, they are bigger than some of the handheld versions but for the most part are soft and kid friendly.

Have you tried putting three seats across in your car? I've seen a few that i thought there was no way until i saw it. I wouldnt want to have to switch the seats between cars but if you dont move them its doable.

Lea_Ontario

thepeach80 said:
You could try, but I've heard from other moms that turning them didn't seem to make much difference. What about preggie pops? Do you think she's old enough for suckers? I know they're made for morning sickness, but you guys could share them! ;)

What car do you have now? We have a Taurus and since the odds of getting a van are slim before our #3, we made sure we could get 3 acorss in the back and we can pretty easily w/ the seats we have.

She's WAY too young for hard candies / suckers / etc (only 20 months). And those preggie pops are so ridiculously expensive :eek:

We have a 1999 4-door Chevy Cavalier. The rear hip-room is about 46 inches. We haven't tried to get a 3rd seat back there yet, but we will likely at least attempt it.

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
Yeah but they work! (spooken as a preggie drop addict!) I found some gum that does the same thing but she is much much to young for gum!

I think its doable in that car. If it were a 2 door i wouldnt think so but a 4 door should be alright.

Lea_Ontario

Dreaming_of_Speed said:
Yeah but they work! (spooken as a preggie drop addict!) I found some gum that does the same thing but she is much much to young for gum!

I think its doable in that car. If it were a 2 door i wouldnt think so but a 4 door should be alright.

HOW ??

Even if I got 3 seats that were only 16" wide, (16*3 = 48) that takes up 2 more inches than our seat is wide.

Sure, we may be able to kind of squeeze things together, but they won't be 3 seperate, proper, INDEPENDANT installations, and the infant bucket seat surely won't be able to move properly in a crash.

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
Hmm, i hadnt done the math. Are you sure its only 46 inches? According to the specs i found it has 50 inches of rear hip room.Specs i had to convert it from mm to inches. How much space is between each belt (or do you prefer latch)

U

Unregistered

Dreaming_of_Speed said:
How much space is between each belt (or do you prefer latch)

I don't think her 1999 Cavalier has LATCH, does it? So, it wouldn't even be an option for her.

Lea_Ontario

Dreaming_of_Speed said:
Hmm, i hadnt done the math. Are you sure its only 46 inches? According to the specs i found it has 50 inches of rear hip room.Specs i had to convert it from mm to inches. How much space is between each belt (or do you prefer latch)

From the link you gave :

1,290, rear hip room (mm)

1285 mm = 128.5 cm
128.5 / 2.54 = 50.5

Hmm - I might have a little more wiggle room than I thought.

The car doesn't have LATCH.

Dillipop

I had a 98 cavalier and was able to fit 3 seats across, independently. I was watching my nephews and they had a cosco convertible (maybe the touriva) and a cosco combination (both ffing). I had DS in a snugride, with base (older, non adjustable). I would think you could get a scenera, cargo, and snugride across.

My brother is coming home this weekend from college and has a 95 cavalier. I will try our marathon, cargo and safeseat to see if they would fit. Your DD is still rearfacing, right?

I know samandpacey was able to fit a rfing marathon and snugride next to each other in a 2 door cavalier and she feels she could also fit another snugride on the other side.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC