#1 reason to ground an almost 4 y.o. for life

Kabes

He colored on the straps of his Radian 80 with blue ink pen!

Any suggestions on how to get it off? What are the natural consequences for this one?

ADS

lovinwaves

For you or the child? :p Sadly my leather sofa has seen an ink pen a few times, because *I* didn't have them put away. :(

I would probably just leave it. It will probably eventually start fading away :shrug-shoulders:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I think the natural consequence is blue marks on the straps :eek:

I might use a babywipe with a touch of alcohol hand gel on it.

MOM25BOYS

Hmm, would a magic eraser be too harsh to use to wipe the straps down with??? You would be suprised what it will take off.:thumbsup:

Like melted red crayon in the cup holders of your DC's Brand New Nautilus seat.....:whistle: :p

Morganthe

Oh, and here I was expecting to read some sort of dangerous stunt. :eek:

He's three? pen + kid = colored item. There's the natural consequence :p

Sorry, I'm :ROTFLMAO: remembering dd last year at age 3. She reached up and colored the roof of the car when she managed to sneak a non-washable crayon.
Yes, I pitched a fit. Yes, she promised never to do it again. No, I never removed those colored lines.

Last week, her friend was riding with us in the car. DD told her the story of why the roof was streaked with crayola stripes followed by her serious swearing from the heart that she'll never ever ever do "That" again.

The incident happened last May - June 07? :scratcheshead: It was while we had the MC and I got the Regent at the middle of July. So she was just past 3 1/2. Kid definitely has a memory. She had picture perfect mimicry of how freaked I was at the time. :rolleyes: :eek: Obviously, I got over it. :D

So yeah, I"d leave it as a forever reminder never to color the straps... heck, I'd finish the job and make it all even to look decent. :shrug-shoulders:
It could have been worse, your vehicle could be marked up with permanent ink instead ;)

Kabes

The vehicle IS marked up with permanent ink, but since it is 11 years old and we'll be driving it until it dies it doesn't bother me too much. The Radian on the other hand is only about 9 months old and I wanted to keep it nice. The kids stole pens from my stash in the front of the car. I don't know how I missed it. Until further notice DS will not be allowed to hold anything in the car (toys, drink, snack, whatever). He doesn't seem to upset though so I was wondering if there was anything else I could have done (other than yell a bunch - which I did). Oh, he turns 4 in 9 days.

I'm pretty much over it already, but boy was I P.O.ed when I first saw!!!

featherhead

I would NOT use a magic eraser!! Those things are very toxic. I've seen pics of kids with burned hands from it. I think it would definitely damage the straps. I say just leave the ink. It's not harmful, just doesn't look as pretty:)

lovinwaves

I would NOT use a magic eraser!! Those things are very toxic. I've seen pics of kids with burned hands from it. I think it would definitely damage the straps. I say just leave the ink. It's not harmful, just doesn't look as pretty:)

Have you read about it on Snopes? http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/eraser.asp

It is not toxic. It should not be in a childs hand. It wasn't chemicals burning the children's hand, it was the abrasion of the sponge.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I would not use the magic eraser. I would just use a baby wipe to get it off. I bet a baby wipe will get a ton of it out.

featherhead

Have you read about it on Snopes? http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/eraser.asp

It is not toxic. It should not be in a childs hand. It wasn't chemicals burning the children's hand, it was the abrasion of the sponge.

Ok, I feel silly now :eek:. One of those times you shouldn't believe every email you get. That one just seemed a lot more believable than most. I still don't think I would be comfortable using it on harness straps.

lovinwaves

Ok, I feel silly now :eek:. One of those times you shouldn't believe every email you get. That one just seemed a lot more believable than most. I still don't think I would be comfortable using it on harness straps.

Aw, don't :) When I first got that email I was really hesitant about using the sponges. They still ARE a dangerous product if in the hands of children. But, I am with you..I'm not sure I would use it on straps.

Gotta love Snopes :love:

featherhead

Aw, don't :) When I first got that email I was really hesitant about using the sponges. They still ARE a dangerous product if in the hands of children. But, I am with you..I'm not sure I would use it on straps.

Gotta love Snopes :love:

I usually check out emails at truthorfiction.com (same idea I guess), but that was one that I never did.

MOM25BOYS

Thanks ladies.:thumbsup: I wasn't sure so that is why I asked if it was ok or not for her to use them.;) I love how they take crayon or such off the walls and plastic toys, but man I despise how they break off or flake off and leave a bigger mess than just the stain.:thumbsdown:

I do agree with trying a babywipe and if that doesn't work then I would leave it alone and let it be a fun reminder of that day for when DS grows older. :D

Heather98012

I :love: snopes. My dad (bless his 64 year old heart) keeps sending me all these urban legend emails he gets. I keep emailing him back saying "Dad, ya gotta check snopes before you send stuff like this to everyone in your address book!" LOL...snopes rocks!

lukensophie

Senior Community Member
That's nothing! :p When my DS was almost four, he wrote his name in black Sharpie across the hood of my silver minivan.

Not that I would advocate using this on your straps, but non-acetone fingernail polish remover gets permenant marker off of non-porous surfaces. Thank heavens for the internet that day!:eek:

christineka

I had my kids wash our walls with magic eraser sponges (well, the great value version) and nothing happened to their hands.

I have a couple colorers (hence the need to wash the walls). The kids are chastened, but I also know that if I was a more diligent housekeeper the kids wouldn't be finding bits of crayon and pencils all over the house when I'm not looking.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC