Conundrum to chew on

U

Unregistered

I have a 3 year 10 month old boy, 40 pounds, 42 inches, who rides in a Graco Nautilus and will turn four in the end of October.

He is due to start school next Wednesday and will be riding the bus. The bus provides boosters for its passengers. I explained that my child is not old enough for a booster and that I will install his car seat when he is picked up. (I have no idea what sort of boosters they use or what sort of shape they're in, either.)

I've since been told the bus does multiple routes with multiple children during the day, so I can't replace a booster with a private seat.

Thoughts?

ADS

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
What kind of bus is it, or is it a van type thing? What about a travel vest? As long as there are top tethers, that would work and it could go w/ him to school and then just wears it home.

lovinwaves

Does he have an IEP? Is he going to a private preschool, or is this with the school district?

They will need Lap/Shoulder seatbelts to be able to use a booster. Sadly, boosters are used with a lapbelt only, which is a big no no.

Most buses do not have lap/shoulder belts, so you will need to SEE the bus before school starts.

check the seats yourself the first day then drive him if it is unacceptable. alot of the buses around here use the cosco cheapys $43 thing from walmart. it is called ahigh back booster hence why they will tell you its a booster. really they will stick your child in the harness regardless of weight. most don't know better which you think they would dealing with children. also make sure you check the date some are quite old...also that it is adjusted for your child. many have the back adjust which needless to say never gets adjusted. i only know because i drove school buses and vans. just check it out and be nice to the driver if they don't have a full bus they may let you put your own seat on there. just remember the buses don't lock so it could get taken depending on the type of area you are in.

emandbri

This was years ago but Daniel was going to ride the bus to preschool for speech. The bus had cosco high backs and I knew he was too tall for those. They also didn't fit well on the bus because of the open belt path. I bought a convertible with taller slots and a closed belt path and they said he could use it.

It didn't ride the bus very long though because they were using the bus later in the day and taking all the seats out and installing them again and they weren't being put back in right. I ended up driving him to school instead.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC