CPST courses

Dillipop

Can you take a safekids course in another state? Does certification cross state lines? Or are you only certified in the state you take the class?

I live in Northern Rhode Island and there is a course about 40 minutes away in the beginning of June in nearby Massachusetts. (I actually live about a block away from the state line!) There doesn't seem to be a safekids chapter in Rhode Island...no courses, no seat check events, nothing. If I take this course, could I only do checks and such in Massachusetts, or could I set up events, such as with my MOMS club, in Rhode Island? Just wondering, before signing up, if it would be worth it.

ADS

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
I think so, safekids is a national organization and we all get the same curriculum so i dont see why it wouldnt be the same state to state.

After you get certified is there any sort of requirements for doing checks? I'm thinking of taking a class (its 13.6 miles away, too close to miss) but i dont have a senior checker to work under and i thought i read to do checks you need one when you first start out. How does one set up check up days? Can you do it with two techs and some volunteers? My area has one tech in each county and my county's tech is awful so we really cant find more to help unless the 3 ppl already registered want to get together.

Dillipop

Still don't know if you can cross state lines with the certification, but I did put my name on the waiting list for a class at the beginning of June. I guess it is being done for a corporation, or something, and after they fill what they need, they will open it to the public. Here's hoping they have a spot for me!

Dillipop

Thanks, every time I searched for anything going on in Rhode Island, it came back "there is nothing at this time." That's why I thought there might not be chapter here. Based on the address, it looks like it is run out of the highway patrol! Is that common?

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
Maybe you could call the ppl putting it on and request to be wait listed or ask for a spot.

Our more active SKs is ran by a college. so i guess they can be done by anyone

Dillipop

I put my name on the waitlist of a class in Massachusetts. It is only 40 minutes away, and now that I know the certification crosses state lines, I will take the class there and then get in contact with someone in Rhode Island to help at checks, find a senior checker, etc.

By taking the class now, I won't have to worry about finding a sitter for 2 kids (baby due in July), just the 1, DS is almost 3 and easy to take care of. My brother already said yes to watching DS for at least 2 of the days...and he doesn't particularly like to watch DS. IF I wait for a class that may never be offered in Rhode Island, DS might be in kindergarten!

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
Thats why i'm taking mine while pregnant. I'm not going to have the easiest time installing the seats but i decided it would be easiest now with my MIL watching the two of them then having all 4 spilt up b/c no one wants them all on their own. We only get classes offered once a year so i decided i had 3 options, do it now, do it while in school with 4 kids, do it when i graduate and they are in school. It seemed easiest and fastest to go for it. My MIL and SIL are breaking up the time with the girls. My SIL wants to get certified too but couldnt take the time off so we made a deal she'll watch my kids when i do it and then next time i'll help watch hers (by then she'll most likely have 2) It worked out great now if i just knew if i was up for it!

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
I think i'm ok to do the work i might have an issue if i have to climb into the tall truck or the back of a very compact car but for the most part i'm ok and the doctor ok'd the class (but he doesnt know how physically demanding it will be.) I'm huge even for a twin pregnancy i'm big. I've gained a lot of weight and my bump is a mountain but i've managed to move my seats around a few times (our parents must get their own seats!) without much trouble it takes me longer now but i can do it just as tight as ever.

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
I talked with the instructor via email and he seemed to understand my situation. I still have to do everything but he knows i'm going to have a harder time than nonpregnant me.

My doctor is an idiot. My last appointment he told me i looked stressed and suggested i go to the beach for a week without my kids or fiance. He knows i have to install seats and move them and said it was fine i just didnt tell him how many i have to do. I've been cleared to do any physical activity except running and baby dancing (but regular dancing is fine) so there shouldn't be any worry. Df and i have discussed it and we've pretty much determined unless i go on bed rest before Monday i'm going to do it. If i come across anything i cant do or hurts me i'll quit the class. Its 60 bucks we cant get back but at least i'll have tried instead of sitting there wishing i was at class.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC