So, my sister turned her 18m old back RF, because....

ProudMomof5

My sister turned her daughter back RF because her already RF son (4mos) started to like watching movies.
She only has one DVD player in the car and she wanted them both to be able to see it.
Thankfully I have been harping her about turning her daughter back rear facing... because who knows... it's possible her 4 month old would have been FF by 6 mos... he's getting close to 20lbs. (so they could both see the movie in the car)

I just thought it was so odd, that after all of our conversations about what could happen, and all the links and videos I sent her, that it was the fact that she wants them both to see the DVD player that got her to turn her daughter back RF!
Oh well, whatever works I guess.. I just don't understand it. :confused: Why wouldn't just keeping her kids more SAFE do it....

She is coming around though. Her MIL gave her all kinds of grief about it... saying that she'll get car sick and blah blah blah. My sister told her off about how much SAFER it was to have her Daughter RF... so... she's getting there.

I think part of it doing it this way is because she was looking for an excuse that maybe her DH and MIL would accept, because they both kept talking about how crazy I was and were influencing her bigtime. Who knows.
She seemed to go back and forth.

OH! and while I was visiting her I was able to get her carseats installed CORRECTLY. They were both REALLY loose. I tried to explain it to her on the phone before, but she just didn't get it. I had her try and move my carseats and she was like "whoa! I never knew I was doing it so wrong!"

So, hopefully that helped...
just thought I'd share.

ADS

fyrfightermomma

I always say....whatever gets them to turn them back is fine. Even if it has nothing to do with safety :)

And you may be right. Maybe she didn't want to be a "car seat freak" and even though she knew it was safer, didn't want to be the person who stood out (I was like that for a long time). But maybe she figured the DVD excuse would fly better, which it probably would.

Good for her though!

ETA: I only turned my oldest back RFing at 2 years 3 months because I couldn't stand her kicking my seat. It had nothing to do with safety, even though I knew it was safer (I was already a member here!)

rosey2007

I have been trying to get SIL to put her 1 year old back rear facing, but my sil says her son loves to watch the DVD player. On top of that, I think that she is using an expired car seat with a homeade cover. I gave her my Cosco Scerena(not used for long and in no accidents) and she will not use it because her son is too small to be FF in it. I guess all we can do is try and hope for the best. I know that as a parent I hate to have someone tell how to take care of my children.

Anyway, I am glad you were able to get your sister to turn the kids around again.

Mommy2Marcus

WOOT! If only I could convince my friend of that that I found just turned her 1 y/o FF. However I can not even mention it b/c the last time I talked car seats with her, her DH chewed my dad a new one & in return I was told to mind my own business next time. I am sad.

I am also pretty sure that my nephew will probaly, if not already is FF at a year in October. I am sad!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC