Consumer Reports Article

Kellyr2

Isn't there an article somewhere on the site about CR and why its flawed when it comes to carseat reviews? I found the stuff in the FAQ's (Q 29 and 30) but couldn't find what I was thinking of. OR is there an article somewhere else that explains why they aren't the best place in the world to go to for carseat advice?

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
This has become my standard C.R. response

CLICK HERE for the most detailed information concerning Consumer Reports carseat "testing"....

Suffice it to say that Consumer Reports does not release specific information on how they "test" their seats & no one has been able to reproduce their results -- NHTSA's testing is federally standardized, published for public reference, & the information is reproducable! & here's what another NY CPST has to say about one particular carseat that Consumer Reports "failed":
  • FYI - I saw actual crash test footage from Consumer Reports of the Marathon back in Sept 2003. CR did a presentation entitled "How Safe Is Safe?" at the Regional NY/NJ CPS Conference that year. They were voicing their concerns about latch even then. I remember they passed around pieces of seatbelt webbing and latch attachment webbing so everyone could note the differences. It was pretty obvious that latch straps are generally a lot thinner and more narrow.

Anyway, at the end of the presentation they showed some of the footage from their crash tests and the over-roatation of the MA was one that they showed. They were using the 3 year old, 33 lb dummy. I wrote in my notes that it rotated 75% in their test with latch. Keep in mind that the federal standard allows the back of a rear-facing child restraint to rotate downward as much as 70 degrees from vertical during the FMVSS 213 crash test. So, while the MA did over-rotate when secured with latch - it didn't fail by all that much.

Also, even more importantly - because the MA is so tall, the dummy's head stayed safely within the confines of the shell *the entire time*. Even when the back of the shell appeared to be flat on its back at the peak of the rotation - no part of the dummy's head ever extended above the top of the shell. So yes, the seat did over-rotate but that dummy was still very well protected throughout the crash.
A simple fix for this problem is to just use the vehicle seatbelt for installation :rolleyes: ;)

J

jbr

recommendations?

We were recently in a collision in which we were rear ended (while completely stopped) at about 40+mph. The insurance company is reimbursing us for relacing both seats. One of our daughters is 5 approx 33lbs 40" and our 21/2 yr old is 22lbs approx 28". We had one Britax Marathon and one Fisher Price (forgot the name) and they both held up well. Both were forward facing. Should we go with 2 Britax Marathons or should we consider another seat? Is our oldest ready for a booster? Your advice is appreciated. Thanks--jbr

U

Unregistered

Your oldest is still far too light to even consider a booster. I'd go with 2 Marathons, or maybe a Marathon and a Regent for the older one?

Dsunny1

CPST Instructor
jbr said:
We were recently in a collision in which we were rear ended (while completely stopped) at about 40+mph. The insurance company is reimbursing us for relacing both seats. One of our daughters is 5 approx 33lbs 40" and our 21/2 yr old is 22lbs approx 28". We had one Britax Marathon and one Fisher Price (forgot the name) and they both held up well. Both were forward facing. Should we go with 2 Britax Marathons or should we consider another seat? Is our oldest ready for a booster? Your advice is appreciated. Thanks--jbr
I am just curious as to the condition of the seats after the crash. I like to hear about how they hold up, did they have any visable stress marks. Were the girls sore after? It is just interesting to me to hear how the seats we reccomend do in real life situations.

J

jbr

Both seats held up very well. There were no visible signs of damage to the seats, and the girls were not at all sore.

scatterbunny

Yep, I'd go with a Regent for the oldest, same price as the Marathon but it harnesses to 80 pounds and has top harness slots 3ish inches taller than the Marathon's top slots.

Are your measurements of your 2.5 year old correct? I ask because she is just now at the bare minimum weight to forward-face in lots of seats (and only 2 pounds over the minimum FF weight limit for every other seat). She is the size my daughter was at 10 months old, and would be MUCH safer still rear-facing. A Marathon would be my pick for her because it goes to 33 pounds rear-facing and has a tall seat shell (you know what I mean because your oldest was in one).

U

Unregistered

I was just discussing carseats and why certain stores sell certain seats with a man who works at my local BuyBuyBaby. He said they sell certain seats (i.e., Alpha Omega, among others) because they are rated well by Consumer Reports. I didn't say anything to him, but I got mad that CR is being cited as THE reliable source. He made it sound like CR is SUCH a great resource for statistics on carseat testing. Aaaagggghhh....

I think CR is great as a starting place for researching options, but it is CERTAINLY NOT "the Bible" when it comes to carseat reviews and testing!

skaterbabs

When parents ask me about CR, I always tell them the same thing:
CR is great if you're buying a washing machine. But for a safety device, go to the safety experts, and that is a CPST.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC