Question RF 1 inch in SS1....

NannyMom

We were at Baby Depot playing with carseats yesterday. I put DD in a SS1 just to see if she'd still fit height wise. Looking at her, it looked like there was just about 1 inch above her head. When I peeled back the cover, I'm confused about that 1 inch. THe end of the shell turned up, and so did the foam. So that 1 inch I saw was the turned up foam and shell, her head went right up to that point. Does that count as 1 inch of shell above her head? Or does it have to be the part of the shell that lays flat? I'm certainly not buying one for her, I'm just wondering. I don't remember her SS1 having that at the top.

A side note...I also saw an Evenflo Harness/ booster. It had the knobs like the EFTA. I didn't know they had any other seats with those. :confused:

ADS

cpsaddict

The Evenflo is the Generations, also known as the Bolero. It's been out for fourish years now, I believe. It actually is a very nice combo seat, as far as those go.

As for the Safeseat, her head needs to be below the point, I think. The point is basically the top of the car seat. The reason for the 1" rule is so that when the child moves up in the seat during a crash, the head and neck are contained within the car seat.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I think I know what you're talking about. That rolled edge around the head area, right? I tell parents that's the "lip," for lack of a better term, and tell them that once their baby's head reaches that point, the seat is outgrown by height.

Kat_Momof3

yeah, that lip is just to help parents who don't read the manual, and to help contain the head.

that definitely counts.

In fact, I thought it was nice... because you HAVE to notice it.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I have pictures of the SS1 and KF covers peeled back so people can see what we mean, and also my dd being about an inch from the top of both seats...in practice, the lip isn't noticable, really, when the cover's on, but if parents are measuring like crazy, Heather's right, it's a nice marker :) http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats (it's easier to link to all pictures, they are fairly organized, at least :))

NannyMom

Thanks! I was hoping that's what the lip was for :) Her head went right up to the lip. So, she'd be done with it now (at 23 months!!).

How does the SS1 compare to the Keyfit 30 in shell height?

fyrfightermomma

The SS1 seems to have a higher shell. Both my 3 year old and 18 month old still fit by height and weight. However neither fits in the KF 30. My youngest outgrew the Keyfit by height around 12 months. No clue when my oldest did as it wasn't around.

Not sure if its the difference in how kids sit, or if it truly is higher, but both my kiddos fit!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The KF 30 is the same as the 22...you can see the comparison of it with the SS1 in the very last two pictures, the SS1 is definitely taller :thumbsup:

NannyMom

Thanks! My boss' options were the KF 30 or the SS1. I voted SS1, partly because I already have 2 extra bases she can use (baby will need seats in 3 vehicles). I'll make sure she leans towards the SS1 now, since it's taller :) She has had 1 tiny baby and one chunky baby. Now if she gets the SS1, she can eventually buy 2 convertibles, and leave the SS1 in one vehicle for awhile before buying a 3rd convertible (who knows, maybe she can use one of Sofi's by then!) :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC