Finally used our Frontier today: No head slump!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I put it behind the driver in DH's Ford Escape...Leah was really excited about her new seat, and I was excited the harness adjuster is really smooth. So after a trip to walmart to buy last minute school supplies (gah, the supply list is endless, but that's another thread, lol), we plopped her back in her seat (I was bummed he hadn't loosened the harness when he let her out, I wanted to use it again, lol), I saw her start to nod off...saw the head go forward a little, though, "oh no! it's going to flop!", but no, a little acceleration and turning had her head right back up in the wings...she slept through a lunch stop at sonic and picking up sister at her friend's house and her head never fell! It was much better than her Roundabout, which is only half and half good for napping, and which she's soon too tall for anyway, the tall, tall thing she is!

Anyway, just wanted to report back...I was also happy her harness didn't twist in her buckle tongues, I was worried that would happen, since it happened the first day we got the seat..

ADS

Citrine

When you get a new car you love driving it every chance you get, and when you have a new car seat its the same thing! Congrats on your new purchase:)

Olivia 4.26.04 36lb 34in Regant, GN
Makayla 9.16.06 26lb 33in RF Britax wizard

MOM25BOYS

That is great Jools!:thumbsup: I am thrilled Leah did great sleeping in the Frontier for you. That is my biggest fear when I have to turn DS4 around down the road. I noticed the other day when he had to ride FF in the RN that he had head slump immediately after falling asleep.:(

Glad to know those twisty, silkly straps didn't strike again while your seat was installed.;)

MOM25BOYS

My older boys have done fine sleeping in it, but the younger one just had a horrible time with keeping his chin out of his chest.:thumbsdown: He will stay in the MA as long as I can then I might move him to the RN. Who knows what seat will have come out when that time comes along...:whistle:;)

Melanie

Thank you for posting. I have one of those kids that have super bad head flop in the Boulevard. I'll be getting a Frontier soon and have been nervous about it. I'm glad it's working well for you.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
My older boys have done fine sleeping in it, but the younger one just had a horrible time with keeping his chin out of his chest.:thumbsdown: He will stay in the MA as long as I can then I might move him to the RN. Who knows what seat will have come out when that time comes along...:whistle:;)
You know, you're right, my older dd slept fine in the RN when she still fit in it... the same thing happened to me with my older kids in their really flat-sided evenflo apollo..the 4 yo slept great, the 2 yo was super-flop, lol... must have something to do with head size or muscle strength or just staying more concsious when sleeping as they get older? I did put Leah FF just the once in the RN though, and it CAN"T be installed reclined in that car and it was a horrible sight, all the slumping, lol.
:)

Gsanmb

Interesting. Both my dd (5) and my ds (3) have terrible head flop in the Nautilus. Since we had the accident the other day I am probably going to replace the GN with a Frontier hoping for less head flop.

Didn't know the straps were twisty though, ugh...

MOM25BOYS

Interesting. Both my dd (5) and my ds (3) have terrible head flop in the Nautilus. Since we had the accident the other day I am probably going to replace the GN with a Frontier hoping for less head flop.

Didn't know the straps were twisty though, ugh...

Yeah, that is the only thing with the Frontier that disappoints me the most.:thumbsdown: They put those silky straps on it instead of the more rugged straps like the MA. I think I have gotten so use to the MA straps that all the other ones bother me more now than they did before.:D Besides that I think the Frontier is awesome and if I had the room for them I would have 2 or 3 for the boys.:thumbsup:

drlynne

I have the Frontier as well in my ford escape for my 5 year old. Although I did just return it to Britax for twisty straps and loose handles they are replacing it free. Call them if you are having trouble with it, they will either replace the straps or the whole car seat. My little boy sleeps great in it too!

Lynne

Heather98012

I have the Frontier as well in my ford escape for my 5 year old. Although I did just return it to Britax for twisty straps and loose handles they are replacing it free. Call them if you are having trouble with it, they will either replace the straps or the whole car seat. My little boy sleeps great in it too!

Lynne

Lynee, are they replacing the straps with the same ones? I'm confused; I called them back in May when we'd had our Frontier for less than a week & had them twist 3 times. They said they had never heard of the problem (which may have been true...the seat was pretty new still then), but I know lots of people have called from this site alone. Let me know what happens with your replacement straps, please!

However, I think you learn how to "prevent" the twisting from happening. Aside from that first week, we haven't had it happen since. There was one time it started to twist, but I caught it & fixed the problem before the buckle tongue had turned around. I think you can pretty much avoid the issue once you know what to avoid, KWIM? Although it kinda sucks we have to deal with it at all.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member

In addition to the previous poster's question about the straps/replacing the seat, I'm also curious about the "loose handles." :confused: Do you mean you had problems with the armrests or something else?

drlynne

In addition to the previous poster's question about the straps/replacing the seat, I'm also curious about the "loose handles." :confused: Do you mean you had problems with the armrests or something else?

Sorry I didn't even see these questions until now. Yes the arm rests were loose, went around in circles really. Britax replaced my whole seat.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The Frontier's armrests should raise up and down (and likely eases buckling in belt positioning booster mode), but not move every which way as you're describing. I'm glad Britax was helpful for you and thanks for clarifying.

zactayaus

Well we have the Frontier and the GN and DS has head slump in both.:( He is getting better as he gets older with being able to keep his head up more but it's still something that happens now and then.

Here's a pic:

100_1847.jpg
100_1845.jpg

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Well we have the Frontier and the GN and DS has head slump in both.:( He is getting better as he gets older with being able to keep his head up more but it's still something that happens now and then.

Here's a pic:

]

WOW!! Looking at the pic, given the angle of the seat and the headwings,it almost looks like he had to TRY to slump that much!!! :D

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I bet it's something different in the vehicle seat... :confused:. Anyway, my OP was from last August, lol, back before a lot of people had this seat and were still wondering :D Leah's head has STILL not slumped, though, even when I accidentally had the seat installed in upright/booster mode for 4 months in our bolt-upright Ford Escape :whistle:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC