Question Radian65 for RF 27-mo-old in Honda Element?

cruciangal

I have posted before as an unregistered user in my search for a replacement carseat for my 27-month-old daughter (26 lbs, 34 inches). Thank you to those that responded! Her old EFT has expired and I would like to try RF'ing her AND I would like this seat to last approximately 3 years or more (until her brother outgrows his Britax Frontier).

The Britax Boulevard, EFTA, First Years TrueFit, and Sunshine Kids Radian65 were all recommended. I was able to fit her locally in the BLVD but there was only 1.5" left to the highest shoulder strap spot. I found out that the EFT and EFTA have basically the same chassis (I cannot see this lasting 3 more years for her) so that one is out. The TrueFit and the Radian65 are not carried in stores locally that I know of.

I am told the TrueFit is great for newborns but again this is for a 27-month-old toddler. So I am leaning heavily towards the Radian 65 for my daughter. I like the HealthyCar.org rating for the Champagne cover, I like that it is foldable (we fly once a year to visit family) and yes I know it is going to be heavy (though I was hoping to bungee-cord it to the top of a rollerbag?), and I like that it can be rear tethered.

My main concern is over the installation, going into a purchase sight unseen. I have read that the Radian65 can be hard to install. Does anyone have any experience with installing this carseat RF into a Honda Element?

The person that works at one of the local hospitals and installs carseats every day had never heard of this brand. How can I find a CPS in my area that can help me with the installation should I need it?

Marta in Raleigh, NC

ADS

healthyhome4us

Well, I am not a tech and I am new to this forum. But, I will try to help to the limits of my own experience and hopefully a Tech will chime in soon.

I own a Radian 65 and a Frontier (I saw your other post)
My mom has a Honda,,not an element,,but a CRV, 2008

As for The Radian, I think it is a great seat. I love the Safestop feature that limits head excursion for FFing children under 40lbs. (after 40,,you have to remove the safe stop tether - not hard to do at all....)

I also love that it folds,,it is heavy..I like that,,it is SOLID. I've heard the optional carry straps are helpful for carrying it on your back in the airport...

This seat also installs great,,super tight in the outboard sides of my mom's honda. I actually don't find it difficult to install. But I did have to take some time with the manual at first..and the advice here was great.

I am having a lot of difficulty installing this seat in the center position because of the buckle,,the ceiling belt,,and just overall design of the vehicle seat. But, I am working through it,,and trying some other tips this weekend when I see mom.

Having said that, I think many people have installed Radians in the center of other vehicles very well, and rear facing too..it is on the long side RF, but the plus is that it is roomy.

and as for growing room in the Radian,,my Frontier rider,,,can still sit in the Radian using the top slot, but not for long. He is 6 years old, 48 inches tall.

Another plus,,I love the narrowness and lowness of this seat...I can put a boostered friend on a playdate, next to it..and I can reach the buckle much easier....It also installs well next to the split fold in my ford,,allowing me to lower one side of the seat without interference from the car seat..

Hope that helps answer some of your questions.

crunchierthanthou

You should have plenty of room to rf a Radian in your vehicle. Aren't the rear seats back farther than most vehicles? I believe rf tethering is tricky though. The rf tether point needs to be forward of the vehicle from the seat the Radian is on and IIRC, there isn't much under the front seats where you could wrap the tether connector strap.

There is a bit of a learning curve for ff seatbelt installations, but it's still completely doable in the majority of vehicles and positions. Check out this thread for some tips (they are for a Dodge Caravan, but the tricks carry over to all vehicles)- http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=28939

USABaby carries Radians in store. Most Targets now carry the True Fit in store and you can order either the TF or Radian at target.com and return them to the store if they don't work in your vehicle.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I've made a comparison thread (with pictures) of all the seats you are considering.

From my memory, the Element is only a four seater?

I've installed a rear facing Safety 1st infant seat and had an obscene amount of space left over between the driver's seat and the infant seat, so I'm pretty sure you'll have the room to rear face a Radian in that vehicle.

We use the backpack straps to carry our Radian through the airport (very easy). It can also be bungee'd to a cart as well.

The Radian is only difficult to install forward facing with seatbelts in *some* vehicles with forward of the bight seatbelts. You should not have an issue with installing it rear facing.

Tricks for installing the Radian in vehicles with forward of the bight seatbelts can be found here. Once you know the tricks, it's really not difficult.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
If you tried the seat(s) out only in the store, you didn't get a truly accurate measurement for the top slot in comparison to your child's torso -- carseats pretty much always fit kids surprisingly differently when installed in the vehicle....

Also, 1.5" of torso growth really does take a lot longer than most parents think ;)

Ugh, sorry, crappy computer: meant to also say that I do know someone with the Radian in her Element. Don't remember if there were any unexpected installation issues, but it's in correctly now. The lower profile makes it easier to get kiddo in/out with that particular vehicle, too. :)

Last edited:

cruciangal

Thank you all for your responses. I will go back slowly to better digest it all.

Yes, the Element only has two seats in the back so no middle seating option. Hmmm, maybe I should re-consider the Boulevard? :whistle:

Not too concerned about the installation as I tend to read the manual until I understand it, before starting, and if the "mood" is right. Definitely won't read the "hard to install" comments beforehand. :rolleyes:

My local USA Baby only carries (in store) Britax and Recaro. The sales rep pretty much backed Britax 100%.

Aidensmom02, when you say the backpack straps, do you mean the optional $20 carrying case? I will check into the additional accessories for this seat if I end up going with the Radian65.

monstah

I am just going to chime in (I'm not a tech)
BUT I did test drive an Element. ;)
And also, I tried to do a little car seat compatibility research while I was at it.
Because of the way the doors swing, it can be a little more difficult to get a rearfacing child out of the car. The low profile of the Radian will be a definite plus there.
I have also heard that finding a spot to tether to rearfacing can actually be a challenge. I'm not sure if this applies to all years, but atleast a 2008 Element doesn't have anywhere to tether to. The seats are on a track that is recessed into the floor and completely covered by plastic housing. (You may be able to remove the plastic housing, I just don't know.)
The car seat can, without a doubt, be installed rock solid in the rearfacing position.

In my own opinion, I think you should buy the Radian through somwhere like Target (as was previously suggested) so it can be easily returned if necessary. I think this seat might fit your needs best, and is worth the risk of having to return it.

cruciangal

In my 2003 Honda Element, there is plenty of room for a RF Radian65 but for the life of me I cannot find a place to tether under the front seats. They are on tracks, and I looked closely under the plastic housing to see if there was a place, also no luck under the seat itself.

So this is not just a problem for the Radian, but any convertible that is RF. I don't see how I can tether the top of any carseat to the front of my car.

I am not sure what to do at this point... I had wanted to RF my daughter to 35 lbs.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Aidensmom02, when you say the backpack straps, do you mean the optional $20 carrying case? I will check into the additional accessories for this seat if I end up going with the Radian65.

No, there are specific straps you can buy (2 are $20) and they attach to loops on the back of the seat. Fold the Radian up and then wear it like a backpack. Works great and the backpack straps can stay on the seat even when installed.

cruciangal

In my 2003 Honda Element, there is plenty of room for a RF Radian65 but for the life of me I cannot find a place to tether under the front seats. They are on tracks, and I looked closely under the plastic housing to see if there was a place, also no luck under the seat itself.

So this is not just a problem for the Radian, but any convertible that is RF. I don't see how I can tether the top of any carseat to the front of my car.

I am not sure what to do at this point... I had wanted to RF my daughter to 35 lbs.

What about connecting the top tether to the steel rods of the passenger seat's headrest? Would that work?

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
What about connecting the top tether to the steel rods of the passenger seat's headrest? Would that work?

Sorry, that wouldn't be a good spot. But maybe you can wrap the D-ring around the front seat seat belt anchor (where it bolts to the floor). Can you take pictures of the floor boards and the front seat belt anchor area? We might be able to spot a good place.

mom2acrew

Moderator - CPST Instructor
How tall is your child? The head needs to be contained, with an inch of shell above it for rear facing in most seats (at 2:30 in the am I am not positive whatthe Radian manual says but I am sure someone here knows :) ). Just something else to consider when thinking about which seat, the Radian is tall, on the other hand with very flat seats the Radian may end up quite reclined for a child that old. You may want to try her in it, in the vehicle before buying. Sorry not trying to discourage rear facing at all, just if it will be a very short amount of time you can use it rear facing then other seats might be better IYKWIM.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus

Only the Britax convertibles and the Radian can be tethered rear-facing, and while it's recommended on those carseats, it's not required. Any other convertible carseat won't have that issue because they cannot be tethered rear-facing.

You can RF your daughter in the Radian to the limit of the seat (keep in mind the older models have a 33lb RF limit) even if you can't tether it. It will still provide more protection than a tethered FF carseat. :thumbsup:

cruciangal

A neighbor took a couple of pictures this morning so as soon as I get them, I will post them here. The front seats are on tracks but I did find a piece of flat metal that may work - underneath the passenger seat belt anchor/the seat itself - it is the metal that holds the spring for the seat to extend or retract on the tracks.

DD is 27-months-old, about 26 lbs, and 34 inches tall. She has been FF since 12 months of age, but I think she will like RF just fine (her temperament). I would LOVE to know what the Radian65 manual says about RF a child that size, unless I can find it online?

BudgieStew

Hi,

Just to let you know that my DD has the same stats as your DD. She is 26 lbs/34 inches tall and has oddles of room left to RF in the Radian.

I think she is using the second slot from the bottom and has inches and inches above her head to RF.

HTH

cruciangal

Well, the pictures never came through so DD is still riding in her FF expired and twisty-harness Evenflo. :( Just really wanted to tether the Radian to the front. Will try to visit a fire station this week.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I found out that the EFT and EFTA have basically the same chassis (I cannot see this lasting 3 more years for her) so that one is out... I am told the TrueFit is great for newborns but again this is for a 27-month-old toddler.

Not to dissuade you from the Radian - it's a great seat and the one I have myself - but I didn't want you to discount the EFTA and True Fit so easily.

The EFTA fits much longer than the old EFT did because it has a much higher harness position. It really is quite different in fit and worth a look (though the straps are still soft and prone to twisting.)

The True Fit may hold newborns well, but that does not mean it's not a great toddler seat. It's roomy and has very high slots as well. FWIW, the Radian is a great newborn seat too ;)

There are pictures of both seats with my huge toddler in them here. Not rear-facing, but hopefully it will give a better idea as to the size of these seats!

HTH! :)

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Well, the pictures never came through so DD is still riding in her FF expired and twisty-harness Evenflo. :( Just really wanted to tether the Radian to the front. Will try to visit a fire station this week.

Your DD can ride rear-facing in the Radian even if you are not sure if you can find a place to tether it. The tether is NOT required for rear-facing.

MOM25BOYS

Just popping in to say that there are a number of techs near the OP. She is in the Raleigh area in NC as she posted in her OP. May I suggest that maybe if one of them had a RN they might could meet up with her and see if it would work in her vehicle before she purchased one. :shrug-shoulders: Could Wendy or someone else help her out? I am just about 45 min from Raleigh and I have a RN 65 also, but not a tech, but I wouldn't mind helping to see how one will fit in her Element. Just a thought.:eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC