Jeeps

U

Unregistered

Is it safe for my 1 year old to ride in the backseat of a Jeep Wrangler in his car seat and NOT have the top on the Jeep?
Thanks

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
There's the risk of things flying in & causing damage....

Also, at only 1 year old is kiddo still rear-facing to the maximum limits of the convertible carseat?

skipspin

Personally we have taken our DD in our Jeep wrangler without the top off, but we don't use it as a primary vehicle. Also, DD was RFing in her WZ till she was 30 lb at 2.75 yrs. She has been in it with the top off since she was about 9 months.

I think RFing longer is always better, but especailly important in a less-protected vehicle. DD loves it, we just don't take it out long on really hot days and we keep lots of sunscreen in it and a hat that stays on in the wind.

You do have to be more careful with things like not following at truck with dirt in it, or some of the landscaping trucks here that always have leaves flying off them. DD also wears sunglasses.

It's a parental choice, but if you are going to make it I would suggest getting a RFing seat, and seriously considering one with SIP like the Britax Bouevard, which is the updated model of the seat I have. I figure the most protective car seat for the least protected vehicle.

Joy, CPS tech and mommy
446923b1.jpg

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Car crashes are the #1 cause of death for kids, surpassing all ilnesses combined

• At least 12 months & (not or) 20 pounds is the MINIMUM requirement for turning forward-facing
  • Toddlers/preschoolers still have a larger head to body size ratio & the spinal ligaments are not fully developed
  • Almost 50% of crashes are to the front of the vehicle & only about 2% are to the rear
  • Rear-facing allows the crash forces to be spread out all over the entire back instead of only on the hips & shoulders
    • So, for example: if a child's head weighs 5 pounds & the vehicle crashes at only 30MPH that's 150 pounds of force on the child's neck when forward-facing
The American Academy of Pediatrics policy statement & the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration course curriculum urges all parents to keep their toddlers rear-facing until the MAXIMUM limits of the seat: convertible carseats now have 30, 33 or 35 pounds rear-facing weight limits.... In Sweden kids rear-face until about 50 pounds & there's never been a leg injury, but they have a much lower rate of fatalities for this age group compared to America -- regardless, I'd rather have a broken ankle than a broken neck :eek: :( Here's my daughter comfortably, happily & safely rear-facing at 3.5 years old:
  • RF-BritaxWizard-FordEscape-Summer1.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC