Our BRU Playdate (Blvd CS, new 3-n-1)

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Me and Gypsy went to BRU today. We were hoping they'd have a Frontier in, but none yet. Gypsy asked the saleswoman but I don't remember if she said when they were coming in. I was too busy freaking out about that ugly Blvd with the LATCH strap wrapped around the harness (yes, I know, they don't sell floor models - I freaked anyway.) The salewoman was nice - when Gypsy explained that we weren't really looking FOR anything, but we were techs "getting to know" the new seats, she was impressed and wanted to watch so she could learn. :thumbsup:

I think the Blvd CS is a good idea. We did notice that it started clicking before the harness was actually tight enough (we could still pinch at the shoulder, though not a huge amount) but considering how horribly loose most parents get their straps, I still think it's a good feature. Even if it means Grandma still doesn't manage to get the harness as tight as Mom, it's a considerable improvement and something I'd consider a worthwhile feature if I were in the market for a convertible.

Evan graciously tried out the seat for us, and he's got less growing room in it than he does in his Decathlon.

Then we tried him in the new Cosco 3-n-1, and he has MORE growing room than the Decath. Woohoo! It'll never be my favorite carseat, but I'm so glad to finally see the improvements on this one since it's so incredibly popular. Oddly enough, the new 3-n-1's were actually cheaper than the older versions they had... because the older versions were the "Luxe" and "Eddie Bauer" models. :rolleyes: I feel bad because I just know some poor parent is going to decide to "upgrade" to the more expensive carseat, and in trying to do something nice for their child, wind up with the worst of the two!

Plus, we talked a mom out of buying a Turbo for her "nearly 30lb" 3 yo. Yay!

Lastly, I have to put in that our kids were incredibly patient and well-behaved during all this, and for that we are very grateful! :D

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Lastly, I have to put in that our kids were incredibly patient and well-behaved during all this, and for that we are very grateful! :D

I usually bribe mine with a ride in the coin-operated fire truck if he sits in some seats for me.

I tried my DS in the Blvd CS the other day after reading Splash's review that the harness was lower than the regular BV. I didn't find that to be the case. On the BRU bench, DS had exactly the same amount of room in both (about 1/2"--though in our real cars he has outgrown it). I couldn't get it to click, though, even after pulling the harness tight enough to squish my poor kid.

I wanted to try him in the new AOEs, but the various tags were still attached to the harness and I didn't feel like messing with it.

Thanks for your input on the seats. I'm sure you had fun :)

fyrfightermomma

hehe...I had a playdate at BRU today too :)

I was very very impressed with the harness height on the 3 in 1's. It was much higher than her MA and True Fit. It was above my 3 year old's ears. However, the harness itself was strange and didn't fit quite right. I don't know how to explain it. It just laid on her neck strange.

THe BLVD CS too was not as impressive as I thought. Mine did click when it was tight enough the first time though, but my daughter had almost no growing room at all in it (and she is tiny!) It just seems much lower than the older BLVD and much lower than the MA.

I had never tried my kiddos in a newer CS before so I tried. DD1 who is all of 24 pounds was 2 inches over the top slot. My youngest at 17 months was an inch over. Scary. I am confused though. MY IL's have our older CS (DOM is 2002 I think) and they both have growing room in there still. Not much, but they are NOT over the slot :confused:

I tried the SS2 for the first time. I was impressed. I have such a light weight that the 40 pound limit doesn't matter for us. THe harness height was SO high though...I couldn't believe. It was above her ears. Too bad it won't pass past 40 pounds

I tried the new Titan and Tribute (the 50 lb ones) that everyone says has ridiculously low slots. She had growing room (about an inch) in both of those. I think they must have raised the slots or something.

I liked the new MA as well.

My 3 year old has JUST officially outgrown the RA as well when I tried her in it and my 17 month old would have been to big to RF also. Glad I got rid of it. THey still were out of stock of Nautilus's (ummm Nautili??) No Frontiers either

I liked the fabric on the new BLVD though...but with the wierdly low harness height, I definately won't be buying that. Also, while the head wings appear different than the older ones, they still seem to push the head forward the same amount

Yeah for BRU playdates!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Ok, there's something weird going on with the BV CS. Two people have reported an abnormally low top harness height. My DS, who is insanely tall, fit in it exactly the same as a regular BV...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC