Uptown not working, what to do?

purplemama

A few weeks ago I got two uptowns for my trailblazer and DH sebring. I love the uptown, nice and narrow for my little guy, love the padding. BUT, we are having a horrible time with the harness adjuster (rearfacing). I was thinking a little bit of a learning curve, we'd get used to it. But when we pull too hard on it, it reclines the seat way down and lots of pulling and tugging to get it back up, meanwhile baby is screaming and trying his hardest to arch his back right out of the seat (and seats are TIGHT so I don't know why it moves that much). Leaving the harness as is and not loosening to get him out is not an option, he is way too wiggly and always ends up pinched and just not in there right. Money is kinda an issue and so is ease of use, DH has a hard time with things like carseats, diapers, clothes, he tries and is a great Dad but is who he is. I've heard the knobs on the triumph can get squished and not move easily. And I don't want the scenera and can't afford a britax. I was thinking a titan, DS is in the 20th percentile so that would be fine for a few years till forward facing then we'll get something else. Is the titan easy to adjust rearfacing? I was thinking also maybe the old AEO they have cheap at big lots, are they easy to adjust? Help me out here, I know I've asked similar questions before but I only got a few replies and I need to know of something no more than about $120 or so that is easy to adjust rearfacing. PLEASE HELP!!!!

ADS

purplemama

Um, pretty please? Anyone? Any suggestions? Any tricks that will maybe work for the uptown 'cause I'd love to keep it. Please?

Brycen'sMommy

I returned an Avenue (same as the Uptown) a few weeks ago for the same problem. So I'm in the same predicament as you. The adjuster was awful and we didn't want to deal with that every day. Right now my top two contenders are also the AOE from Big Lots and the Titan. I think they are both about the same as far as adjusting the harness goes and they are definitely better than the Avenue/Uptown.

Andie

I don't know if you are dead set on getting a new seat, but, I have the same problem with my son's Tribute. I have to use 1 hand to hold it down while I pull the adjuster. I just apply a little pressure where his feet are. It's tricky, but it works.

Last edited:

Mom2One+One

Hmmmm....
If the seat is installed correctly, I'm not sure how pulling on the adjuster would make it move a lot. Unless you have a faulty adjuster and really have to YANK on it. If that is the case, maybe a call to DJP (Dorel, the makers of safety 1st products) wouldn't hurt.

Mommy2Marcus

I feel your pain! I HATED my Uptown to. I found it a PITA to adjust, my son seemed squashed by all the padding, the crotch strap was to short & I also hated the adjuster. So I understand. I personally LOVE my Evenflo Triumph Advance (EFTA)! I do sometimes find the knobs a little harder to use in some vehicles, but not to bad. I would deffinatly suggest going somewhere where you can try before you buy. I think it seems to be the very best option for you right now as it would be the least expensive. AlbeeBaby has them for $124 right now, with no tax & free shipping. So that is a good deal.

Also Amazon has them for $112.50 right now & that includes shipping. Also another thing I seen is that if you sign up for their Amazon.com visa card you get another $30 off, so that makes the seat only $82.50 & then you could also buy another one for $112.50 so that adds up to $195! Which is an awsome price for two of those seats!

Also I wanted to add that I have found that pretty much all seats are a PITA to adjust while RF. Some are better than others, but they are all harder when the seats are RF IMHO. However I really do LOVE my EFTA & find it the easiest to use the adjuster on while RF...never used the seat FF though. Also is there a way you can try before you buy??

sunnymw

The only seat I haven't injured myself adjusting while RFing (other than my Britax) is my Radian ;) Open velcro, and the adjuster is literally right there on top!

purplemama

I decided to try the titan. And hopefully by the time I have to leave for work in a few hours I can move without pain. My oh my what a difficult rearfacing install!! I think more people would rearface longer if seats weren't such a PITA to install that way. I got the titan 'cause that's what was at the store this morning (along with the new AOE $159 and the scenera, nice selection:rolleyes:). I know the triumph advance is better but I just don't like the knobs and the red thingys on the harness. My little guy is small (20th percentile) anyway so this will last long enough to get to forward facing. And reaching the harness adjuster is no problem at all. I hope this works out!!
Oh by the way does anyone know how Big Lots is about returns? I want to take back the uptowns ASAP if the titan works out.

Andie

I decided to try the titan. And hopefully by the time I have to leave for work in a few hours I can move without pain. My oh my what a difficult rearfacing install!! I think more people would rearface longer if seats weren't such a PITA to install that way. I got the titan 'cause that's what was at the store this morning (along with the new AOE $159 and the scenera, nice selection:rolleyes:). I know the triumph advance is better but I just don't like the knobs and the red thingys on the harness. My little guy is small (20th percentile) anyway so this will last long enough to get to forward facing. And reaching the harness adjuster is no problem at all. I hope this works out!!
Oh by the way does anyone know how Big Lots is about returns? I want to take back the uptowns ASAP if the titan works out.

I hope it works out! I always have an easier time installing RF seats for some reason. I HATE installing FF. It could be that I'm only 4'11" so it's easier for me to get in there... :whistle:

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
LOL...my dd is in an AOE and a titan.
I prefer the AOE by a mile, but the titan is okay...you are right, you'll get enough RFing out of it to get to a nice FFing seat a coupel years down the road. We ve had no prblems with the adjuster, becauae the foot thing sticks out and prevents it from being even coming closeto the seatback.
good luck!

big lots is pretty good with returns. i've always had a receipt though. just explain it to them honestly that you tried it in the car and you can't reach it to adjust the harness. they should understand.

NannyMom

How long do you plan on rearfacing? I have a couple Titans for DD. One was her main seat until I recently bought a Marathon. I loved it. It's not the easiest install, but it was a great seat. I know it's not reccomended alot on here, but I think that's because of the harness slot heights. My DD is 23 months and 23 pounds, she's 10th percentile for weight. I think she's between 10th and 15th percentile for height. She has a couple more inches to grow and remain rearfacing. I never had problems adjusting the harness. Right now, I actually like the TItan more than the Marathon :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC