Toyota Sienna and First Years Trufit

Baileysmom2

My MIL wants to get a convertible car seat for her van and she was recommended the Trufit and the Evenflo Triumph Advance. I like the Trufit for comfort over the Triumph but the Trufit reclines so bad. In order for the red line on the side of the seat to be parallel with the ground for a rear-facing installation the baby will practically be laying down in the seat?

For some background my son will be 1 in January and my SIL is having a baby in November. My MIL wanted a convertible car seat so she can have either grandchild (we're gonna keep my son rear facing as long as possible after he turns 1) and no re-threading of the straps.

Is there something that we're doing wrong with regard to the install of the car seat in her van? We live in Stony Plain (near Edmonton) is there anywhere that we can go to get some help with a proper install?

Thanks!

ADS

featherhead

The red line does not *have* to be parallel to the ground. It can be as upright as 35 degrees. But you would have to make sure it is reclined enough for the newborn. I agree that when the red line is parallel to the ground it looks over-reclined. But I think it is just the shape of the seat. The seat may need to be reinstalled depending on the child that is in it. For the newborn it will need to be reclined to 45 degrees, while for the older baby it can be a little more upright. If you can post pictures, we can let you know if the recline is good or not.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm in Edmonton on the west end near WEM. If you're going to be in the city I can help you out. Just email me at snowbird25ca@car-seat.org if you'd like to meet up.

eta: Stony Plain and Spruce Grove carseat clinics have been discontinued as of the check in July. The only remaining ones left in the city are at fire station 9 and 25 and those are happening every other month now until Nov, I'm not sure what is happening in the new year - they're in the process of phasing seat checks out & restructuring the program with a slightly different focus. Last one was just last week in the city here and the next one is end part of Sept, then there's the November one. (I don't have the dates in front of me at the moment.)

Baileysmom2

Thank you for your response. I've passed that information onto my MIL.

She wanted a car seat that would not have to be adjusted everytime with a different child (angle-wise). We realize that the straps will need to be adjusted and with the no-rethreading of the straps this one seems that it would be great for her needs. I hope we can get this one to work out.

The Triumph straps seem so uncomfortable (at the shoulder area....with the red plastic pieces on them....why did they do that?! This seat installed easier....sigh.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC