Pros and Cons of Safeguard Child Seat

tl01

I would love to know the pros and cons of this seat from people who have owned it. Does this seat cause head slump and does the headrest help hold up the child's head on the side? Also, how is the seat belt install on this seat?

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
My son does have some head-slumpage in the seat, but honestly, he does in every seat. The wings aren't really substantial enough for head support--they go out to the sides more than out to the front.

The LATCH installation is the easiest in the world. Seatbelt install takes a little more effort, but not more than you'd need for any other seat. The main things to watch out for are that you move the LATCH connectors out of the way (they sort-of dangle near the belt path, so you have to make sure you don't belt over them), and sometimes the shoulder belt gets stuck in the lockoff before you're ready for it, but you can just tug it out and finish tightening.

It's a truly awesome seat, and I :love: it.

On the other hand, I bought it when there weren't any other HWH seats for traveling (before the advent of the Nautilus and Frontier), because it was basically our only choice. (In retrospect, I would never travel with it--the thing is HEAVY.) Now that there are other options (Nautilus and Frontier) that are also more versatile (turn into boosters), it's hard for me to recommend the SafeGuard. It's way cool, but is it $250 cooler than the Nautilus? I dunno.

tl01

I'm debating btwn the Safeguard and the Signo. I need to go see how DS fits shoulder-wise in the Signo before I make a choice. I like the natural recline of the Signo a lot. I will still have a Radian and a TF for traveling until he outgrows those seats. At that point I could likely use a high back booster to traveling depending upon his age and size. I feel as if there is head slump in all of the forward facing seats and that is making me a little batty.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I installed it with the seat belt in our '01 Golf and '07 Mazda5, and it was quite easy, even in the 3rd row of the 5 which is notoriously difficult. (It was, however, incompatible in the 3rd row because of the overhang - no overhang allowed with the SafeGuard.)

I would only consider it if I were buying it for my child to be used by someone who had LATCH, but that I could not trust to adequately install it. It's practically idiot-proof when installed with LATCH. If I were Queen of the World, all carseats would have LATCH like that!

tl01

I installed it with the seat belt in our '01 Golf and '07 Mazda5, and it was quite easy, even in the 3rd row of the 5 which is notoriously difficult. (It was, however, incompatible in the 3rd row because of the overhang - no overhang allowed with the SafeGuard.)

I would only consider it if I were buying it for my child to be used by someone who had LATCH, but that I could not trust to adequately install it. It's practically idiot-proof when installed with LATCH. If I were Queen of the World, all carseats would have LATCH like that!

I can only use the LATCH aspect for another 5-6 lbs b/c my car has a 40 lbs LATCH limit. Does that make it a silly purchase? I'm pretty confident in my abilities to install a seat after reading the instructions.

Would you get a Signo instead? I guess I'm a little nervous about the "belt guides" instead of a lock off. Hmm.... there's never a perfect seat!
I'm not in love with the Nautilus or the Frontier and the Regent is just such a beast.... I'm wondering how kids have any sleeping support in that seat. Maybe if DS was older it would be a good choice..anyway.. I'm rambling.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I can only use the LATCH aspect for another 5-6 lbs b/c my car has a 40 lbs LATCH limit. Does that make it a silly purchase? I'm pretty confident in my abilities to install a seat after reading the instructions.

Not if it fits your needs otherwise, and you can swing the cost. It's a great seat - I loved the way the harnesses adjusted with the headrest - SO easy! I could lower it all the way when DD wasn't with me so that I had a better view out that window, and then very quickly and easily re-adjust it next time she got in. You just pick it up and move it where it needs to go. Plus, if I needed to haul someone else's kid, there was absolutely no problem. I could easily adjust it to fit anyone from my friend's 2yo to my 6 yo niece, without unthreading or uninstalling anything.

And if you NEED built-in lock-offs, there aren't many HWH options. I didn't like the harness tightener - it's a knob on the sides, very similar to the Triumph Advanced, but that's a love/hate thing, yk? Some love it, others hate it.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm one who loves the knob adjusters, but I was also using it after the Wizard, which I HATED in terms of tightening (the ratcheting).

We generally used the SafeGuard in the center, where LATCH isn't allowed in my car. I did feel a little like I was missing out on one of the coolest options of the seat, but it didn't keep me from using it.

I generally wouldn't recommend a convertible seat for a FF kid, only because you're already not using half the seat, you know? I do understand your concern with head-slumping, though. I have to say, that's sort of a crapshoot. My DS has head-slumpage in the Nautilus and SafeGuard (which both have "wings") and almost none in the Regent, which is completely flat. Go figure.

Since you have LATCH in your car, you also have locking seatbelts, so lockoffs shouldn't be an issue for you, unless you plan on using it in an older car.

firemomof3

Just to add to the discussion; I don't have a safeguard but I do have 2 signos. My tall, leggy 5y/o has used the signo a few times and actually prefers it to the GN. She falls alseep in the signo & has no head slumping vs the GN where she sometimes does. I know what you mean about the head slumping driving you batty, me too!

angie3096

We've never had issues with head slump. DD often falls asleep in this seat, and almost never falls asleep in her Regent even when she is exhausted. It's a comfy seat! It is now installed with a seatbelt in DH's civic and it's rock solid, but I didn't do it myself; we took it to a clinic and had it done by a tech. But it didn't take her long, she just buckled it in and voila! Pros: Comfy, nice SIP, tall, very solid, straps don't twist, easy to adjust, plays well with others (I could see this working in a 3 across situation; it puzzles well with the baby's SS1). Cons: it would be too narrow in the butt area for a lot of older kids. It's built for skinny kids! And it's heavy. And it's overpriced. It's nice, but so is a Britax.

BW1426

I don't own a Safeguard, but I did play with the one at my tech class as much as I possibly could :p It's a cool seat, but I don't think I'd spend that kind of money on it if you aren't using the LATCH feature. And, I didn't really find it that much less cumbersome than the Regent.

You already have 4 seats that should last your LO a long, long time. I think I'd hold out and see what kind of awesome seats are out in a year or two. The nice thing about the Regent is it will harness longer than any of your other seats and the Safeguard doesn't really harness longer than your Como. I think it would be nice to add a seat to your stash that would fill a different niche than the others--the Regent would do this.

sunnymw

It fit my 1yo really well, even though I'd never let him ride in one! I went to an upscale boutique to look at seats and they were clearancing these for $225, but I had a 19lb 1yo, and even though the salesman said he "HAD TO BE" forward facing, I knew better and decided on the Boulevard (which I then ordered online for cheaper... they were already charging an arm and a leg and I didn't like their cover choices). On a brighter note, the salesman DID say kids should be harnessed as long as humanly possible.

arly1983

Pros and Cons....

I loved every single thing about it but the leg depth. It would have been plenty adequate for a long time but it just wasn't as much as I thought we would need later but I can't see the future so who knows.

Now that my only other choices are the Frontier, Regent, Nautilus in a few a few months when #3 needs a convertable or J outgrows the Signo (not going to happen unless there is a MAJOR growth spurt), I am getting a Safeguard.

It has all the features that are most important to m.e.

Now, I love my Signos as well but I don't think I would have bought a second one if I didn't know that #3 would use it one day. It just really depends are what you are looking for and what is most important to you.

jmmatlock

CPST Instructor
My almost-5 yo uses the Safeguard but doesn't sleep in the car very often any more, so we don't have a problem with the head slump - at least that I've noticed.

I agree with the poster who has problems with the leg depth. It seems to be a common problem in the HWH seats. She seems to have similar amount of leg depth room in the Safeguard (where she has lots of growing room height-wise) and the Marathon (which she's nearly outgrown by height). She's 37 lbs. I think part of the leg depth issue is that the seat drops off, rather than curves at the edge. The Britax seats curve better, to allow a more natural fall toward the knee bend -at least until the kid gets really leggy. :D

I don't have any experience with the Recaro seats, so I'm no help there.

Just my quick thoughts. Hope that helps.

Jacks

We have a SG in my hubby's car and love it. My son is 4.5 yo and has an 18.5" torso and is at the top harness height with only about 1/2" of growing room. The seat is easy to install using LATCH and seatbelt but is extremely heavy. It is also a tall seat and at its highest setting, impossible for me to see out the rear window when installed in the center position. We can't use it outboard in my car either becasue the headwings touch the side airbags. Jack occassionally sleeps in the car and we haven't noticed the head slumping problem with him. A breeze to adjust. A very high quality seat but am not sure I would recommend it over the Nautilus either.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC