Cross Border Travel

How would you replace your seats if travelling across the border?

• Use old seats temporarily, though crash guidelines not met

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Buy US seats then replace with CA seats

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • send one adult back to CA to replace seats

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jerenaud

Totally hypothetical here -

Over the summer we were travelling over the border (Ontario to Michigan) and I was trying to figure out how on earth the logistics would work to replace the seats should we be in an accident. We were too far from the border to easily send one adult back to Canada to get seats and return for the other adult and children. So would we have had to buy US seats for a matter of a few hours, then also buy CA seats? Not that I've ever had a check stop person check to make sure we're using CA seats, but the last one did grill us about the tether and LATCH, so they may be starting to be more aware of carseat issues.

ADS

HEVY

I thought when traveling you are allowed to use your own seat providing it's a temporary trip.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I thought when traveling you are allowed to use your own seat providing it's a temporary trip.

What she's saying is that she's FROM Canada and VISITS Michigan. If she's in Michigan and get in a crash, should she send someone to purchase Canadian seats (that she could continue to use once she arrives home), or purchase US seats to use until she arrives back in Canada and can purchase seats that she can legally use there.

OP, HOW far were you from the border? And what types of seats are the kids in? Depending on the kids' ages etc., I'd be tempted to just get inexpensive American seats (Turbo, Scenera) etc. and then keep them at home for use in an absolute emergency. :twocents:

mum2two

Interesting question...I bet there are people out there (not on this board) who have no idea that the seats are labeled and are different between the two countries...I guess either buy cheap seats like bookmama suggested and keep them as extra's or buy the seats you felt you really needed and use them in hopes you would not be fined....as long as you knew the seat you were buying met safety standards appropriate to Canada....I know there are folks who come down to the US and bring back seats not available in Canada....when I go home to Canada for a few weeks in the summer I always hope I never have to do that as I have a MA and Regent and we drive 900 miles and I wouldn't want a cheap unpadded seat for the kids for that ride back home!

I'd also suggest picking up inexpensive seats in that situation. I am actually considering picking up an inexpensive US booster to use just for travel in the US. When DS moves to a booster full time, I definitely want him in a high back, and the ones I'm looking at are heavy. I'm considering picking up one of the FP boosters that are available inexpensively in the US with the removable backs. I think it would suit our travel needs well, and for $30, even if I use it only for a couple of trips, it sure beats renting a seat from the car rental agency.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC