Question Car seat with retractable harness?

HEVY

Some years ago, 10+ maybe, I recall a seat that came out that had retractable harnesses, like a seat belt. Am I crazy? Did I imagine that? I thought it was the Safeguard seat but just read that it has the knob. I swear I have seen a commercial, or some type of video, demonstrating the seat.

ADS

TerisBoys

The Fisher Price T-shield did, and I think some of the Renolux's.

Gerry and Kolcraft had some like that too when Josh was a baby (1996).

angie3096

The Safeguard does have a retractable harness but it retracts very slowly, and it doesn't retract tightly enough. They had a good idea but it doesn't quite work out the way it looks in the video. Hence the knobs.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I do not know about a retractible harness, but in 1993 DS 2 had a Gerry Shield booster with a retractable lap belt. When you closed the shield it tightened up the lap belt across his legs. I do give them a :thumbsup: for making a booster that my son could not climb out. DS 1 climbed out of his booster all the time.

HEVY

Thanks, now I know I'm not crazy.
I remember the FP and Gerry seats I used both, LOL, I forgot about the FP one though.

U

Unregistered1

Yup, the FP T-shield my brother and I sat in had a retractable harness. Lucky us, we got the one that had the little button and never had to endure the trauma of getting our heads stuck in it! :eek: They wound up recalling some of them for that. How hard is it to figure out to add a little button? LOL.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I guess these are the seats I missed out on when I did not know any better and moved my boys to the seatbelt waaaaaaay to soon. They are now 18, soon to be 16, and 14 yo.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
The Safeguard does have a retractable harness but it retracts very slowly, and it doesn't retract tightly enough. They had a good idea but it doesn't quite work out the way it looks in the video. Hence the knobs.

Yep. The retractor part gets out the majority of the slack, but you still need the knobs to finish tightening. It's not quite the same as the "oldies but goodies" mentioned here. If it really DID automatically tighten all the way, I'd probably have to marry it.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Just in case you like pics.
Gerry.
IMG_0742Medium.jpg

Fisher Price.
IMG_0737Medium.jpg

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I bet there were/are people who thought those made great teethers :thumbsdown: (not to be confused with tether :p)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC