Honda owners

crunchierthanthou

Safety Belt Safe, USA is reporting that Honda may start allowing borrowing for center LATCH in vehicles that have standard spacing in the center position. Per FMVSS 225, standard spacing is 11". Would it be possible for a few of you to measure the distance between the two inner lower anchors in your vehicles?

The 11" is measured from the center of one anchor, to the center of the other.

anchorspacing.jpg

which in my vehicle is also the distance between the centers of the two labels for the seating position.

labelspacing.jpg

Given that my small subaru has at least 14" between the inner anchors, I'm not too hopeful that this will open up many vehicles to center LATCH.

Last edited:
ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Given that my small subaru has at least 14" between the inner anchors, I'm not too hopeful that this will open up many vehicles to center LATCH.

I agree with this, unfortunately - the spacing between the inner anchors in my Ford Focus wagon (NOT a large car) is about 16".

orangemnms

I can measure the Civic for you tomorrow when DH gets home from work.

Measuring the Odyssey is pointless as there are no two sets of anchors next to each other with a seat in between, unless you install the plus one (no top tether.) :thumbsdown:

crunchierthanthou

I'll will measure a Honda CRV for you this weekend.

How does one confirm that if they are indeed 11",,it can be used?

If it's the 2008 CRV in your Radian thread, it should be 11" as it's a designated LATCH position.

I'm not sure about the confirmation. It's definitely a credible source and I expect we'll see a change to next year's LATCH manual. We'll probably have to call Honda for now. I'm a bit skeptical. It's not that I don't believe the info, but I'm doubtful we'll find a vehicle with standard spacing that wasn't already designated as such.

o_mom

I can check a 2006 Accord tonight. I actually wouldn't be surprised if it was 11" as they are offset toward the center. It would certainly make my life easier if I could use a Radian there. :)

cdncasper

I just checked my Civic and the spacing is way more than 11" (about 16-18") I couldn't get an accurate measurement since I was getting nausea climbing into the back of the car--being sick sucks.

loufrando

I just checked my ('04) CR-V and they are about 17 inches apart. :(

Too bad because the center belt that comes from the ceiling and buckles on both sides is a nightmare for carseat installs (except high-based ones like Britax convertibles).

o_mom

Just checked my 2006 Honda Accord sedan & the center is 11" just like both outboard seats :thumbsup:

Ditto on that!!! If anyone hears an official word, shout it out. That would make my life so much easier (and I would **NEED** a latchable booster for that spot then).

crunchierthanthou

(and I would **NEED** a latchable booster for that spot then).

standard spacing generally doesn't apply to latchable boosters because it's only the weight of the seat in that case. IIRC, both Britax and SSK have confirmed this. However, the offset anchors in the Accord may not be compatible with using latch in booster mode because the seatbelt buckle would be blocked. That exact vehicle configuration came up in the SSK Monterey chat (by you, it appears :) ).

The offset lower anchors of the Accord were my main hope for finding the 11" spacing. I'm glad we found at least one vehicle where this will apply. :)

o_mom

standard spacing generally doesn't apply to latchable boosters because it's only the weight of the seat in that case. IIRC, both Britax and SSK have confirmed this. However, the offset anchors in the Accord may not be compatible with using latch in booster mode because the seatbelt buckle would be blocked. That exact vehicle configuration came up in the SSK Monterey chat (by you, it appears :) ).

The offset lower anchors of the Accord were my main hope for finding the 11" spacing. I'm glad we found at least one vehicle where this will apply. :)

I was thinking mainly of something with rigid LATCH, like the Oobr, where you would need standard spacing.

The SK chat didn't get to my follow up question, unfortunately, because he misunderstood what I was saying. In that car, the backseat looks like this:

__S__L___SS_L____L_SS___L__S___

where S=seatbelt and L = Latch. I can't use a LATCHed booster outboard because of the overlap, but since the center anchors are between the seatbelt anchors for the center seating position, I could LATCH a booster there.

I actually think it would be fine there, even if Honda didn't approve of it because it is a booster and only holding the seat. I wouldn't do a harnessed seat there unless they said it was OK. I just never realized it was standard spacing before and until now all the LATCHing boosters have been huge, so crossing my fingers the Oobr is narrow enough.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC