Question Do I need to buy a booster for playdates/field trips?

Milkie&Cookie

DS is 6, but is a tiny peanut. He's like 35lbs soaking wet. He's in a Regent in mine and DH's car and an Apex 65 in MIL's car. I am assuming that as he gets older this school year that he may want to go on playdates or with another parent on field trips (private school - rarely uses busses). I used to always take him on the field trips but I work now. Because the Regent is such a beast, I really don't know that I can ask another parent to install it or that I trust them to install it properly. Should I get a HBB for such potential occassions? I don't want to be in a situation where I have to run out to BRU and just be stuck with whatever they have in stock.... What do you think? I'm scared thinking of him in just a booster, but its better than someone thinking they can put him in a LBB or something... If I do get one, what do you think? Parkway?

ADS

Starlight

Senior Community Member
A good highback, like a PW, Monarch or Monterey would be a good choice.

It'll also be good to have it on hand for when you transport his friends who are in inappropriate seats.

Milkie&Cookie

Good point on the friends. I already have put both regents in to transport another child. It would be easier to have the booster rather than having to rethread straps. So I haven't done any research on boosters. Which would you recommend for occasional use on a tiny peanut boy? My siggy's a bit outdated. He's more like 42 inches tall, but still only 35 lbs. He just turned 6 in July. I drive a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan and DH has a 2008 Saturn Aura if that makes a difference. They both have side airbags. He's a Wizard baby, so wings don't bother him as long as his giant head fits. LOL

sarsah

My 5 1/2 year old is 44" tall and around 41 lbs. His primary seat is a Sunshine Kids Monterey. He fits great in it and is really comfotable. I have not heard one complaint. My older DS likes it too, although he's pretty much too tall for it.
The only drawback for you is that it is pretty big and heavy, so not the best to be toting back and forth to school, etc.

A Parkway or Monarch would be a better choice as far as portability goes, especially since your DS is small. My kids never really liked the Parkway -- the seat was too short for my older DS's long legs and then I had issues with the back staying up when it was adjusted a few times daily for carpooling, so I ended up selling them getting something else.

Target.com has both the Monarch & the Monterey with free shipping right now and you can return them to the store. If you wanted to go that route, you could order both and see which one you like best. Also, if you have a Target Visa, you can use the 10% off rewards coupon for greater savings.

Michi

I would go with either a Monarch or a Monterey.
I prefer them because they have really nice SIP, and if a child that small has to be in a booster, I would want them as protected as possible.

Last edited:

Milkie&Cookie

I would go with either a Monarch or a Monterey.
I prefer them because they have really nice SIP, and if a child that young has to be in a booster, I would want them as protected as possible.

The Compass has SIP - would you think that would be ok for the maybe 2 or 3 times a year that it would be used? I just love the idea of the folding to store and transport

Michi

I think that the Compass would be fine.
While it's wings are not as deep as a Monarch/Monterey, they are deeper than a Graco/Evenflo/Cosco, etc. and they are still lined with protective EPS foam.
The folding feature IS pretty handy, too.;)

Have you tried your child in any of these booster to see which one fits him the best?

When I was shopping for boosters, I had pretty much made up my mind that I wanted a Parkway, but then I tried my kids in the Monarch and I "fell in love" with it. It just fit better. If you have a store that sells boosters nearby, I would suggest taking him along and having him sit in several. Seeing him in the actual seats just might help you make up your mind. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC