Question What seat is this?

The Bjorns

I just received a newsletter by Sir Speedy and this is their lead article. What seat is this and is it likely expired? I would look at the child and assume she's under a year so she should be rear facing so the straps are wrong. I hate the bullet point stating that once babies hit 1 year AND 20 lbs they can ride facing forward. They probably think they've being extra safe emphasizing the AND. I have started an e-mail to the company, but I'd like to include as many facts as possible. Any suggestions?

SirSpeedycropped.jpg

ADS

Mama!

Man, those red buttons on the side make me remember a seat from WAY back when. I destroyed one at a thrift store lately :whistle: Maybe a Gerry or a Century? :confused:

BookMama

Senior Community Member
The suggestion that kids might benefit from a seat belt adjuster after they stop using a booster just made me cringe. :thumbsdown:

Edited to add: Jinx, Jools! :)

cpsaddict

That's an Evenflo Horizon or Tribute. That is a signature Evenflo OHS design, with the red buttons.
ETA: Now that I look at it, I believe it is a Conquest, the more stripped down version of the Horizon. I think it's expired, too.

The Bjorns

Great link to the pictorial. I'm thinking maybe an Evenflo Tribute 2002-2004. The ComfortSport seems to have a notch with an adjuster in the sheild.

Just makes me shudder on multiple levels...:eek:

I know my DH receives these and ejoys some of the trivia articles and things so I know people read these newsletters.

ETA: Jacky, Thanks! I didn't see a picture of the Conquest. Must go back and look...

The Bjorns

How's this for my e-mail to the company that published the newsletter:

I just received the August 2008 issue of “Printer’s Press” and was extremely disappointed in your cover article, “Buckle Up, Baby!” The car seat pictured is a model that is discontinued at best and most likely expired at worst. Most troubling is all the poor information contained in your article. You state that for more information you can reference the American Academy of Pediatrics, however, your article does not coincide with the latest recommendations of the AAP, and the web page address you provide is no longer valid.

Children should ride rear facing as long as possible, until they outgrow the rear facing limits of their seat, generally around 2-3 years of age. After that, then they should be turned forward facing until, again, they outgrow the limits of their seat. There are many harnessed options available instead of immediately going into a booster seat.

Your article mentions that once a booster seat is outgrown, kids might benefit from a seat-belt adjuster. Belt adjusters have not been crash tested and are not recommended by the AAP. Serious internal injuries can result from these products because they position the belt across the abdomen rather than across the hips. A properly fitting booster positions the adult-sized seat-belt until the child is large enough and mature enough to fit correctly without the booster.

You did have some good advice, such as trying out the fit of the seat for the child and to also keep children in the back seat due to the dangers air bags pose. I commend you for including an article in your newsletter that you thought would be helpful for many readers, but you missed an opportunity to pass along good information. Articles like this, although well intentioned, only serve to perpetrate outdated, and potentially dangerous, information.

Please consider a note in upcoming newsletters providing the correct web address of the AAP’s car seat information: http://www.aap.org/healthtopics/carseatsafety.cfm From here a variety of car seat safety topics can be accessed.

Anything else I should include. I doubt anyone other than some flunky at an order desk will see it, but at least I'm trying.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Sounds good. I don't get so upset about what seat people use, but at least use it right, sheesh! Even at ffing, that shield should be way closer to that baby. :( That's why I can't stand to read most articles on carseats, they have the worst pictures!

The Bjorns

Yeah, I didn't even want to go into the misuse of the seat pictured. I figure if anyone reads it, I'm ahead of the game and I'm hoping that if I don't attack too much they might include an updated blurb in a future newsletter.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC