Vent The MA is not compact in comparison to the TF/EFTA

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I read this in threads often enough that it's starting to make me want to reply every single time I read it and I don't have the time to do that every time. ;)

From what others have posted, the TF is about 1" wider than the MA and the EFTA is about 1/2" wider. They're shaped differently, and will puzzle differently - as will any seat. But they're really not that much wider. If a MA is an option in the seating position, then the TF and EFTA most likely are as well.

Please don't just tell people they're bulky and not likely to work unless you know 100% for certain it doesn't fit in their vehicle and that the MA does. I know sometimes one person says something and then it gets passed on as fact, and that there is not a ton of experience with the TF around here, but the best advice is always to have the person test it out in their car.

In terms of occupied space front to back, the EFTA is more compact than the MA. And the TF can be at more of an angle than the MA and occupy the same amount of space. The MA is already a wide seat, so a 1/2" to 1" isn't really that big of a deal. Both of these seats are nice seats and shouldn't be blanketly thrown under the "bulky, choose something else" blanket unless you're also throwing the MA & BLVD into there.

Now the Regent - from the measurements I've seen, that seat is a beast. ;)

Just had to get that off my chest. :eek:

ADS

crunchierthanthou

hmmm. I must have missed those posts. I don't think the word compact applies to the MA in comparison to any convertible- or most ff only seats for that matter.

Although, fit definitely depends on your vehicle. A rf MA does take up less space front to back than the EFTA in mine. :shrug-shoulders:

snowbird25ca

hmmm. I must have missed those posts. I don't think the word compact applies to the MA in comparison to any convertible- or most ff only seats for that matter.

Although, fit definitely depends on your vehicle. A rf MA does take up less space front to back than the EFTA in mine. :shrug-shoulders:

There was a recent one I just read today that I'm not linking to because I don't want to single it out, but I've read it a number of times in the last week or two. :eek:

I could definitely see the vehicle influencing fit. I think it's also partly that the EFTA is deceptive about how upright it is so when looking at a seat being more upright the seats may differ more. At a newborn recline it definitely take up less room in my vehicle anyways, although I'm guessing it's quite frequently the case after seeing how much less room it takes than a Scenera at a newborn recline - although again, that would've been vehicle specific. :thumbsup:

cpsaddict

I would certainly never describe the Marathon as compact, either. In fact, I think that would only apply to the Scenera. IMO, most convertibles are bulky. I have seen the True Fit and I will admit I think the whole thing just looks VERY bulky. But that doesn't mean that's how it fits in the car. It all depends on the situation. I even think the Radian is bulky, probably because it won't sit upright by itself and it weighs a ton.

snowbird25ca

I would certainly never describe the Marathon as compact, either. In fact, I think that would only apply to the Scenera. IMO, most convertibles are bulky. I have seen the True Fit and I will admit I think the whole thing just looks VERY bulky. But that doesn't mean that's how it fits in the car. It all depends on the situation. I even think the Radian is bulky, probably because it won't sit upright by itself and it weighs a ton.

You know Jacky, you might be on to something there - it could be a case sometimes of never having installed or used it, but looking at it and thinking how huge it is.

cpsaddict

You know Jacky, you might be on to something there - it could be a case sometimes of never having installed or used it, but looking at it and thinking how huge it is.

Yes, that's what I mean. Looking at the EFTA on the shelf, it just looks HUGE. The MA looks less so because it is narrower in places. The Scenera looks nice and compact, but takes up a lot of room when at a 45* angle.

lemurmommies

I certainly wouldn't ever describe the Marathon as being "compact." That said, it definitely fits more easily into my vehicle (2005 Ford Focus) that the True Fit. For me, it's more about space front-to-back than it is about with.

Since the TF sits low to the seat, I actually find it easier to get two passengers in my backseat with the TF than with the MA. I think it's because the MA flares out in a different place and makes it less comfy to be sitting right beside. I can, however, get the MA in the car at a 45 degree recline, which is something I cannot to with my TF (with the headrest on.) The combo of the taller shell and not being able to brace it against the front seat makes it take up more room in our car.

I still love my TF though, and my DS has more growing room in it height-wise on the straps than he does in the MA, even though they have very similar strap heights. I don't think it's a seat that should be discounted at all!

solmama

It also irks me when people say this. I've had all 3 of these seats (although my "MA" was a FPSVD) and the amount of room they occupy, width wise, is trivial. Front to back, they're different. Features and roominess are different too.

Isn't the EFTA wider than the TF? I have both seats, and have measured both seats (width wise) and the EFTA is 1/2"-1" wider than the TF. I can measure them again, if needed.

The EFTA and the TF occupy the same space (rf), front to back, in our van.

And yes, the Regent is a beastly seat. We dislike having to remove it and put it in another vehicle, truly a pitb. My dd loves it though and we do appreciate it on long trips.

Is there something about the TF not being up against the front seat while rear-facing? My manual says nothing about it. It says to refer to vehicle manual for airbag warnings. So, if you can't brace the TF (due to an airbag), then the MA can't be either. Learning Curve is still in the learning process with their takeover of Compass and there's been a lot of confusion and misinformation. Is this one of those instances?

BW1426

The only time I think it's an issue is when we're discussing traveling with the seat because the EFTA is so awkward to carry because it doesn't have a lip. I've never seen a True Fit so I'm not sure about that.

mimieliza

To add to this, I do have to say I'm confused when the MA is recommended for people with small cars. Now, a lot of people say they have a "small" car when they really have a perfectly spacious car like a Honda Accord or something. I even saw a post once worried about fitting a car seat in their soooooo small Ford Taurus - those things are boats! And I know a lot of people who claim a seat won't fit are installing it at a very reclined 45 degrees, and we can correct that.

But for truly small cars (I'm thinking Honda Fit, Toyota Corolla, Mini Cooper, and smaller) the MA is a risky recommendation for people who need to drive with a comfortable and safe front passenger. Sometimes it will fit, sometimes it won't. And if it doesn't, I don't think the Roundabout is a bad recommendation at all. It does not last as long as other seats, but hopefully will get a kid to at least 18 months - 2 years RFing, at which point they may need to be FFing in the small vehicle. But it just seems like the Marathon is recommended for some pretty tight situations, when it is a BIG seat RFing.

And, FWIW, in my Subaru Forester (small backseat, lots of install issues), the huge EFTA fits wonderfully and leaves more legroom for the front passenger than the Boulevard does.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
To add to this, I do have to say I'm confused when the MA is recommended for people with small cars. Now, a lot of people say they have a "small" car when they really have a perfectly spacious car like a Honda Accord or something. I even saw a post once worried about fitting a car seat in their soooooo small Ford Taurus - those things are boats! And I know a lot of people who claim a seat won't fit are installing it at a very reclined 45 degrees, and we can correct that.
I found that the MA installed RF was a better fit then the TF RF behind the drivers side because I could brace the MA and not the TF. With the TF I had to have the drivers seat up way to far compared to the MA.

Now, I think the TF is a bulky seat but it fit well in a three across situation in my Accord FF behind the driver with a FF Radian and a RF SS1. If the seat could have been up a bit more then it would have fit 3 across RF.

My only thing with the EFTA for RF is that in some vehicles it is hard to tighten and loosen because of where the knobs are.

:twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC