seat recommendation for 7 year old on a plane?

MyLittleTyke

Senior Community Member
What would be a good seat for a 7 year old who weighs 50 lbs for an airplane trip (and will be used in a car at our destination)? Currently he rides in a regent. Obviously cannot use that on a plane, and there is no way I would ever gate check a seat, and would never lug that beast thru an airport. Traveling in a seat on the plane is a must. I was thinking of the graco nautilus. Would that be a good choice? It's inexpensive and not as heavy as some of the other HWH seats. Any other suggestions?

ADS

Ahzryn

At 7 and 50 pounds, I would be fine using the lap belt on the plane with no hesitation whatsoever. For the destination, I'd probably either pack the back of a Turbo and carry on the base in the overhead, or carry on a Compass B510 in the overhead.

If a harness is an absolute must at the destination for behavioral issues, that's a little bit more tricky. Any of the HWH harnesses that a seven year old is likely to fit in would be a bear to use on the plane, if it's even possible. Maybe an 86-Y with one of the above boosters?

MyLittleTyke

Senior Community Member
No behavorial issues - just momma's peace of mind. ;) I'll try him in a nautilus and see if he still fits. I'd like to avoid a booster if possible. I really prefer him to be harnessed. He is an average size 7 year old, not big, not small.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I agree that at 7 and 50 lbs with no outstanding issues, I would feel 100% comfortable with him in the airplane seat on the plane and in a booster for the trip. The compass booster is a great travel option.

If you want him harnessed, the Nautilus is a good option, just need to make sure he fits. It is not really any lighter than any of the other hwh seats. It is smaller than the Regent, though.

U

Unregistered

My daughter will be 7 in a few days.. 48inches, 17inches torso, 53lbs. Short little girl and barely barely barely fits in a Graco Nautilus. I would be surprised if buying a Nautilus would work or even be worth the money in your situation.

She is in a Regent as well but if I was in your situation..

We'd use a lap belt on plane and a booster at destination!

MyLittleTyke

Senior Community Member
Blah. Okay, how about the CARES system for him in the airplane and a booster at our destination? I understand the concerns regarding the CARES system, however, at 7, it should fit him well.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The CARES harness won't be workable for your 7 year old because it has a weight limit of 44 lbs. I would opt to carry on a booster or a Ride Safer Travel Vest to be used at your destination. That's what I did recently for my 6.5 year old DD1 on our vacation. Her current stats are in my signature. We brought a Ride Safer Travel Vest for her to use in car service vehicles to and from the airport, and she normally rides in a Regent back home. :)

magoose

I have a 6 1/2 yr old in a Nautilus and he likes his seat a lot. Maybe try your DS in one. Looking at his weight he should get some more use out of it. I do not know how they fit in a plane as we have not flown with DS since he got the Nautilus. Anna

Kat_Momof3

at that age and weight, unless he has special needs, I would be fine packing a booster and taking it along... I'd see if he still fits in the Compass B510, since it folds, or take a turbobooster.

but, if he fits in the Nautilus and you really want him harnessed, then go for it... just saying I'd try before you buy it

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I bought a Radian for a plane trip for my 7yo DD last winter, but she's small for her age. She was just under 40lbs at the time, and I wasn't comfortable with her in a booster at that point due to her size and complete unfamiliarity with a booster. Also, I knew I'd be using it dh's car since she was about to outgrow the Marathon he had in there.

However, I think the Ride Safer Travel Vest would be a good solution for your child. It can't be used on the plane, but at his age/weight, the lap belt should be fine.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC