If britax made a seat like the Frontier but no harness would you buy it?....

Would you buy a frontier that was only a booster?

• Yes, I would buy 2 or more

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Yes, I would buy 1.

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • No, I wouldn't buy one

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 14 24.1%

• Total voters

emandbri

I'm curious how many would buy one. I would totally buy one or two. I would love to have Jacob in a high back but he is too tall for all other high backs out there. He is almost 12 though and I just can't see spending $260 on a booster for a 12 year old. Daniel has one more notch on his parkway before he is too tall and I would like one for him as well and might end up getting him one. I'm still waiting to see one in person.

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Re: If britax made a seat like the fronteir but no harness would you buy it?....

Yes, I would. It is the highest booster on the market.

bubbaray

Re: If britax made a seat like the fronteir but no harness would you buy it?....

If they made it narrow like the Parkway, yes I would. Higher Parkway that LATCHed would be a nice seat.

Didn't Britax state on some TV interview that they are not interested in making non-harnessed boosters anymore -- they think all kids of booster age/size should be in a harness.

ETA: assuming they released it in Canada. Sigh.

emandbri

If they made it narrow like the Parkway, yes I would. Higher Parkway that LATCHed would be a nice seat.

Didn't Britax state on some TV interview that they are not interested in making non-harnessed boosters anymore -- they think all kids of booster age/size should be in a harness.

ETA: assuming they released it in Canada. Sigh.

I think it was a question and answer session on this board. They said they were discontinuing the monarch and weren't going to have a dedicated booster because they feel children should be in a harness longer. That would make since if people had one child and they put that child in one car, the frontier would in fact last them for a very long time. But when people have multiple kids to hand seats down to, when you need seats for grand-parent's cars, and when many kids are ready to go from a marathon to a booster I feel it doesn't make sense.

skaterbabs

:yeahthat:

Of course it's a totally boneheaded move on their parrt to discontinue all dedicated boosters IMO. My 12 year old needs a booster in our Suburban. he outgrew the Husky/Regent two years ago. What the heck do they suggest?

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor

I voted that I didn't know.

I agree that it's ridiculous they're not making dedicated boosters anymore. A 6yr old child who is outgrowing the MA and able to sit properly in a booster should absolutely be able to go into a booster. It's ridiculous to think parents should just fork out another $300 (in Canada,) for what would mainly be used as a booster.

The average child won't ever need belt guides that high, right? So the only way I'd spend that much money on a dedicated booster would be in special circumstances - low seatbacks, no headrests, tall child who had outgrown every other available high back booster. And the vehicles without headrests and with low seatbacks are getting older and older all the time and getting to be less and less on the road... this problem of needing that extra support is only going to disappear making backless boosters for those 10yr olds who still need a booster a perfectly feasible option.

scatterbunny

Of course it's a totally boneheaded move on their parrt to discontinue all dedicated boosters IMO.

:yeahthat:

H will be out of a Regent by her 8th birthday. She's already a full inch over the Frontier's top harness slots, at 52.5 inches tall and 60 pounds. I'm guessing she'll be out of the tallest dedicated highback boosters on the market by her 10th birthday, but we drive a 2003 Ford Focus, no rear headrests, and a pretty low seat back. So, we need a highback for as long as possible to provide the necessary head/neck support. I can't justify the cost of a Frontier, though, when she's already too big for harnessed mode at barely 7. That's just too much to pay to use only booster mode.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician

It's also comfortably wide with good leg support... there's an, um, expanding market for seats to accomodate much larger children now that booster laws are finally beginning to extend to older/heavier children.

ginny4

i'd buy one (i think) but it does depend if it is needed after the monterey. we have low backs in our van but if i had a van with headrests. i'd just go with no back boosters after the monterey.

my2kidsSafe

if i was in the position like you yes i would. Also given that you have a dd to pass the frontier down too, i would probably buy the frontier for ds and by the time he is done wth it you could use it for dd.

christineka

I don't think headrestless vehicles will be disappearing any time within the next 10 years. I have seen quite a few 80's vehicles around town. My vehicles are 90's without rear headrests. There are 2005 vehicles with headrestless positions. Even the 2008 ford van's have bench seats without headrests. There will still be a need for high, high back boosters in 10 years.

I would also buy the frontier if it came in a harnessless version and less expensive. My oldest may outgrow the turbobooster in 3 years. Since I, with my 22 inch torso do not fit my van's seatbelts properly, I would want my children in boosters till that point. We currently have no headrests in the rear positions, so backless boosters are not an option.

emandbri

if i was in the position like you yes i would. Also given that you have a dd to pass the frontier down too, i would probably buy the frontier for ds and by the time he is done wth it you could use it for dd.

That is a good point. The only problem with that plan is in 4 years when Elizabeth needs a frontier they will most likely be a seat out there like the frontier with straps that don't twist, that is easier to install, with velcro on the straps, and cuter covers! :D

thepeach80

Senior Community Member

Wasn't the Monarch like this seat minus the harness? I never got to see the Monarh IRL and I've only seen the Frontier once.

I think it was silly to discontinue the boosters, best practice is almost always going to involve a booster for most children.

emandbri

The fronteir is bigger overall. Here are the diminsions from britax's website although some of them don't make sense. :whistle:

seated height 12'' - 19''
Product Weight (lbs) 15
Exterior Product W x H x D (in) 19.5 x 26.5 x 17.5
Seating Compartment Height (in) 33
Seat Area Depth/Width (in) 14 / 10 or 12.5
Shoulder Width (in) 13
Harness Slot Heights (in)
Buckle Strap Depth (in)

frontier
Booster 13.5" to 21.5''
Exterior Product W x H x D (in) 19.5 x 22 x 26.5
Seating Compartment Height (in) 21.5
Seat Area Depth/Width (in) 13.5 / 12
Shoulder Width (in) 15.25
Harness Slot Heights (in) 12.25/13.1/14/14.9/15.75/16.5/17.4/18.25
Buckle Strap Depth (in) 5 / 6.5 / 8.25

April

I voted no. For $300 I can't see it. Then again, I havent been in a position of having a child who doesn't pass the 5 step test and is too big for the Monterey. Is that actually possible? Lol, If that situation arose, I'd probably convince DH that I need a new vehicle.

emandbri

I voted no. For $300 I can't see it. Then again, I havent been in a position of having a child who doesn't pass the 5 step test and is too big for the Monterey. Is that actually possible? Lol, If that situation arose, I'd probably convince DH that I need a new vehicle.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. This mythical seat would be cheaper than the frontier since it doesn't have a harness. My oldest almost passes the 5 step test and doesn't fit in the monterey, I'm still not happy with where the shoulder belt ends up in my van. though he fits fine in other cars.

ginny4

regardless of the price of the mythical booster. is it cheaper than buying a newER car/van.

skaterbabs

I havent been in a position of having a child who doesn't pass the 5 step test and is too big for the Monterey. Is that actually possible?

Yep. CJ doesn't pass in my Suburban, but there is no head support for using a backless booster. He outgrew the PW in Jan/Feb.

emandbri

Bumping this up to show britax again that they need to make a dedicated booster.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor

I would buy it. I don't like that my car doesn't have any type of side-impact protection (besides the frame of the car, but no side airbags or anything). I'll be much more comfortable having my kids in a HBB as long as I can before moving them to NBB or just seat belt. Heck, even I fit in the frontier in booster mode. I'd buy one for me if my family wouldn't give me crap for it (which they totally would). There are several cars where I don't pass the 5-step test.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC