Question what willyou go for?

U

Unregistered

if you need to buy a seat for a 5 years40 lb kid, would you buy a reaget and then get a hihback booster? or will go straight for frontier?
how long (age) both these keep kids harnessed this is for an average size kid on 90th percentile wt and 75th percentile ht.
thanks

ADS

MomToEliEm

I guess it depends on how long you want to harness for. If you want to harness for as long as possible (the child may be unable to sit will in a booster for many years or you just feel more comfortable in a harness), then the regent will probably be your best bet as it will allow harnessing for probably a 1-1.5 years longer then the frontier.

My child is off the growth charts on height (she has a long torso too), and at 6 years old, I keep on questioning how long she will last in the regent. The straps are right at her shoulders so if she has a growth spurt, she is out of the seat for good. The regent is outgrown when the harness falls below the child's shoulders or the child exceeds the weight limit for the harness, or the child's ears extend above the top of the carseat.

What is your child's torso height? How much does the child weigh? What seat is the child in right now? Where do the child's shoulders fall in relation to the slots on that seat? If the child is long torsed, then he may not get a lot of time in the frontier harnessed, but at 5 years old, the child may be very mature and be able to sit well in a booster seat. I don't like to see 3-4 year olds in boosters full time, but at 5 and above, a booster seat can often be a valid choice (provided the child sits properly in a booster seat).

You may want to find a store that has the regent and frontier in stock so you can check how well it fits your child and in your car. Both seats have installation issues in some cars so it is best to see how well they fit prior to buying them.

ginny4

if there is not a younger sib to pass the regent down to i'd just go with the frontier. this way you got it all covered. & the booster is THE TALLEST too.

skaterbabs

My daughter is almost 5 and about 43 lbs. If I were buying her a new seat today I'd get either the Britax Frontier or the Graco Nautilus. (We already have a Regent.)

The Frontier makes a much taller booster, but the Nautilus has higher harness slots.

Kat_Momof3

it would depend on torso height (bum to shoulder when seated)

if he had plenty of growroom in the Frontier or Nautilus, then I would go with one of them with no hesitation.

If he had special needs or was just downright immature for his age to really need to be harnessed even longer, then of course I'd go for the Regent.

But, for most kids, being in a booster starting around 6-7yrs old is not a problem.

U

Unregistered

thanks every one, this is for a child who is almost 15 inches or may be 15.5 inches torso ht, i want him to be harnessed as long as possible , this is my older one so i have another one to pass the seat down, i really dont have any idea when do kids are mature enough to be seated sensibly in belt position.right now i can see him leaning forward to pick up things and sleeping in his booster.so i want to harness him again.
currently he is 40 lbs ,43 inches tall , my daughter is in convertable and she is only 1 year ,she ill be in this seat till 65lb FF, she is now 23lbs.. so ill need the booster for her as well .. do you think i f i buy a frontier my DS will be done with it when she need it?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I didn't have the selection that's available now when I was in a similar situation a few years ago. All there was was the Husky/Regent. My DD was barely 2 years (90-97th precentile height, but never more than 30th percentile for weight) & her big half sister was barely 6 years old (also over 90th percentile height, about 50-75th percentile weight). The Husky/Regent kept my SD safer longer & was handed down to DD when she no longer fit the convertible seat RF at 4 years old (she outgrew the Boulevard by height long before weight & I handed it down to SD's new baby sister). My DD is still riding in the Husky/Regent today, just moved up to the top slot & only 2 more years 'til it expires. Big sis passed the 5 Step Test in some vehicles when she outgrew the Husky, but still required a booster in some vehicles for another year.

If you know you want to hand down the seat & you want to make sure your kid(s) are harnessed as long as possible & you have room to fit the Regent in your vehicle, then go for it. But, try it out first if you can or at least make sure the online retailer has an excellent return/exchange policy.

If you'll need a seat for travel, the Regent is not going to be your first choice.

If you're open to the idea that there will likely be even more selection to choose from by the time your younger child needs to FF then just go for the Frontier or Nautilus now :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC