Another Update on the Coble Family

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I put in and then deleted the "eye rolling" smiley about five times in my OP. I decided it was better not to taint it with my bias. But what the heck.

:rolleyes:

rosey2007

What a horrible story! My husband was a over the road truck driver and so we know how easily things like this can take place. This is what my husband fears the most.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I'd like to think he made this choice in order to save the parents more pain - a long, drawn-out court battle would be so hard on them. I hope that's what he's thinking, at least.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd like to think he made this choice in order to save the parents more pain - a long, drawn-out court battle would be so hard on them. I hope that's what he's thinking, at least.

I think he did. There were earlier reports about how he felt understandably horrible about it. I'm just surprised that even with a plea deal, the penalty seems SO low. But, it is what it is.

wow forget that giuy the punishment is never severe enough for what he took. but did you read the end she got pregnant with triplets...two girls and a boy. thats devine intervention right there i think. they must be amazing people and she is an amazing women to be strong enough to carry on.

MsFacetious

Last edited:

kaylee18

Transferred 3 embryos - thank you! It's a very common error to see the term "implanted" used mistakenly, but embryos implant (or fail to implant) all on their own. :)

Last edited:

TerisBoys

What a horrible story! My husband was a over the road truck driver and so we know how easily things like this can take place. This is what my husband fears the most.

It's Brian's worst nightmare too. I'm on pins and needles most of the winter - he runs 80/90 frequently and there are TONS of wrecks involving semis. He knows to call home every night or I'll freak.

Nisha

So this guys only "crime" was "driving at an unsafe speed for the traffic conditions that day."? I didn't see any more details than that...
As much as my heart breaks for this family, loosing all their children, and I can't imagine the pain they have delt with, is it really going to make it better if this guy spends his life in prision? Or even 10 years?
Am I the only one who sometimes gets distracted while driving and looks up and realizes someone in front of me has slowed down? I've never rear-ended anyone, but I've never drove a truck that takes considerably longer to stop than my vehicle! I don't know how many times, especially on the interstate that something distracts me and I'm not paying as much attention to the guy in front of me as I should.
I realize this guy was driving fast, but was it within the speed limit?
So do we need to punish him more (can you imagine living with the guilt that you killed somebodys babies?) just so the next trucker might remember to slow it down when driving in heavier traffic? Do you really think the next trucker will remember just because of this guy?

Am I totally out of line feeling this way?

TerisBoys

Nisha - I doubt it (that the next trucker will remember to slow down because of this one wreck).

They're on deadlines, and they push themselves or their companies push them. How many people can drive 2000+ miles a week, week after week?

A fully loaded tractor trailer weighs approximately 80,000#. They don't stop on a dime.

A year in prison might seem like a slap on the wrist. But remember - he's got to live with the fact that he took the lives of those 3 babies for the rest of his life.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
So this guys only "crime" was "driving at an unsafe speed for the traffic conditions that day."? I didn't see any more details than that...
As much as my heart breaks for this family, loosing all their children, and I can't imagine the pain they have delt with, is it really going to make it better if this guy spends his life in prision? Or even 10 years?
Am I the only one who sometimes gets distracted while driving and looks up and realizes someone in front of me has slowed down? I've never rear-ended anyone, but I've never drove a truck that takes considerably longer to stop than my vehicle! I don't know how many times, especially on the interstate that something distracts me and I'm not paying as much attention to the guy in front of me as I should.
So do we need to punish him more (can you imagine living with the guilt that you killed somebodys babies?) just so the next trucker might remember to slow it down when driving in heavier traffic? Do you really think the next trucker will remember just because of this guy?

Am I totally out of line feeling this way?

I don't think you are, but I think the facts they're reporting at this time aren't as detailed. From what I read at the time of the accident, he was not just "momentarily distracted." He plowed THROUGH that van, and it was not just randomly stopped on the highway on the other side of a hill or something - it was stopped in traffic. He also had previous violations, as did the company he worked for. This was not a "OMG I made a horrible mistake at the wrong fluke-of-an-instant," it was definitely negligence.

But I agree that putting him in jail for several years doesn't do anyone any good. I'd like to see him get involved in something like training and awareness for truck drivers, or even become a CPST to help keep other kids safe (even though the crash he caused was unsurvivable).

flipper68

Senior Community Member
IIRC, my godparents (distance trucker/transport compnay owner for many years) told me a few years ago that if a driver has a crash, their license is revoked. Or maybe it's that insuring said driver is too costly. Either way, no job, no income.

Anybody have more concrete info?

Last edited:

TerisBoys

IIRC, my godparents (distance trucker/transport compnay owner for many years) told me a few years ago that if a driver has a crash, their license is revoked. Or maybe it's that insuring said driver is too costly. Either way, no job, no income.

Anybody have more concrete info?

I know that if Brian gets a ticket even if he's NOT driving his semi, he could lose his license depending on what the violation is. Another thing that he's told me is that regardless of who's actually "at-fault" in a semi vs passenger vehicle collision, the semi driver is found "at-fault" most of the time because they ARE supposed to be more alert and aware of conditions.

So - if Granny Annie goes out cruising on Sunday and runs a stop sign in front of him, Brian would be at fault for hitting her - even if it can be proven that she blew the stop sign.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician

From the article:

Investigators determined Romero was driving at about 60 to 70 mph in a semi-truck, carrying more than 40,000 pounds of electronic equipment

The speed limit on that freeway is 65 mph. The speed limit in California for trucks with three or more axels is 55 mph. And keep in mind that those are MAXIMUMS--not the speed you're automatically allowed to drive no matter what. If you're hauling 40,000 pounds, you'd better make sure you can stop.

Trucks are also required to stay in the two right lanes of a freeway--the "slow" lanes. Sometimes traffic in the rightmost lane is flowing at 70 mph, but usually not. Since that's where people enter and exit (and generally drive more slowly), speeds are usually more like 55.

I drive that stretch of freeway quite often, and that exit is known for jamming up. A big rig driver (up high in a cab) should be able to notice traffic slowing in front of him and should be able to stop if he's driving a safe speed and keeping a safe distance between himself and the car in front of him.

This story hit close to home (literally) because of the proximity, the age of the children, and the fact that my DH responded to the call. No, the driver spending the rest of his life in prison (or 10 years, or 5 years) won't bring the kids back and won't make a difference in the long-run. At the same time, a year seems rather paltry.

jewlsvern

I myself was involved in 2 accidents (in 1 year) on that same exit area of the freeway when I lived/worked in that area. I was on maternity leave when this accident happened. In fact I was caught in the horrible traffic it produced. My exit was just 2 further down. That exit is often backed up but at different and random times of the day. Both accidents I was involved in were a result of a "sudden" stop of traffic. Visibility is not always the greatest. The rest of the freeway flies but the exit lane often backs up around the time of the accident (school is getting out).

I am not making excuses for what happened but it is very common on this stretch of the highway. Trucks are always flying. Cars are going 70-80+. Yeah, 1 year doesn't seem like much, but this guy is going to have to live with the guilt of what happened every day of his life. It wasn't intentional, but an accident. Everyone thinks it will never happen to them, but this proves it can. I feel for both the Coble's and the driver. It was horrible thing to happen.

Nisha

From the article:

The speed limit on that freeway is 65 mph. The speed limit in California for trucks with three or more axels is 55 mph. And keep in mind that those are MAXIMUMS--not the speed you're automatically allowed to drive no matter what. If you're hauling 40,000 pounds, you'd better make sure you can stop.

Trucks are also required to stay in the two right lanes of a freeway--the "slow" lanes. Sometimes traffic in the rightmost lane is flowing at 70 mph, but usually not. Since that's where people enter and exit (and generally drive more slowly), speeds are usually more like 55.

I drive that stretch of freeway quite often, and that exit is known for jamming up. A big rig driver (up high in a cab) should be able to notice traffic slowing in front of him and should be able to stop if he's driving a safe speed and keeping a safe distance between himself and the car in front of him.

This story hit close to home (literally) because of the proximity, the age of the children, and the fact that my DH responded to the call. No, the driver spending the rest of his life in prison (or 10 years, or 5 years) won't bring the kids back and won't make a difference in the long-run. At the same time, a year seems rather paltry.

Thanks for that bit of info. I wasn't sure about the speed limits since I don't live in or anywhere near a city and don't know CA laws.

Regardless it's a terrible thing to happen to both parties! :(

shellebelle

Senior Community Member
He plowed THROUGH that van, and it was not just randomly stopped on the highway on the other side of a hill or something - it was stopped in traffic.

I saw that van and the semi was all the way through it to the second row of seats. IIRC the van was pushed into at least one other car in front of it, so we're talking about some force here :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC