what infant seat to recommend?

Michi

My cousin is pregnant with her first baby.
I haven't shopped for an infant seat in awhile (4 years!) and she wants me to help her shop for one.

I like either the SS1 or the Keyfit just because of their higher weight limits, but are there others we should consider?
(She has a Saturn Vue - if that makes any difference)

ADS

Citrine

I can not comment on the Key fit bc I never owned it. I have had the SS1 and loved it the moment I got it. It is super easy to install using the seatbelt. It has a seat belt lock off and once the seat is in there it aint moving. I never used the latch. It was easy to losen and tighten the harness. Rethreading was not a problem when I had to move the harness up another slot. I had an 03 eddie bauer infant seat and did not like that at all. the straps were always getting twisted on me and I would need to unthread, untwist, then rethread. It is heavy but I rarely took it out of the car, I used a baby carrie instead. I loved SS1 and cant wait for the next one to come along so I can use it again.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
For ease of installation, the Keyfit and SS1 are great choices. They're both crazy easy.

Other than that, it's hard to go wrong with infant seats. Avoid anything with a rear-adjuster (less convenient and therefore more room for error than with front-adjust). Also, make sure there are no issues with the handle position in the car. Some require handles to be back (or even be back with extra clearance--Evenflo) and therefore might pose a problem in a small back seat.

rosey2007

I have looked at both the Keyfit and the SS1 and liked the Keyfit so much more. I felt that Keyfit had a solid feel to it and it was so easy to install. I also loved the infant insert that the Keyfit has. I know that I am strange but I liked the Snugride better then the SS1 for some reason, but I have not tried installing it yet, so that could be another story LOL.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I don't think the extra $$ for a SS1 or the Keyfit 30 is worth it. Once a baby is 20+ lbs. it's less practical to use the seat as a carrier - too heavy.

While I appreciate the convience of an IO for little ones (especially in nasty weather),when I see parents (especially smaller moms) lugging an older baby & carrier I can't help but think it would be easier to use a stroller or sling.

While I love the Keyfit because of it's ease of installation in a variety of vehicles and that their covers are not "baby" or super "girlie," I'm not sure I would fork over the $$ for a seat that will be used for less than a year (often significantly less).

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
There's a $94 SS1 at Albeebaby.com now, I don't think that's a lot to spend on a seat with a super nice harness and a fabulously easy to install base that may be extremely convenient for a mom who may not be able to predict if she has a fast gaining baby (um, that would be ALL of us, lol, any of us could get stuck with a 23 pound 6 month old who isn't even a good sitter yet and be heaving sighs of relief that we have a seat with a 30 lb limit, IMO).

:twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC