old truck seat belt

mamom

My husband recently purchased an old truck, to use for trapping/hunting to save wear and tear on our good truck. (Please don't flame me I know everyone is not prohunting here). He periodically takes one of the children with him when he goes. (HE HAS NOT TAKEN THEM IN THIS TRUCK YET) There is also another adult that goes too, sometimes.

I would like to be able to put a carseat either outboard or in the middle. The middle seatbelt is no problem because it is a normal lap belt only "pull" type that locks.

However, the outboard seat belt is something I have not seen before. it is a should/lap belt that each part comes out of the "retracter(sp?)" seperatly and neither part locks. What would I need to do if I would need to place a carseat there, i.e. if both children went (only 1 adult).

ADS

TerisBoys

Check the owners manual for both the truck and the carseat. Some carseats forbid dual-retractor belts IIRC.

mamom

I will check the owners manual on the car seats that I have; however, the truck did NOT come with an owners manual.

skaterbabs

IF it's what I'm picturing, then you must use a belt shortening clip. These are a pain in the butt, and hard to get your hands one.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
Is the latchplate sewn on to the lap and shoulder belts? If so, likely need a belt shortening clip. I'd go for the center just for ease of use!

mamom

Yes the latch plate is sewn onto the shoulder and lap belt. If I wanted to get a belt shortening clip would I just contact a GM dealer? Does anyone happen to know approx. what they cost. THANKS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Yes the latch plate is sewn onto the shoulder and lap belt. If I wanted to get a belt shortening clip would I just contact a GM dealer? Does anyone happen to know approx. what they cost. THANKS

HOWEVER, please note that installing with a belt-shortening clip is NOT for the inexperienced. If you do decide to get a belt-shortening clip so that you can install a child restraint in this position, please seek out a CPST (in person :)) who is comfortable installing with a BSC.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
HOWEVER, please note that installing with a belt-shortening clip is NOT for the inexperienced. If you do decide to get a belt-shortening clip so that you can install a child restraint in this position, please seek out a CPST (in person :)) who is comfortable installing with a BSC.

Agreed. I would say the majority of techs have never actually had to use a belt shortening clip! They took a pole at my update class and there were only 2 or 3 techs who had ever had to use one!

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor

Agreed. I would say the majority of techs have never actually had to use a belt shortening clip! They took a pole at my update class and there were only 2 or 3 techs who had ever had to use one!

EXACTLY!! I would not be worried about the cost of the shortening clip nearly as much as how difficult they are to use. I agree that most techs rarely or never have used one, so be sure to find an experienced intructor or technician who knows what they are doing if you need to go that route. Instructors probably have the most experience with BSC, simply because they must teach it so many times in each class!

mamom

I wasn't really worried about the price, just wanted to know that to expect. If I am able to find one, I will seek out a CPST to help install it, and teach me how to as well. Thank you for all of your help. My children't safety comes first, my husband just wants to teach my children as well. Until I get all of this done, only 1 child can go and they MUST be in a car seat installed with the NORMAL middle seat belt.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I haven't experiencesd a belt shortening clip since tech class. I'd have to get the class materials out before attempting.

I would also caution that most people (including techs) will have no idea what you are talking about. Since a the belt shortening clip looks almost exactly like a locking clip, I would be very sure to confirm it is a BSC and not just a regular locking clip.

Re: the owners manual - I bet you could get access to one on line. There are lots of people "into" older trucks. Might also be able to find one at a dealership.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC