Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    yarie

Question infant vs convertible

What is the benefit of buying an infant seat over a convertilbe? I have noticed that the convertible seats permit infants from 5-40 pounds and the infants seats are from 5-20 pounds. Are there additional features specifically for infants in the smaller seats?
    Thanks

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Infant seats fit small babies so much better. Unless you have a baby with an exceptionally long torso, very few babies actually fit a convertible seat from birth.
    If you click on my car seat page you'll see pictures of my daughter at about 3 months old in a Britax Roundabout (RA) and two different infant seats. She's well below the bottom harness slots of the RA, and fits beautifully in the infant seats. IIRC, she weighed about 9-10 lbs when the pics were taken.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

CPS Technician
    Convenience generally. You can just take out the whole seat when eating out, grocery shopping, etc instead of waking baby (my kids slept every time they got in the car). Some people love having convertibles from birth, but I really liked the convenience.
    Jennifer, Special Needs CPST, peds nurse, and CSFTL Admin mom to:
    AJ-13 (five steps), Evan-11 (nbb),
    Ilana-9 (nbb) ,
    Olivia-7 (hbb), and
    Unity-3 (rf and ff)