I played with the Compass infant seat today

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
On my way home this afternoon I had some extra time, so I stopped by Zellers hoping they might have one of the travel systems set up. :cool:

And they did. :D

So here are my thoughts in no particular order...

• The carrier seems quite light weight, yet sturdy. It snaps cleanly into the base and releases easily.
  • The harness height adjustment is a sliding mechanism on the back. There are 2 heights, the lower one seems plenty low for a 4lb baby, but I didn't have a measuring tape with me.
  • The harness adjuster strap hides under a velcro flap so it's not dangling from the carrier at all times. I thought that was rather nice. The harness is anchored separately on each hip, and adjusts smoothly. It has strap covers and the same type of head support as the head support of the True Fit.
  • The lock-off on the base could be a little difficult to close when installed - I found the mechanism to be a little cumbersome, but it's not a huge deal.
  • It has 2 separate LATCH straps that store in the base. I think LATCH install will be very easy with it having separate straps to pull on each side.
  • The recline adjustment on the base is pretty easy to use, but the foot on it is rather odd. It's about an inch in depth and has space behind it, so if an extra towel or pool noodles are needed it could be interesting - this will be one of those things that only installing in a car will answer.
  • The recline indicator is quite a small range, but unlike the TF that looks over-reclined when installed line level with ground, the carrier looks like a perfect angle when the ball is in the green area.
  • 4 to 22lb weight limit, rated to 30" for height or as long as 1" of hard shell above head.
  • Handle must be in position "E" (furthest down from the top position.) Because it's fairly low - think close to position E on the snugride, I don't expect it will interfere with how far back the vehicle seat can go.

Probably the biggest thing to keep in mind about this seat is that it can only be installed WITH the base. This is very clearly emphasized multiple times in the manual, and on the carrier itself. With the seat being new in Canada, I don't know how difficult it will be to locate a store that sells individual bases - I wonder if parents will have to order extras from Learning Curve directly for the first while?

One other thing of interest, the manual states that a locking clip can be ordered from learning curve and the base can be installed with a locking clip instead of the lock-off if so desired. It states that Learning Curve strongly recommends that the lock-off be used at all times, but if a parent doesn't want to use the lock-off, a locking clip in the case of a free sliding latchplate is acceptable.

I think that's about everything. The seat is really nice overall and I look forward to seeing how a baby fits in it and how it installs in a car. With the low weight limit, and it being relatively light to carry, I think that this seat will be a really nice option.

(I didn't get the stroller down from the shelf so can't speak for how it pushes around. It does recline completely flat though, so will definitely work for newborns and the other angle adjustments are close to infinite due to the adjustment system. It seems nice, but I didn't spend too much time looking at it. ;))

Last edited:
ADS

hipmaman

I keep checking the 4 Zellers w/in reasonable drive distance, but they don't have this travel system to check out :(

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Just thought I'd add these to the discussion:

CSO%20006.jpg
CSO%20007.jpg

canadiangie

That's an excellent price. Too bad that it requires a base though... not a deal breaker of course, but just too bad. I know a few posters on a different board have had the Compass I/O seat and really liked it... I think with it having such a friendly price point and being so accessable it might filter in to the mainstream. Some good old fashioned competition for the current "big 3" (Graco, Evenflo and Dorel). :thumbsup:

snowbird25ca

It really is a nice seat. It would be nice to see both it and the TF become more common. We do sell quite a few of the TF at work, I hope we get the compass seat in to BRU/TRU too. :)

canadiangie

Yes, when I casually asked if the TF is a good seller at Sunridge TRU in Calgary the salesperson told me they can't keep it in stock. (I had to wait for a new shippment to come in). And when I casually debated with her about getting the TF or the 3-in-1 she was very quick to tell me that the TF harnessed longer and that keeping your kiddo in a car seat (as she put it) was the best idea. She told me that the 3-in-1 went to 40lbs and that the TF went to 65lbs. I followed up with conversation with a side by side comparison of top harness slots (to which she was fascinated) and was sure to mention that the TF would last my dd at least 2 yrs longer. :thumbsup: It was great. :)

I have to say that all these budget friendly, great seats hitting our market makes me pretty happy. :D

snowbird25ca

Yes, when I casually asked if the TF is a good seller at Sunridge TRU in Calgary the salesperson told me they can't keep it in stock. (I had to wait for a new shippment to come in). And when I casually debated with her about getting the TF or the 3-in-1 she was very quick to tell me that the TF harnessed longer and that keeping your kiddo in a car seat (as she put it) was the best idea. She told me that the 3-in-1 went to 40lbs and that the TF went to 65lbs. I followed up with conversation with a side by side comparison of top harness slots (to which she was fascinated) and was sure to mention that the TF would last my dd at least 2 yrs longer. :thumbsup: It was great. :)

I have to say that all these budget friendly, great seats hitting our market makes me pretty happy. :D

Hey, sounds like you talked to someone pretty knowledgeable even. :thumbsup:

I think the delay in the seats coming in was because the new shipment has the recall labels applied to them. So I think that's why the seats were out of stock for a few weeks. We're still selling a lot, but we're getting regular shipments of them now so they shouldn't be out of stock that often.

canadiangie

Yes, she did seem knowledgable, and was very nice to speak with. It was refreshing. :)

As for the recall, refresh my memory..

It was the french side, and had something to do with weights (obviously).

When I took my friends TF out of the box to play with, the french sticker was one of the first things I looked at, but the combined confusion of trying to read french, and the fact that I couldn't remember what I was looking for, made me give up so to speak. FTR, this seat will live in AB all it's life, and be owned by some very *non-french* speaking people LOL. ;) But I'd still like to know what to peak at just for kicks.

snowbird25ca

Yes, she did seem knowledgable, and was very nice to speak with. It was refreshing. :)

As for the recall, refresh my memory..

It was the french side, and had something to do with weights (obviously).

When I took my friends TF out of the box to play with, the french sticker was one of the first things I looked at, but the combined confusion of trying to read french, and the fact that I couldn't remember what I was looking for, made me give up so to speak. FTR, this seat will live in AB all it's life, and be owned by some very *non-french* speaking people LOL. ;) But I'd still like to know what to peak at just for kicks.

The weight listed under the picture of the rf'ing w/o headrest showed 23 to 65lbs, and under the ff'ing it said 5 to 22lbs.

If the sticker has a green circle in the lower right hand corner of the french sticker, then you have the replacement sticker already applied. Our shipment that came in after being out of stock had the new stickers applied, so if they were out of stock in Calgary for awhile and yours is from the new shipment, I'm guessing it should have that green circle too. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC