Introducing myself

healthyhome4us

I don't know where to start - with my introduction or an enormous thank you to the board for your valuable help. The members of this board have been so kind, always gracious with their advice, and, extremely helpful to me in choosing new car seats for our family.

11 months ago,,our family suffered a great loss - a member of my extended family lost her life in a tragic car accident. She was a beautiful person, a mother of 3 lovely children.

This past year has been sad but,also life changing for me. I have looked deeply into ways of improving the quality of our family life, really taking time to feel joy with my children and husband,,and also trying to make little changes to make our lives healthier and safer. It started with food and exercise,,then our home, then our vehicle. That is when I stumbled upon your board.

I have worked at a baby store for approx. 3years,,Thus far, I have focused much of my energy on the other creative and "fun" areas of the store- nursery decorating, toys, strollers (yes,,I'm a big fan, collector, etc.)
I would walk quickly past the car seat section, always happy to find customers looking for decorating or stroller help.

Thanks to this board, I am happy to say, that helping a parent in the car seat section now MAKES MY DAY! It is a feeling that lasts all day, sometimes all week! I offer parents the chance to try seats out in their cars,,,I have guided parents through installing their seats much tighter and then let them know of their closest car seat check point for a final check. Just last week I was able to identify a mother, in line at the register, and ready to check out with a child restraint that was not rear facing - for her 9 month old. She did not know that her local Police Station installs for free,,,she was going to take this seat home and install herself. She truly believed she was purchasing a very safe seat for her baby. I took her back to the section, and she left with a Signo. I feel so fortunate to have found an area at work that truly makes me feel like I have made a difference in a family's life. I have many of you to thank for this.

The advice and help you have given me here,,have not only provided a safer ride for my children, but for other children as well, it has made me a better driver, and has helped me find meaning in my work too!

With much gratitude,
Carmen
FF 6 year old DS in Britax Frontier
FF 4.5 year old DD in Radian 65
RF 20 month old in Marathon (32 lbs yikes!..now what???!)

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Good for you! It sounds like you're doing a lot to help people!

Many of us here would consider the car seat section to be the most fun part of a baby store :D

Have you considered becoming a technician? Maybe your boss would pay the fees involved since you would be providing an extra benefit to the store.

(An aside: I hope your local police department TEACHES parents how to install their seats rather than doing it for them. A good tech makes sure the parent leaves comfortable doing things themselves.)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Aw, this is such a wonderful post :love: Thanks so much for sharing :) & ditto everything Jennie said :thumbsup:

Mommy2Marcus

Hiya & Welcome to the board! I have also found a great area in my life with car seats! I have actually considered working in a baby store just for this reason to!

It sounds like you have been helping lots of people! I agree with LisMama said about the car seat section being the best part of a baby store!

Thanks for sharing your story with us! Hope to see you around more!

U

Unregistered

Thank you for the warm welcome :)

My boss has offered for me to do this...how do I go about it?

Our local police dept,,did explain somethings to me when installing ours but, it was not a hands on instruction...which would be ideal...

I agree about the importance of educating parents on proper installation,,I imagine that is actually the KEY to increasing proper use of restraints.

I am a former teacher, now SAHM..firm believer in education of many types.
Pardon the cliche but...remember the story - catch a fish for a man,,,he eats for a day? Teach him to fish - he eats for a lifetime..

Install a seat for a parent - safer for now,,,teach a parent to install - safer for ever.

Also,,,teaching something is the best way to learn something.

I think what is special is that I now work in a place,,where parents COME to us for advice on these matters - mine might be the ONLY advice they ever seek/get. I take that with immense responsibility.

Carmen

Ok, yes...I should do this - how do I do this??!!

Oh - and how do you all upload those great photos (helpful and..adorable!) - I'd love to be able to do that! any links for advice on this?

healthyhome4us

Thank you all for your hopsitality,
Your encouraging words in this thread - helped me alot..
I found a course and I am now registering to be a technician this fall, just waiting to hear back from the instructor.

And thank you for the welcome comments and rep points too, much appreciated!

cpsaddict

:happy-wavehello: When I go to the baby store, I skip everything else and go straight for the car seats! :D Careful, it's an addiction, although as far as addictions go, it's a good one!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC