Peds should know the recommandations.

lorinick

I was at work last night when a lady and her mother asked me about booster seats. I see a little one sitting in the shopping cart. I ask who are we shopping for? She say her in the cart. I ask how old she is and the women says 15mts and she weighs 21lb. and is 31 inches tall. I tell her I think dc is to young to sit in a booster and stress she should be rf. She goes on to tell me she was at her peds office and he told the mother to turn her ff. Get this because she's tall. The mother did read that the AOP recommends 35rf to the weight of the seat. But he told her no. I can believe that. I said he is wrong. Keep her rf. I'm happy to say I told her how much safer 5 times safer rf. They bought 2 EFTA and will keep her RF. I'm just angry that a mother who wanted to do the right thing was told by her dc doctor not to. My son is 30.5 inches tall and just turned one 21lb. I guess he would say he was to tall too. I was so busy I didn't ask what her Peds name was. I never asked at my dc one year vistit and they didn't mention it. Just thought I would share. GRR!:mad:

ADS

fyrfightermomma

This used to drive me nuts too. I always thought that this is the person parents really listen to. Do they listen to other moms? not so much. Techs? maybe... doctors? Of course!

So it drove me nuts when they gave out bad info. But then I realized. Car seats are on the bottom of their list. THey have so many other things to think about and diseases to learn and treatments and drugs to memorize. After all that, would you have time to think about car seats?

It's sad, but true. Doctors just don't have the time to learn these things. But I wish they would advertise that and just tell parents "I really don't know the answer to your question, but here's how to find a tech in your area and they would be happy to help" instead of BSing their way through an explanation that isnt even right.

And you have to remember, the more time they spend learning other things, the less time they have to learn about medical things. Would you rather have your doc know how to treat your seriously ill child, or tell you which car seat to buy?

I'd pick the diseases :twocents:

finleysmommy

Yikes! I'm really glad you helped her out. My ped told me the same thing when my middle child was one. I told him that DS would be staying RF'ing.

HEVY

If you know what's safer why would you listen to someone who is telling you different, regardless of who it is. I'm glad you were able to convince her.

cowgirlsmommy

I think many doctors don't have the correct car seat info. I have one of the few who does. He was proud of me for practicing ERF and said if anyone in my family ever gave me a problem about it, to bring them into his office and he would set them straight. He also told me that if he had his way, adults would sit rear facing too because it's just that much safer.

Mommy2Marcus

It really is sad, I know. However I kind of agree with Eviesmama. However I feel that they should at the very least know what the AAP reccomends as car seats are important to. I also agree that if they are not going to keep up to date on these things then they need to point people in the right direction!

I am SO glad however that she listened to you & bought the 2 EFTA's instead of a booster & decided to keep her child RF! WTG for you sharing & helping her out!

I got lucky in the fact that my pedi listened to me when I talked to her about ERF. She now reccomends it! I am very pleased with this & the fact that she didn't just blow me off! Who knows what my next one will say! Wish me luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC