Thinking about switching things up...

What would you do? (read the thread before voting please) ;)

• Sell MA now and buy an EFTA until the Nautilus gets here & you can re-evaluate.

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • Wait to sell MA until you know if the Nautilus will work.

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Another option I haven't thought of

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Clicky box just because every poll needs one.

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
This is a WWYD question. :thumbsup:

Here's the background...

Right now I have 4 seats for 2 kids and we're a single vehicle family. I want to keep spare seats for the kids in case of emergency, so having 2 extra seats is necessary. (I have a short strapped radian as well, but I don't count it since it's not a personal use seat.)

Right now I have 1 radian, 1 MA, 1 TF, and 1 EFTA. The TF and EFTA are currently being used by my dd and ds, while the radian and MA are in storage.

Long term plan, is that I will buy a Nautilus for dd once it's available in Canada. This should happen some time around Christmas or the early new year. Dd has plenty of growing room in the TF, so I have time to wait in that regard.

I plan to sell the MA, and the funds from that will go towards a new seat, so my options are:

- sell the MA now and buy an EFTA - it will depreciate less sitting in my basement than the MA will, and I might even use it for dd and put the TF in storage. (I really love the EFTA.)
- wait to sell the MA until the Nautilus is here. This will probably knock another $30 to $40 off of it's resale value depending on how soon I sell it, so in the long run I'd be out more money - selling my MA right now will completely pay for another EFTA and I'll still have money left over...

In the end the money will probably work out about equal even if I buy the EFTA since I can resell one of my seats once the Nautilus is here...

So WWYD?

(This is assuming that the Nautilus installs well in my truck... if it ends up not installing well, then whatever I have now is what I'd be keeping, and I don't want to have the MA as an every day seat when we eventually get a 2nd vehicle...)

ADS

tiggercat

I'd probably wait until the Nautilus is available, but I'm not a lot of fun that way (Megan's only ever had 2 seats, both MAs, and won't be getting new ones until she outgrows them).

raelynn

Senior Community Member
Since you aren't using the MA, sell it now and get an EFTA and then get a Nautilus this winter.

snowbird25ca

Sell the MA, and buy a Scenera! Save yourself some profit. They do have the Scenera in Canada, right ?

We have the Scenera, but it's $79 on a good day. (If Wal-mart has it rolled back, otherwise it's $99.) The EFTA I can get for $130 and it would be a permanent seat if the Nautilus didn't work.

It really sucks that an economical seat for you guys is more expensive here in Canada than the current comfort sport we have at work. At least for $80 you get EPS foam with it. Although I don't know if it would fit either of my kids and I hate the fabric on it. :eek:

MissAllyLou

We have the Scenera, but it's $79 on a good day. (If Wal-mart has it rolled back, otherwise it's $99.) The EFTA I can get for $130 and it would be a permanent seat if the Nautilus didn't work.

It really sucks that an economical seat for you guys is more expensive here in Canada than the current comfort sport we have at work. At least for $80 you get EPS foam with it. Although I don't know if it would fit either of my kids and I hate the fabric on it. :eek:

Bummer!! Well, then sell the MA and buy the EFTA I guess!

northernmommy

Can I ask why you don't like your MA? I'm fighting the urge to get one for DS once DD2 needs his RN...but mostly for the cover options!

snowbird25ca

Can I ask why you don't like your MA? I'm fighting the urge to get one for DS once DD2 needs his RN...but mostly for the cover options!

The cover is really the only thing that makes it hard to sell my MA. :eek:

Probably the biggest reason I'm getting rid of it is that it's not going to last either kid long term. After riding in the Radian part of last winter, dd didn't like the MA when she was put back in it because her shoulders were getting tight. Ds is fairly broad in the shoulders and it was hard to position him in it rf'ing.

Rf'ing tether isn't a make it or break it point for me, so I don't really care about that...

The harness adjustment mechanism bugs the heck out of me - it's not as difficult as the Radian in the cold, but it's still not easy.

It's not a bad seat, but I just don't love it or the way either kid fits in it anymore. I thought it was awesome when I first got it - but there were no other comparable options at the time. Now there's just not much that the MA has that other seats don't - and the other seats cost less. Dd has the least growing room in it, and picks it last when I asked her which seat she likes best.

And it's highly unlikely to get dd past 5.5 in the harness and I want her harnessed until around 6 or 7.

So it just doesn't make sense for me to keep it with it also being the most expensive seat. And in some ways I feel guilty for having such a nice seat in storage in the basement. It's really not so much that I don't like my MA, it's more that I like other seats much better and don't plan to use the MA long term for either kid just because other seats fit them better.

shauburg

I would not want to have to sell seats twice (first the MA, then the EFTA or TF once the GN arrives), so I voted to wait. Besides, isn't it fun to have 4 different seats at your disposal, in case someone posts a strange question about one of them!?!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC